Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bill Russell or Oscar Robertson career mix next?

Nearing completion on 2 projects right now

*Nate Thurmond highlights (one more revision)
    *A Connie Hawkins mix

So what next... Finish and upload my first attempt at Bill Russell highlights? Or a start a revised Oscar Robertson mix (I took down my original Oscar video because I'm no longer pleased with it - found too much more footage that reveals abilities and is more entertaining that his first mix didn't have)
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-22-2013 at 11:08 PM.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Bill Russell or Oscar Robertson career mix next?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Nearing completion on 2 projects right now

*Nate Thurmond highlights (one more revision)
    *A Connie Hawkins mix

So what next... Bill Russell highlights? Or a revised Oscar Robertson mix (I took down my original Oscar video because I'm no longer pleased with it - found a ton more footage)
    ditch the scoring videos. what about defensive schemes from ANY PLAYER. virtually the only D highlights you ever see are rodman or gary payton

I am your soldier!

I'd like both, but a Bill Russell one would be my first choice. Are you adjusting the video speed at all? I know some of the older footage is off, either slowed or sped up.

My personal preference would be for Russell. If you can, include some footage with leaping exploits.

Rudy Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    ditch the scoring videos. what about defensive schemes from ANY PLAYER. virtually the only D highlights you ever see are rodman or gary payton
    That's not a bad idea, I could do Gus Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Jerry West w/o much effort just by chopping down the videos/content I already have found of theirs seeing as how I've done mixes for them already. All 3 of those guys were incredibly elite defenders that probably deserve their own defensive highlights

I would make a Bill Russell and Wilt defense once their own highlights are done. I'd rather get a *complete* both-ends-of-the-floor mix of both of them out first though.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

That's not a bad idea, I could do Gus Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Jerry West w/o much effort just by chopping down the videos/content I already have found of theirs seeing as how I've done mixes for them already. All 3 of those guys were incredibly elite defenders that probably deserve their own defensive highlights

I would make a Bill Russell and Wilt defense once their own highlights are done. I'd rather get a *complete* both-ends-of-the-floor mix of both of them out first though.
    Well no question those are greats but there's others.

Havlicek and Cowens had some incredible defensive schemes. Bob Lanier especially early days did some amazing stuff. You could have the joke of all joke videos by comparing Kevin Durant and George Gervin defense - who is more pathetic? Although kd has gotten better lately they are both pretty much a running gag

Bill Walton defense would be great to see! And of course modern guys are ubiquitous but there's no D clips of anybody

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I'd like both, but a Bill Russell one would be my first choice. Are you adjusting the video speed at all? I know some of the older footage is off, either slowed or sped up.
    I do try to correct slow motion - I've gotten much much better at it now too - I've figured out all the "%'s" Winek Films used when they filmed in slow motion and it's becoming almost intuitive for me to see a clip and know exactly how fast it was filmed. I also try to enhance certain plays to appear as "bullet time" which is a technique used in modern highlights to enhance dramatic plays (clip starts at a normal speed, than very suddenly slows down to showcase only a specific move within a play). My latest Gus Johnson video showcases these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxh-Ljr5Sg

It's the best way I can come up with to present 60's and 70's players because the constant slow motion film like they liked back then is really out of trend, and by correcting and playing most of everything back in real-time speed you can fit more highlights into a mix and best see the natural athleticism of a player. It's especially important now since most people who will watch these highlights probably didn't know what those guys were capable of and if they don't see an ability or show of athleticism within the brief highlights they'll just assume the player wasn't capable of it.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Well no question those are greats but there's others.

