Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Pippen could shoot the ball, but not even close to being in the category of bird. As well, pip was more of a dribble the ball up the floor in transition and shoot the three. Very few of his threes were off the catch with triple threat, as a one on one game is. Bird didn't need to have the threat to pass the ball, he averaged over 24 a game for his career with all his passing numbers. If he decided to be a straight out scorer he would have been in the high 20's for his career. All I'm saying is Birds offensive skill and strength trumps pips quickness and defense.

Why is this even a question? Bird all the way. Bird used to tell players in games, "Hey I'm going to catch the ball here, shoot it in your face and make it." And he'd f*cking do it the next possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Why is this even a question? Bird all the way. Bird used to tell players in games, "Hey I'm going to catch the ball here, shoot it in your face and make it." And he'd f*cking do it the next possession.
    He didn't tell pippen that

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    And I've never seen a player good enough to consistently hit jumpers that are highly contested. It doesn't mean green is a better basketball player, jjust a far superior athlete as well as being a decent enough dribbler to get past the slow-a-foot bird.
    Are you kidding? You're talking like Larry Bird is a Kyle Korver spot-up shooter.

Larry Bird is one of the three best offensive players in the history of basketball. Great offense beats great defense in 1v1.

Go YouTube some Bird highlights. He gets a one inch step on his man and the shot is good...

And Pippen never told anyone that.

I usually hit open layups TheAdmiral3's Avatar

Pippen

he is more athletic.

Bird would get into pips head, hell even Xavier mcdaniel did and pippen tapped out with a migraine.

ACTUALLY HE DID...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGmMx8Ejrw

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    Pippen could shoot the ball, but not even close to being in the category of bird. As well, pip was more of a dribble the ball up the floor in transition and shoot the three. Very few of his threes were off the catch with triple threat, as a one on one game is. Bird didn't need to have the threat to pass the ball, he averaged over 24 a game for his career with all his passing numbers. If he decided to be a straight out scorer he would have been in the high 20's for his career. All I'm saying is Birds offensive skill and strength trumps pips quickness and defense.
    Again, your trying to take what bird did in a team setting and draw that as a conclusion to what he'd do 1 v 1. You can't do that bro.

I also don't see how you can say bird was stronger than pippen. Pippen was actuall a little bit bigger he was listed at 6'8 228lbs, bird was listed at 6'9 220. Pippen also had those insanely long arms too

Bird would get into pips head, hell even Xavier mcdaniel did and pippen tapped out with a migraine.
    Xavier Mcdaniel didn't get into pippens head, he hit pippen over the head consistently. Big difference. Bird wasn't that type of player

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    And Pippen never told anyone that.
    So

I know it is only 1 play and early on in pips career maybe, but there was a pretty big strength difference with bird vs pippen. Maybe not in weight, but in strength. Even the chicago comentator said it about Pippen, "if Bird gets it down there it's over buddy". Some people just have a freak strength, call it farmboy strength or whatever, bird had unbelievably strong hands and was impossible to move. Bird would go into the trenches with guys like laimbeer and give out as much as he took. He was one mean, strong SOB who had no fear of anyone. I'm not trying to bash Pippen, as he was a very good player, but you seem to be underating bird here. Bird was and is a player considered as a greatest of all time candidate. Pippen although very good, was not in that category.

Good High School Starter haji_d_robertas's Avatar

Bird. Sorry Scottie. On the court, nobody was more competitive than Larry Bird.

I know it is only 1 play and early on in pips career maybe, but there was a pretty big strength difference with bird vs pippen. Maybe not in weight, but in strength. Even the chicago comentator said it about Pippen, "if Bird gets it down there it's over buddy". Some people just have a freak strength, call it farmboy strength or whatever, bird had unbelievably strong hands and was impossible to move. Bird would go into the trenches with guys like laimbeer and give out as much as he took. He was one mean, strong SOB who had no fear of anyone. I'm not trying to bash Pippen, as he was a very good player, but you seem to be underating bird here. Bird was and is a player considered as a greatest of all time candidate. Pippen although very good, was not in that category.
    Scottie pippen was about 23 yrs old when bird hit that shot. Come on. I believe when he was drafted, he was 200lbs. By the time he hit his prime, he was a solid 230.

And you want to talk about farmboys, pippen was from a small town in arkansas.

Your arguing based on birds accomplishments and all-time rankings bro. The question was who would win in a 1 v 1 game, not whose ranked higher.