Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 LastLast

Default Re: Mike D'Antoni signs a four-year deal with the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    Can't wait to see bunch of 30 year old guys running up and down the floor and the best center in the league shooting threes.

What were the Lakers thinking
    No need to wait, look up 88 Lakers

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Mike D'Antoni hired as new Lakers head coach!

the real questions are wtf would you sign a PG like Nash for the next 3 years @ 9 mill per year if all you wanted was for him to give it to the post and hang out on the perimeter off the ball? why would u sign him for 3 years if you're going to treat him like a senior citizen because of his age?

why would you get rid of a dominating half court presence like Bynum for a much more mobile big man and not push the tempo more with 2 of the best height to mobility bigs in the league?

why would you sign Phil only to run the same post-centric offense that didn't use the talents of your whole team? where half the games are determined from Pau's shooting and passing. where most of the TO's are from so much post and big man and wing passes? how long do you think it will take them to learn the triangle when they weren't anywhere near getting the Princeton?

maybe you haven't seen a Lakers game of late where the whole paint is clogged and everyones taking short to long jumpers because every post pass amounts to hacking/picking Dwight, or Pau's short J's being on/off, and the open man is always Artest getting the looks :

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Is there any point to having this guy around this board?

His responses are so automated at this point that he seems like a bot.
    he's like 35 too.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

This hiring MAKES sense.
    The only reason people are pissed off is because Lakers had a chance to acquire Phil but got Mike instead for whatever reason.

Orlando NEVER had strong defensive personnel around Dwight yet consistently were one of the better defensive teams in the league because simply of Dwight. Kobe & MWP might not be as good as they once were but they are easily better then anything Orlando had. Our defense will be fine, and has looked fine the last two games. As Dwight progress and gets his feet under him, he will start making a significant impact defensively for us. Plus don't overlook Jordan Hill, I think he is an exception defensive player as well. Pau's length alters shots just because of his height and he is one of the better shot blockers and rebounders in this league.

Offensively? D'Antoni might be a blessing for this team. He is a pick and roll genius and will allow Nash to strive in this offense. Howard is very similar to Amare offensively as well. Both were/are great pick and roll bigs who love to dunk, I expect a lot of excitement this season from LA now. Kobe has history with Mike dating back to Italy, he respects the guy. Not only are we going to see an improve offense from the Lakers now, but the progress won't take nearly as long as it would have with the Princeton offense and truthfully with the triangle as well.

I know Phil would have adjusted his schemes to suit Nash a little more, but I don't know if it would have been enough to fully utilize his skill set. Look at how poorly Payton looked in the triangle? The guy was a 20/8 point guard the year before he joined LA I believe and became mostly a jump shooter or low-post threat. In both the triangle and Princeton, there needs to be a lot of ball movement and now you're essentially taking the ball away from Nash (by far our best facilitator and play-maker) and given the other four players a similar role in terms of ball movement.

With MD, Nash will be used similar to how LeBron was used under Mike Brown. He will have the freedom to make decisions with the ball and set up teammates for easy buckets. With Pau's finesse game, Kobe's exceptional all-around scoring prowess and Dwight's power; Nash will have more weapons then he's ever had. Also, since our bench is pretty weak it will help them as well by allowing Nash to find the open man. Jamison and Meeks have struggled so far but both are above-average shooters and will eventually find their shot again. Morris has been knocking down the open three, MWP although inconsistent can hit the three and Blake is a career 40% three point shooter. So it's not like we don't have the personnel on this team. Yeah the shooters in Phoenix were overall better but we are way more well rounded as an offensive unit. We actually have an inside presence and a terrific trio to grab them offensive rebounds (Hill, Howard & Gasol).

In hindsight, this signing might be a blessing in disguise.
    I wanted Phil to be our coach, simply because I trust him more then any other coach in history. But Mike is a logical hiring for this team. Defensively, even if Nate doesn't become our defensive coach; we still have the best damn defensive player in the league and he plays the center position. Which means our defense will be anchored, but it's not like Kobe & MWP are slouches defensively.

Nice hiring, I (although one of the few) am please with the signing but not with the decision. I would have taken Phil personally, but I am an optimistic fan and hopeful that Mike does an excellent job as our head coach. Sure improvement over Brown, either way you look at it.