Havlicek and Cowens had some incredible defensive schemes. Bob Lanier especially early days did some amazing stuff. You could have the joke of all joke videos by comparing Kevin Durant and George Gervin defense - who is more pathetic? Although kd has gotten better lately they are both pretty much a running gag

Bill Walton defense would be great to see! And of course modern guys are ubiquitous but there's no D clips of anybody
    Due to HDD storage reasons, my cutoff for storing and collecting stock footage is 1974. So if a player didn't have a significant portion of his/her career between 1960 and 1974 I probably won't have enough content of theirs to make anything - so no Gervin or Walton - I do have some of Cowens and Lanier though. I'm really trying to get the biggest names or most visually dynamic players of the 60's/early 70's out of the way first (save for Pete Maravich... who I think has adequate youtube exposure already). I like the idea of defensive highlights though - outside of the 3 I mentioned I will keep an open eye for players who stand out defensively that have an adequate amount of stock footage to create a mix

I vote Russ. Get it, dantheman.

I am your soldier!

I do try to correct slow motion - I've gotten much much better at it now too - I've figured out all the "%'s" Winek Films used when they filmed in slow motion and it's becoming almost intuitive for me to see a clip and know exactly how fast it was filmed. I also try to enhance certain plays to appear as "bullet time" which is a technique used in modern highlights to enhance dramatic plays (clip starts at a normal speed, than very suddenly slows down to showcase only a specific move within a play). My latest Gus Johnson video showcases these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxh-Ljr5Sg

It's the best way I can come up with to present 60's and 70's players because the constant slow motion film like they liked back then is really out of trend, and by correcting and playing most of everything back in real-time speed you can fit more highlights into a mix and best see the natural athleticism of a player. It's especially important now since most people who will watch these highlights probably didn't know what those guys were capable of and if they don't see an ability or show of athleticism within the brief highlights they'll just assume the player wasn't capable of it.
    Props for that man That must take a good amount of work. It still looks a little off to my eyes (it'll never look perfect), but it's way better than you see in any other video for the older guys.

I hate mixes with editing effects like flashing, added film grain, or other shitty Final Cut/After Effects filters. Not a big fan of bullet time, but I'll forgive it because that's at least kind of interesting and doesn't affect the picture...

Keep it up!

College superstar

Russell easily. Haven't you already done a Big O video?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Props for that man That must take a good amount of work. It still looks a little off to my eyes (it'll never look perfect), but it's way better than you see in any other video for the older guys.

I hate mixes with editing effects like flashing, added film grain, or other shitty Final Cut/After Effects filters. Not a big fan of bullet time, but I'll forgive it because that's at least kind of interesting and doesn't affect the picture...

Keep it up!
    Probably the reason it looks off and will "never look right" is because most of it was filmed and designed to be played back as ~24fps film, where as all the modern footage we are spoiled with (even as far back as the 1980's) was recorded and designed to be played back at television broadcast speeds (30fps) which captures subtle movements particularly sporting events much better and smoother. I can't make film look like a broadcast, but I can assure you most if not all of what you see is at the correct playback speed (shot/game clock seconds are ticking down at the correct rate, etc) - There's nothing I can do to duplicate the smooth character of modern sports footage unless I come across a game back than that is in the fps state it was when broadcasted - There are very few clips back then at that speed.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-23-2013 at 12:13 AM.

I am your soldier!

Probably the reason it looks off and will "never look right" is because most of it was filmed and designed to be played back as ~24fps film, where as all the modern footage we are spoiled with (even as far back as the 1980's) was recorded and designed to be played back at television broadcast speeds (30fps) which captures subtle movements particularly sporting events much better and smoother. I can't make film look like a broadcast, but I can assure you most if not all of what you see is at the correct playback speed (shot/game clock seconds are ticking down at the correct rate, etc) - There's nothing I can do to duplicate the smooth character of modern sports footage unless I come across a game back than that is in the fps state it was when broadcasted - There are very few clips back then at that speed.
    Preaching to the choir man, I was a media/film major in college.

It just sucks that we'll never be able to see the old stuff as it really existed.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Damn.

its one of those.

Bird or Big O

MJ said in his old interviews about real challenge facing a once in a lifetime talent like Big O, his strength & skills.