Default Re: San Antonio Spurs: For Old Time Sake | 2k13 Association

Trade Update:

Grizzlies Trade: Tayshaun Prince, 2014 2nd round pick
    Jazz Trade: Alec Burks, Raja Bell

Bobcats Trade: Josh McRoberts
    Mavericks Trade: Anthony Morrow

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Carmelo Anthony wins All Star Game MVP with 23 points and 10 rebounds on 8-11 shooting from the field and 3-3 from 3pt.

The East defeated the West 101-90.

February 19, 2013: Spurs defeat Kings in Sacramento for their 40th win of the season.

Trade deadline is 2 days away.

Multiple league sources have confirmed that the Detroit Pistons began seriously shopping Greg Monroe on February 18, just a day after the All-Star Game.

Apparently Monroe has been vocal about the Pistons current state since his announcement as an All-Star earlier this month.

The Detroit Pistons sit at 23-32 with just a day before the Trade Deadline.

Whether he is doing this to try to guarantee a big pay-day when his contract ends in a few years or not, whatever happens to Monroe will be a big deadline story.

February 21, 2013

Greg Monroe's 20 point and 8 rebound game in a loss against the Charlotte Bobcats may mark the final time he'll be in a Detroit Pistons uniform. With the trade deadline coming up in several hours, the prevalent rumor is that Monroe is set to be a Cavalier in a deal that will most likely send Anderson Varejao to the Pistons.

The Wizards and Celtics have both been big names when it comes to bringing in Monroe, but the weights seem to have shifted. Only time will tell.

@WojYahooNBA

Greg Monroe headed to San Antonio with Jonas Jerekbo, league sources tell Y! Sports

@WojYahooNBA

Spurs will be sending Mills, Splitter, Diaw, and an unprotected 2014 1st round pick, league sources tell Y! Sports

@WojYahooNBA

Spurs offer is arguably worse than others, but Monroe wanted to be a Spur. Neither player will play @LAC tonight, sources tell Y!

POTG: Tony Parker

Recap:
    What happens when you take Boris Diaw, Tiago Splitter, and Patrick Mills away from the Spurs and replace them with empty seats on the bench? A 94-84 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers in Staples Center sounds about right.

While the Spurs were shorthanded, it should also be noted that the Clippers were missing their superstar point guard Chris Paul, someone who certainly would have made a huge difference in this game. Particularly in the 4th quarter when the Clippers struggled.

Tony Parker led the Spurs to victory with 29 points and 6 assists on 12-19 shooting from the field.

"Coach [Gregg] Popovich made it clear that it'd be a tooth and nail struggle tonight, and he was right. We're happy to come away with the win and can't wait for the new guys." Parker commented.

Blake Griffin and Chauncey Billups had 20 points each, but it wasn't enough to stop the Spurs.

Eric Bledsoe scored 11 points and dished 4 assists in his return game against the Clippers. The crowd cheered for him as he stepped on to the court, but the lay-up from Bledsoe that soon followed generated more of a mixed response.

The Spurs going 8-20 from the 3pt line didn't help quite as much as their 34 bench points (compared to the Clippers 21).

San Antonio will head over to Golden State to face the Warriors tomorrow. Greg Monroe and Jonas Jerebko are both expected to be in action.

@tonyparker

@M10OSE and @JonasJerebko will greet us in GS! so excited to meet them as teammates and play with them tomorrow!

Tony Parker is listed as a game time decision for tonight's game against the Warriors.

Spurs medical staff cites a Strained Groin that had been bothering Parker since late in the 4th quarter of last night's game. It apparently only got worse as the long day went on.

Looks like Parker will miss the game. Monroe and Jerebko will be debuting though!

Tomorrow as the Spurs enjoy a day off their general manager R.C. Buford will hold a press conference in San Antonio to discuss the team, primarily the recent trade involving Greg Monroe. Stand out questions/answers will be posted for you to read.

POTG: Eric Bledsoe

Recap:
    No Tony Parker, no problem. The San Antonio Spurs beat the Golden State Warriors 96-89 on Friday night, putting the Warriors below .500 at home.

Eric Bledsoe filled in nicely for Parker, scoring 13 points and dishing out 9 assists in 20 minutes.

"Tony [Parker] being out was very short notice and I wasn't expecting to start. I'm happy I filled in well and we pulled out the win without him." Bledsoe commented.

Stephen Curry shone for the Warriors, scoring a game-high 25 points and also grabbing 4 rebounds and 6 assists (11-19 FG). However the poor performance from Klay Thompson (2-10FG, 1-4 3pt, 7pts, 5ast, fouled out late in the 4th) held the Warriors back.

Manu Ginobili scored 18 points on 5-10 shooting, a big improvement from last night's 6 points on 2-7 shooting.

Greg Monroe debuted with 9 points and 5 rebounds (4-7FG) in 16 minutes. Jonas Jerebko also had a solid debut, putting up 10 points and 3 assists in 15 minutes (5-6FG).

The Spurs got to the line 16 times and converted on all 16. This was the game's deciding factor.

San Antonio will enjoy a day off and then play in Phoenix on the 24th in their last game of a long 9 game road trip.

Pistons traded Monroe? Dumbest front office in the NBA.

R.C. Buford Press Conference Highlights:

Q: Why trade away so many players and risk this much when you've got a 40 win team halfway through the season?

A: Well first I'd like to say that bringing in Jerebko and Monroe isn't all that much of a risk in my eyes, otherwise the deal never would have gone through. I mean you're looking at an all-star in his third year and a guy whose shown great strides of improvement in his game despite reduced minutes this year. Then in regards to changing things up when we're a 40 win team already, yes I see that criticism and that's something I went back and forth with when this deal was on the table. However as an organization we need to look forward and recognize that this year maybe we became a conference finalist down from a finalist, but next year we're champions due to the deal. I don't see it exactly like that and I think we'll still be on top this year regardless of moving pieces.

Q: Most people thought that if Monroe was going anywhere it'd be Cleveland, based on the prevalent talk around the league. Obviously that didn't happen and rumors made it seem like Monroe chose San Antonio over the other teams personally. Why do you think that was?

A: I'd like to think that Greg chose San Antonio because we have been a consistently winning team for well over a decade and all the pieces, et cetera. However much that played in to it I also know that him and Tony Parker really hit it off well at the All-Star game and Tony was all about Greg as a person and as a player. So that relationship was key in this deal, for sure.

Q: Is this deal still worth it if in 2014 Monroe becomes a free agent and heads somewhere new?

A: That's not exactly how I see things playing out in my mind but if he gives us all-star caliber basketball for this year and next, not to mention helps us do serious damage in the playoffs, I'd still say it's worth it if he left in 2014.