Welcome to the Lakers, Mr. D'Antoni.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    the real questions are wtf would you sign a PG like Nash for the next 3 years @ 9 mill per year if all you wanted was for him to give it to the post and hang out on the perimeter off the ball? why would u sign him for 3 years if you're going to treat him like a senior citizen because of his age?

why would you get rid of a dominating half court presence like Bynum for a much more mobile big man and not push the tempo more with 2 of the best height to mobility bigs in the league?

why would you sign Phil only to run the same post-centric offense that didn't use the talents of your whole team? where half the games are determined from Pau's shooting and passing. where most of the TO's are from so much post and big man and wing passes? how long do you think it will take them to learn the triangle when they weren't anywhere near getting the Princeton?

maybe you haven't seen a Lakers game of late where the whole paint is clogged and everyones taking short to long jumpers because every post pass amounts to hacking/picking Dwight, or Pau's short J's being on/off, and the open man is always Artest getting the looks :

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I'm almost positive that LAL's goal is not to win 60 games and get to the WCF. After not being able to get past the Spurs (what?) 3 times, they took a chance on getting Shaq to guard Duncan. Before they were always having to double team him or let him get off.

As a Spurs fan, I'm happy (so is Pop) that they'll go against a D'Antoni coached Lakers instead of a Phil Jackson coached team.

Here's Jalen Rose's opinion of D'Antoni's (NO-DEFENSE) coaching style:

I played for the Phoenix Suns. 2007. My last season. As were playing against the San Antonio Spurs. And I remember us coming to our first practice before Game 1. And we brought it in. And we were excited about our playoffs getting started. And Coach D'Antoni put in some film. It was Steve behind the back. Amare slam dunk. Shawn Marion with the block. Raja Bell with the charge. It was a highlight film of our team. They have showed me making a shot on there, and I was barely even playing.

So after that he as like all right, we're going to run and down, go through our set plays and whatnot, and we're going to get out of here.

And I looked at Kurt Thomas. I hit him with an elbow. I'm like hold on. I gotta say something.

So I did my Arnold Horshack from "Welcome Back, Kotter."

I'm like "ooh, ooh, ooh, hey coach. I gotta ask a question. Are we going to talk about how we're going to defend Tim Duncan on the post? Are we going to talk about Manu Ginobili in pick and roll? Keeping Tony Parker out of the paint?"

He looked at me in front of the entire team and coaching staff and said: "We're not worried about what they do. If we play to the best of our abilities, and do what we're supposed to do, there is no way they can beat us. We don't mind if Tim goes off. If Tim goes off, that means everybody else is quiet."

So, people gave us a pass. And we were a great team. And Robert Horry did knock my guy Steve Nash into the scoreboard. And Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw got up off the bench and I should have been paying attention and being a vet, and grabbed Amare -- maybe I'd have a ring to this day.

They walked out on the floor, they get suspended late in the series, and we did lose that game.

But we really lost the series in Game 1. When the guy that couldn't beat us by himself -- Tim Duncan -- he only had 40 and 20 in Game 1.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...d-mbah-a-moute

I like that you don't even know what happened with your very own team.

You guys beat Phoenix, in their first year as those Suns, back in 2005. In 2006, Dallas beat you and then they beat the AmareLess Suns. In 2007, the NBA got involved and that was it.

The next year Kerr screwed up everything. The team got together one year and had a huge star go down before the 2nd (and they lost Joe Johnson). So be a little less stupid when you talk.

I for one love the hire...for lots of reasons

Quote Originally Posted by KeyNote
    I for one love the hire...for lots of reasons
    you just wanted to show off your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    you just wanted to show off your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I like that you don't even know what happened with your very own team.

You guys beat Phoenix, in their first year as those Suns, back in 2005. In 2006, Dallas beat you and then they beat the AmareLess Suns. In 2007, the NBA got involved and that was it.

The next year Kerr screwed up everything. The team got together one year and had a huge star go down before the 2nd (and they lost Joe Johnson). So be a little less stupid when you talk.
    Maybe you missed the "what?" in my post. Some people have 3 kids running around and dinner cooking on the stove (yes, I know I shouldn't be posting while getting dinner ready). They beat D'Antoni's Suns 3 times - including 2008 with Shaq.

cwebb blasted dantoni on nbatv

Banned

With all the talk of Dantoni....does anyone know when he's going to coach?

Nobody really said when he will start?

I think it's important.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

I think it's important.
    i think he needs 6 weeks of rest after his surgery

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

I think it's important.
    all writers are hearing press conference thursday, coaching friday

Quote Originally Posted by KeyNote
    all writers are hearing press conference thursday, coaching friday
    3 days of fun left.....then the fukkhead takes over.......