Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Peak Dwyane Wade vs Peak Tracy McGrady

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Did Dwyane Wade ever carry a weak squad past the 1st round by himself?
    Did T-Mac?

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Did T-Mac?
    No, which sort of puts them on equal footing.

I don't know what really gives Dwyane Wade the clear edge deserving of trust in the playoffs. He's had more shots in the postseason with a better team surrounding him.

McGrady was dynomite in 2005 when he finally joined a good team. He thoroughly outplayed Dirk on both ends of the floor, but Yao was fatigued and the roleplayers were nonexistent.

After that postseason, he was pretty much on a seesaw of bad health with Yao and never really got aligned to make a cohesive push.

Wade had the benefit of more appearances with solid help.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
    I'm baffled this was even asked. Wade is the clear answer. The guy had a greater will to win than McGrady ever had. If McGrady had a killer instinct, we'd be talking Hall of Fame here and a different answer to the question.
    T-Mac isn't a HOF?

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    T-Mac isn't a HOF?
    Not surefire.

He's borderline leaning more to "NO".

One poster on this board put it pretty well... "If you have to stop and really think about it, the answer should be no."

There's no question he was Hall of Fame caliber though when he was at his best.

I don't know what really gives Dwyane Wade the clear edge deserving of trust in the playoffs. He's had more shots in the postseason with a better team surrounding him.

McGrady was dynomite in 2005 when he finally joined a good team. He thoroughly outplayed Dirk on both ends of the floor, but Yao was fatigued and the roleplayers were nonexistent.

After that postseason, he was pretty much on a seesaw of bad health with Yao and never really got aligned to make a cohesive push.

Yeah, I think it's close as well, but I believe that Wade's defensive edge and closing/clutch ability gives him the advantage.

You can say that he's had more appearances due to solid help, but you can't take away what he's done with those opportunities. And that's lead a team to a championship as the main cog/alpha-dog.

We'll never know what T-Mac could've done at his peak w/ the same help...we know Wade DID it. It's intangible/hypothetical evidence vs tangible evidence...I'll take the tangible evidence.
    Last edited by LoneyROY7; 11-25-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    T-Mac isn't a HOF?
    I'm not saying he won't be. I'm saying if the man had a killer instinct we wouldn't be having this discussion and he would be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer with no question. He'd be top 30 (or even higher) all-time because he had the talent, however he isn't because I just don't think he worked as hard as he could have.

Banned

Wade puts up better numbers in the post-season and also Tmac was a player that struggled against the elite/better defenses in the league. Wade never had that problem as he always dominated every team regardless of how good they were defensively.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Who was the better player?
    Tmac and it's no competition.

Tmac was either significantly better or equal to Wade on every aspect

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Tmac and it's no competition.

Tmac was either significantly better or equal to Wade on every aspect…. and YES that includes defense.

Wade isn't as great on the ball as he is off the ball. Tmac was a more well rounded defender both on and off the ball. But offensively, it aint close really.
    Wade averaged 30.2 ppg with 7.5 apg on 49.1 percent shooting in 08-09. Let's compare this to T-Mac's peak of 32.1 ppg with 5.5 apg on 45.7 percent shooting.

Wade was a better distributor at 2 more spg clip and he scored 2 less ppg, BUT did it at 3.4 percent more efficient clip...but offensively, it isn't close?

SMFH. Some people.
    Last edited by LoneyROY7; 11-26-2012 at 01:37 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

This is close for sure. And I think yall are underrating T-mac's defense. It wasn't as good as Wade's but it wasn't miles behind either.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

It really is a shame T-Mac didn't realize his true potential. However, it wasn't his fault Grant Hill got hurt and ruined anything the Magic thought they had.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Wade averaged 30.2 ppg with 7.5 apg on 49.1 percent shooting in 08-09. Let's compare this to T-Mac's peak of 32.1 ppg with 5.5 apg on 45.7 percent shooting.

Wade was a better distributor at 2 more spg clip and he scored 2 less ppg, BUT did it at 3.4 percent more efficient clip...but offensively, it isn't close?

SMFH. Some people.
    Did you even watch Tmac play or are you just looking up stats?

Wade can't even come off curls, can't go left, post on either side of the block, can't hit you with the 1,2 dribble pull up, etc.etc. etc.

Tmac also shot more 3pointers than Wade, and not necessarily because he was Kobe dumb, but because the defense harassed him like no player since MJ. He'd get doubled and triple teamed more frequently, than any player today, and he didn't have help to take away the pressure.

Tmac's height also helped him as a passer, he gave teams mismatch problems that Wade doesn't. Reason why he didn't average more assists is because he actually din't run point forward like Bron. His system was different, he played differently, but in the moments he did run the offense, he was just as good as Bron, setting up teammates, finding open men, making pin point laser like passes and he was just as willing/unselfish as Bron as well.

Kinda easy to dismiss Tmac now, but I remember even Riley saying how he was the closest to MJ at one point (or something similar).

NBA rookie of the year

Dwyane Wade is better. Really no reason to go in depth about it either. Wade is simply better.

If I needed to win one game, I'd want Wade over McGrady on my team anyday of the week. Twice on Sundays.

Only suckers for aesthetics would chose T-Mac over Wade.
    Last edited by PJR; 11-26-2012 at 02:14 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Wade can't even come off curls, can't go left, post on either side of the block, can't hit you with the 1,2 dribble pull up, etc.etc. etc.
    My god. Just some straight up lies. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    My god. Just some straight up lies. All of them.
    Too bad they're true.