Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Immigrants moving to the U.S. and not assimilating

There's an old saying:

"Get with the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking program."

Sadly in 2019, we still need to explain basic concepts to individuals that can't understand how to assimilate. If you see a majority of people around you not doing something and you want to try and fit in, maybe don't do the thing that is causing you to be viewed as an outsider.

We hired someone in sales that wore a hijab. The position involved dealing with purchasing managers in TX and other states in the south and attending trade shows. Guess what, she no longer wears it. No one needed to tell her, she just learned that if you want to build trust with purchasing and get the sale, you can't do it without your face being covered. It's called assimilating. Meanwhile someone that wasn't willing to assimilate it is crying the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking blues because they couldn't get any sales in a similar position and lost their job. Go figure.

In TX you don't need to assimilate. This place is like mini Mexico. Call a Dr press 1 for Spanish 2 for English. Can get a translator just about everywhere, Spanish on store items. People come up to me and start speaking Spanish cuz I have dark skin it's like ehhh??

I like it though. I think it's bogus how contractors exploit them and such tho. There are many evils that immigration leads to but I don't believe they should have to assimilate. If they are in a place where they can't speak the language and nobody is there to translate, they're ****ed.

It's not too hard to basically express stuff to people tho. It's kinda wack to put people in school and not make them learn English tho. That's a damn travesty if they do that. That's not like cultural oppression that's common sense.

-Smak

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    yikes, explains a lot.

i agree about speaking english, but losing your accent on purpose? you bleach your skin too? afraid of anyone knowing you're not caucasian?

SAD.
    I and others have tried to change accents.

How come?

So we wouldn't get mocked or made to feel inferior. Many of us don't want to feel left out aka we want to assimilate.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    Some of that may be true but let's be honest, [COLOR="Red"]it's mostly laziness.[/COLOR] I speak Spanish well enough to get by. Yeah I get conjuration mixed up a little sometimes but idgaf if the person I'm talking to starts giggling at my broken Spanish, they know exactly what I'm saying and I understand them perfectly. If you're in the US get out of your comfort zone and speak the language.

BS

I'd say it's the complete opposite.

The vast majority want to learn as opposed to some that don't.

Even if they work and live in a predominantly Spanish speaking environment, most want to learn English out of necessity, simply to understand the world around them.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

BS

I'd say it's the complete opposite.

The vast majority want to learn as opposed to some that don't.

Even if they work and live in a predominantly Spanish speaking environment, most want to learn English out of necessity, simply to understand the world around them.
    Nah. It's laziness. Not just because of not wanting to learn but also refusing to get out of their comfort zone. I do translation all the time and I've noticed a lot of migrants actually understand English pretty well, they just feel uncomfortable speaking it because they feel shame in struggling with the language out loud so they refuse to verbalize with the other individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    Nah. It's laziness. Not just because of not wanting to learn but also refusing to get out of their comfort zone. I do translation all the time and I've noticed a lot of migrants actually understand English pretty well, they just feel uncomfortable speaking it because they feel shame in struggling with the language out loud so they refuse to verbalize with the other individual.
    This. They figure that since the hard part is done (actually getting on US soil) it's time to kick back and be lazy. What's sad is that it never used to be like that. Immigrants used to come here and work their ass off. So much so that their kids didn't have to work as hard because of their parents sacrifices. These days, the ones that come over are nothing like those before them and just want to leech off the land. Each new generation is more pussified than the one before it.
    Last edited by egokiller; 10-21-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Everyone speaks with an accent, a white dude from the North East sounds very different from a person from the South (thats called an accent) and that person sounds different from a person from the West Coast, and that person sounds completely different than someone from the upper Mid West...

I guarantee you that your folks speak with a Hispanic accent...its pretty much impossible coming to America as full grown adults who only previously spoke Spanish, then go ahead and talk like a native born white American accent, it just doesn't happen.

FYI, there is absolutely nothing wrong with talking with an accent as long as others can perfectly understand you...don't be so insecure.

Parents came over when they were kids. They literally have no accent, but I understand about the different parts of the country thing. I grew up in Miami. Miamians have an accent just as New Yorkers do. But I agree, that shouldn

[QUOTE=Patrick Chewing]Parents came over when they were kids. They literally have no accent, but I understand about the different parts of the country thing. I grew up in Miami. Miamians have an accent just as New Yorkers do. But I agree, that shouldn

We should filter them by language skills, any immigrants who can