Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Valanciunas Mix

Default Re: Val mix

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    All 3 are still scoring-oriented PFs who don't give you much on defense so the comparison is valid. They're just on different tiers where Dirk in his prime was a superstar (still is I guess), Bosh is a player who will legitmately make some All-Star teams while Bargnani overall is average to slightly above-average.

Unless Valanciunas turns into a defensive monster similar to Dwight Howard (yea right) then I still think Ed Davis (assuming he doesn't bust completely) is the PF that you should be looking to pair him up with. Just because you put a "PF" beside Bargnani's name doesn't absolve him of playing interior D and rebounding. Maybe if he was far more efficient as an offensive player it would be easier to swallow but he hasn't been.
    Ideally none of these players will be paired in the front court long term.
    The reality is you need at least one all-star calibre front court player.

All of these guys including Bargs and val would make nice complements to that player.

Since it is easier to find an all-star pf (I'm thinking a 20 and 10 guy) than c I like the idea of developing val.

I like ed and amir too, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade one or both if we could get a legit piece at another position where we are not stacked.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Valanciunas Mix

i don't think you mess with the frontcourt rotation you have right now. They all compliment each other so well. Bargs as a pure scorer covered on defense with Valanciunas behind him. Val stays around the rim on offense and compliments Bargs there too. Davis comes off the bench as a contrast to Bargs at the 4 and occasionally next to Bargs. His combo of athleticim,rebounding and skill works well next to either player. You also have Alabi and Amir if you want more size and defense. They should keep this group together as long as possible. Its championship caliber as these players mature. Potential to be LAL quality

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

we've seen what happens when you try to compliment bargnani

there's not a player outside of Dwight Howard who would do what needs to be done DEFENSIVELY and REBOUNDING wise to make up for how horrid bargnani is in those 2 areas

http://twitter.com/#!/ekoreen

A source with knowledge of the negotiations confirms #Raptors reach buyout agreement with Lietuvos for Valanciunas. He joins TO in 12-13.
    Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Not sure if it's been posted here but something to get excited about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNugzv7_Uo

it's just a highlight reel, but damn, pretty encouraging motor.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef

that's good news. nice.

You've gotta love Bryan Colangelo.

He picks a European first overall at the beginning of his tenure here; get's burned hard by that player, who turns out to be a pus[COLOR="Black"]s[/COLOR]y-ass waste of talent; re-signs that same worthless European player for big money; get's re-signed as GM despite utter lack of success (thank you MLSE for not giving a ****!); and what is the first ****ing thing he does?

He drafts another big dopey European "center" who will help ensure the Raptors' continued status as the softest, whitest team in the NBA since they desegregated the b[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Black"]it[/COLOR][/COLOR]ch!?! ****.

Actually, there is a rational part of me that realizes that this was a weak draft, that Valanciunas arguably has the most upside of any prospect in it, and that his staying in Europe in a season that will be raped by the lockout anyway will allow the Raptors to tank again and get Sullinger/Barnes/Gilchrist. Part of me realizes that Kemba is a midget and Knight lacks elite athleticism, and that neither are true point guards, and that the rest of the prospects in the draft were pretty uniformly mediocre.

And yet I can't help but laugh at Colangelo's obsession with Europeans, and I also can't help but think that Colangelo should have made a safe pick if he wants a better chance of keeping his job (if Valanciunas isn't a rookie of the year candidate when he does arrive, or if Knight or Kemba ARE rookie of the year candidates next year, I want Colangelo tarred, feathered, and tied onto the next train out of town).

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.G.
    You've gotta love Bryan Colangelo.

He picks a European first overall at the beginning of his tenure here; get's burned hard by that player, who turns out to be a pus[COLOR="Black"]s[/COLOR]y-ass waste of talent; re-signs that same worthless European player for big money; get's re-signed as GM despite utter lack of success (thank you MLSE for not giving a ****!); and what is the first ****ing thing he does?

He drafts another big dopey European "center" who will help ensure the Raptors' continued status as the softest, whitest team in the NBA since they desegregated the b[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Black"]it[/COLOR][/COLOR]ch!?! ****.

Actually, there is a rational part of me that realizes that this was a weak draft, that Valanciunas arguably has the most upside of any prospect in it, and that his staying in Europe in a season that will be raped by the lockout anyway will allow the Raptors to tank again and get Sullinger/Barnes/Gilchrist. Part of me realizes that Kemba is a midget and Knight lacks elite athleticism, and that neither are true point guards, and that the rest of the prospects in the draft were pretty uniformly mediocre.

And yet I can't help but laugh at Colangelo's obsession with Europeans, and I also can't help but think that Colangelo should have made a safe pick if he wants a better chance of keeping his job (if Valanciunas isn't a rookie of the year candidate when he does arrive, or if Knight or Kemba ARE rookie of the year candidates next year, I want Colangelo tarred, feathered, and tied onto the next train out of town).
    Now, please, I want all the people who said that the anti-euro thing is all in our minds to adress this post.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

It's apparent in some posters. How often did AMG post here during the season? Once a month? You're right though, that was over the top and a bit of an overreaction too.

I feel like most of the hate towards this pick is due to not knowing anything about Valanciunas. He seems to be pretty much what this team needs in the future, but people are impatient I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Doko
    Now, please, I want all the people who said that the anti-euro thing is all in our minds to adress this post.
    agree that his was a pretty belligerent post, but most of the people you accuse of anti-euro actually like this pick. We don't care that he is a euro, we are excited by the fact that he is a more traditional big with rebounding and defensive capability.

In the Under 19 FIBA tournament today, Val dropped 23 points (6/11 FG, 11/15 FT) and 11 rebounds on the US team.

Dunking on everybody in the park hassano's Avatar

solid numbers, i just wanna see some highlights and who he was playing against

Review of his game today:

[QUOTE]Yes, it was just an exhibition game. And yes, Team USA

NBA lottery pick

I really want to see this guy play. It's gonna be a long ass year.

Local High School Star bballnoob's Avatar

I think the mid range shot could be a weapon for Valanciunas (FT shooting usually translates to overall shooting ability fairly well) but I'm glad his inclination is to play in the paint first.

I do think fouls will be a pretty big problem with him (not out of the ordinary) his first few years in the league though. His foul rate was high overseas and the NBA is a lot more strict in that regard.

Diaw Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    I really want to see this guy play. It's gonna be a long ass year.
    Watch the FIBA games then. He's playing in both the U19 tourney right now and in the FIBA Eurobasketball tournament with the national team.
    Last edited by Prodigy; 06-29-2011 at 03:54 AM.