Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Barkley got it from Dantley.

exactly

AD had a post-friendly body also

and for a guy with ZERO athleticism...no defender had a chance against him

Default Re: Why do they call the five second back-to-basket rule the "Charles Barkley Rule"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Mark Jackson was probably worse. He might post up for 15 seconds...starting at halfcourt. But he didnt even really have a reason. HE wasnt always even trying to score. Just protect the ball.
    Now that i think about it, didn't Jesus have his back? Why so worried?

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    He would get the ball on a side pretty far from the basket and the other four teammates would be on the other side of the court. Rules back then meant you couldn't leave your man or it was illegal defense, so he'd just pound the ball, backing the guy down slowly, for like 15-20 seconds, then make a close hook shot or whatever.

Really boring to watch.
    Yes they could. That's what's called a double team. Illegal defense was doubling a player without the ball. That arms length was as hard a rule to call as any rule in the book.

It's the most retarded rule ever created in the NBA to date. If you don't want a guy to post up for more than 5 seconds, then stop him from posting up. Why isn't there a rule for guys who stand at the top of they key dribbling for 15 seconds? How is that any more "exciting" than a player doing the same thing on the post? The fact that an arbitrary rule would even be created with the subjective argument of it's "boring" is ridiuclous.

The truth is, it's just another way for the NBA to emphasize perimeter play, in Stern's never ending attempt to create the next Michael Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    It's the most retarded rule ever created in the NBA to date. If you don't want a guy to post up for more than 5 seconds, then stop him from posting up. Why isn't there a rule for guys who stand at the top of they key dribbling for 15 seconds? How is that any more "exciting" than a player doing the same thing on the post? The fact that an arbitrary rule would even be created with the subjective argument of it's "boring" is ridiuclous.

The truth is, it's just another way for the NBA to emphasize perimeter play, in Stern's never ending attempt to create the next Michael Jordan.
    Preach!

And you could double the post with the old rules, it was just more difficult. The defender had to wait until the pass to the post was made before he could double, which made not only doubling harder, but recovering from the double insanely more difficult.

These days, you can double a player without the ball, which makes doubling the post easier, and more important, makes recovering from the double much easier. That's why teams like the Heat can play great half court defense without any good post defenders.

Love Live Life

I am your soldier!

Defensive 3 seconds and the restricted area are worse, but the Mark Jackson rule is #3 on my dumb rule list.

Defensive 3 just pisses me off beyond belief. You're objective is to keep the person on the other team from scoring, but you can't protect the basket for more than 3 seconds at a time without someone around you.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Defensive 3 seconds and the restricted area are worse, but the Mark Jackson rule is #3 on my dumb rule list.

Defensive 3 just pisses me off beyond belief. You're objective is to keep the person on the other team from scoring, but you can't protect the basket for more than 3 seconds at a time without someone around you.

Just another rule created to make the game more difficult for bigmen, and easier for perimeter players.

Adding all of these arbitrary rules has also had a negative effect on officiating. Refs now have to count every time on a post up, count every time someone enters the paint, and watch for handchecks when they should be watching these players feet and calling them for all the ridiculous traveling violations.

I wouldn't be shocked if the NBA just eventually made it legal to take 3 steps. Anything to create more exciting dunks, am i rite?

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

[B]Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I've been watching NBA basketball my entire life and I've never once heard the 5 sec back-to-the-basket rule be referred to as the "Charles Barkley rule." I have heard the "Mark Jackson rule," though.
    I've been watching since the mid-80s, and I've heard it referred to as both. Chuck and Jax were notorious for eating up chunks of the clock.

Still, it's a stupid-ass rule. Always has been. If a team wants to use up most of its possession on one player using up most of the shot clock, that's on them.

Back in the day, the Chuckster used to take 10-15s to back down his defender.