Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: "Kobe is more skilled than Jordan"

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    I think he said in documentary that he didn't work out in the gym a lot in the beginning of his career and during his 1st peat. He didn't watch what he ate either. He ate a bunch of junk food in the beginning of his career.

During his 2nd peat he condition himself better with his workouts and nutrition.

I don't know if young Kobe did the same thing or not.

Anyway, IMO Kobe didn't really do a lot of things better than Jordan in terms of skills from what I saw. Probably just ball handling and long range. The rest are probably just equal or Jordan is better, mostly due to his athleticism and better bball IQ.

One of the things Jordan is better at that doesn't rely on his athleticism is off the ball movement. Jordan was better. He was a better catch and shot player too, which contributed to his off the ball movement. Kobe wasn't that type of player. He liked to dribble more often to get in his rhythm breaking the offense sometimes while Jordan got in rhythm of the team better keeping the offense flowing. I think Kobe have the ability to do that, but he never was consistent enough. He does it in stretches. Jordan made that apart of his game. But Jordan did break the offense too, but he didn't often as Kobe did.

There are other small things. But as I said, from what I seen of them, they seem to be either equal or Jordan is better usually in terms of skills.
    I know for sure that MJ got heavily into weights when he still couldn't get past the pistons. He was looking to add on some muscle so he could better deal with their physicality. I believe that is when he began working with Tim Grover.
    So that would've been late 80's/turn of the decade.
    I don't like the idea that some posters are trying to push, which is the only difference between MJ and Kobe is that MJ was a more physically impressive specimen, who had it all handed to him. Also the notion that Kobe is a harder worker than MJ.
    Both are hard workers, but Kobe was a high school phenom, MJ didn't get picked for his team in high school. Whenever people compare their drive/will to win I can see a comparison to an extent, just Kobe's not to the same degree as MJ.
    Everytime I watched (and have rewatched) classic Jordan moments I can see that 'let me show you how good I am' attitude oozing out of him.

Decent playground baller razzredazzre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    Sorry but he wouldn't be had he not been lucky enough to be peak Shaq's second banana. He's more skilled than Shaq because he's a guard, but he's not more skilled than Lebron, he has nothing on him aside from FT shooting.
    ****, another post nitpicking shit about LeBron.

Kobe vs. LeBron

Footwork >
    Perimeter Shooting >
    Breaking Down the Defense >
    Handles >
    Post Moves >

I mean many LeBron fans admit this is true and if those are not called "individual basketball skills", I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, LeBron can score as much as Kobe with a more efficient rate b/c he bullies his way to the basket with above avg. offense skill but not at Kobe's level.

But he does have better vision and passing ability so he tends to not force whereas Kobe does too much sometimes. And while LeBron becomes too passive sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    MJ was a better athlete and had a higher bball IQ. I think their basic footwork, dribbling and shooting skills are very comparable though.
    Pretty much. In essence Kobe is a carbon copy of Jordan's skill set. He has more willingness to launch the long ball.

Anyone claiming Kobe is more skilled has no clue what they're talking about. Even footwork, Kobe's entire footwork / post game is predicated on Jordan's originality.

Jordan definitely had superior off the ball, as well as catch and shoot skills. MJ had the superior IQ, athletic ability, and even more homicidal level of competitiveness.

Kobelicious

its because jordan didnt need much skill to get pass his opponent,
    he wass too quick, too strong + better decision maker

Quote Originally Posted by razzredazzre
    But he does have better vision and passing ability so he tends to not force whereas Kobe does too much sometimes. And while LeBron becomes too passive sometimes.
    That's why MJ's the perfect player. Kobe is prone to self indulgent, hero ball, selfish stretches. MJ honestly wasn't like that, he made three right play ... Including passing.

LeBron because he doesn't have the elite alpha, skillful scoring package like MJ and Kobe or even the confidence so he can shy away from the moment of taking over by becoming too passive.

LeBron has the physical tools to get to the rack and finish like Jordan. They were blessed with the god given gifts.

MJ is the best of both worlds between Kobe and LeBron. Both in terms of mentality, and skills / physical abilities.
    Last edited by SamuraiSWISH; 01-07-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Banned

Kobe is a better shooter post player better footwork etc. Not neqrly as effective because he q fraction of the athlete. Look at how defenses play kobes jumpshot and Jordans qnd youll quickly see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Kobe is a better post player better footwork etc.

Defenses put smaller guys on Jordan to negate his superior quickness, ability to get to the rim and do more efficient destruction destroying a defense from the inside out. I wouldn't say Kobe is a better mid range shooter. It would be factually inaccurate. To be honest they're even comparable long ball shooters. Kobe just shoots it more regularly. And stupidly sometimes further out.

Kobe is on Jordan's level skill wise, but the mentality, intelligence, heart, will power, and athletic ability is what puts Jordan on another level than Kobe.

Banned

Kobe is a better post player...
    On what f*cking planet?

Even Bean's like "Da Fuq is dis dude talking about?"

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Also....Kobe Looks Better at Ballhandling Because of the "No Handchecking Rules" and Has Smaller Hands So His Ballhandling Looks More Appealing But Not Even Close to as Efective Especially 1 on 1 Off The Dribble or Driving to the Basket. Outside or Long Range Pure Shooting Is The Only Thing I Give Kobe Over > Jordan.

Kobe is a better post player

Jordan was excellent at catching and going right up with the shot, not allowing the double team to arrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz0zi0upJg&t=3m29s

Or fake the defender out of position and finish over 7'7 Manute Bol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjUpA3UVlA&t=14m7s

He was particularly excellent at quickly flashing to the post and playing out of the pivot. If the defense denied him the ball, they would swing it around and he would pop out off a screen and get the ball at the top of the key often attacking the vulnerable defense at this point, not allowing his man to catch up.

In this example below, Miami fails to keep the ball out of his hands in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVO-yxZNqg&t=3m46s

Another quick flash into the post against New York, but this ends up with Jordan coming off the screen and into a quick isolation at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqJZ96hOBU&t=2m7s

Kobe is a better shooter post player better footwork etc. Not neqrly as effective because he q fraction of the athlete. Look at how defenses play kobes jumpshot and Jordans qnd youll quickly see the difference.
    This

Part of what makes Kobe so exciting is that he is in fact only around 6'5 with shoes, and as others have mentioned he doesn't have quite the athleticism of Jordan - he makes up for it with outstanding resourcefulness, footwork & skill which is very eye-pleasing and exciting to watch.

a 6'5 guy scoring 81 points in NBA game is just mind-blowing to me. The implication here is that very few of those points were ''gimmies''.

Probably more skilled than Jordan. Not necessarily as reliable though

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

I see the Long range shooting but I honestly don't get the footwork and ball handling advantage some people think kobe has. At best I see it as a push.

Am I crazy?!?!?!

Quickness. Kobe can do what Jordan did, just not as lightening quick.

That comment about Jordan's "motor" is right on too. Jordan usually played long minutes and was crushing it on both ends of the floor.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razzredazzre
    ****, another post nitpicking shit about LeBron.

Kobe vs. LeBron

Footwork >
    Perimeter Shooting >
    Breaking Down the Defense >
    Handles >
    Post Moves >

I mean many LeBron fans admit this is true and if those are not called "individual basketball skills", I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, LeBron can score as much as Kobe with a more efficient rate b/c he bullies his way to the basket with above avg. offense skill but not at Kobe's level.

As always, Kobe stans pulling stuff out of their azz. These are blatantly false

How does Kobe has better handle than Lebron?? Who's basically a pg skill wise.

And how does shooting fadeaway 3's break down defense?

etc.etc.