Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe's deepest team myth 2008/09 & 2009/10

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Gasol was a beast but inconsistent. Odom wasn't nearly as good as people make him out to be. Bynum...
    Which year are you talking about for Bynum? He made a solid impact in 10 and was honestly only marginally worse than a guy like Tyson Chandler in the 11 playoffs.

So if you laugh at Chandler's impact...I totally agree. But if you are trying to claim that Bynum was worthless or something in 10...I don't see the evidence for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Only 09 Howard was even remotely close.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

This is the problem. You get owned in one post...and start attacking me and brining up every other year. 06 has no impact on what happened in 09 or 10.

For example. The competition overall in 13 was incredibly weak. I've been saying it a lot. Worse than 09 for sure with Parker getting hurt in the finals.

Am I now anti Lebron for saying that?

Talk about the years you mention...It's not belittling Kobe. It's stating facts. The other true stars didn't have great teams or Kobe avoided playing them.

This stuff is only brought up when people use titles too much when talking about players....or Kobe's coaching and supporting cast is under-rated.
    I think from 2008-2010, Kobe beat more 50+ win teams then any player in playoff history. Yet because those teams didn't have a superstar, they weren't contenders according to you.

When did I get owned jackass? I've completely owned you in this thread.
    Did you not say just yesterday Kobe has the deepest team in the league?

Now you're backtracking? LOL

You shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
    I think from 2008-2010, Kobe beat more 50+ win teams then any player in playoff history. Yet because those teams didn't have a superstar, they weren't contenders according to you.

When did I get owned jackass? I've completely owned you in this post.
    Did you not say just yesterday Kobe has the deepest team in the league?

You shit for brains.
    Lets pause for a second and stop making shit up.

08 was never part of the conversation. So you can throw all of that out. The Lakers did not win in 08...and I hardly doubt you want to bring up the 08 collapse in the finals as the favorite.

So it's 09 and 10.

Sorry...I don't find the competition to be stiff. I think the Lakers had a very large margin of error. And the reasons are as follows;

- The greatness of Kobe
    - Phil Jackson
    - Pau Gasol
    - Solid supporting cast with a proclivity to making huge shots
    - Lack of playing other teams with true superstars like Wade, Lebron, Dirk, and KG (09)

One thing though...While Dmavs and KG215 would take any opportunity to knock or discredit Kobe, they atleast do it not in a dumbass trolling way. I don't see those 2 saying dumb shit like "Stacked frontline" or "Frontline carried Kobe" or "Gasol real 2010 finals MVP" like others do...Do I expect them to give Kobe credit for stuff? No, just like I wouldn't go out of my way to credit LeBron...

It is wat it is though, If Kobe plays for the Nuggets, threads would be : "Is Kenyon Martin most underrated super star ever", "Marcus Camby carried Kobe" .."JR Smith true Finals MVP".....And Gasol wouldn't even be getting discussed.

You know how many times I've see "stacked FRONTLINE" posted? Yet facts show that 3 out of 4 of the frontline players Kobe played with has horrible to ok role player numbers? It's just trolling....

This is a haters world ppl, we have to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by branslowski
    One thing though...While Dmavs and KG215 would take any opportunity to knock or discredit Kobe, they atleast do it not in a dumbass trolling way. I don't see those 2 saying dumb shit like "Stacked frontline" or "Frontline carried Kobe" or "Gasol real 2010 finals MVP" like others do...Do I expect them to give Kobe credit for stuff? No, just like I wouldn't go out of my way to credit LeBron...

It is wat it is though, If Kobe plays for the Nuggets, threads would be : "Is Kenyon Martin most underrated super star ever", "Marcus Camby carried Kobe" .."JR Smith true Finals MVP".....And Gasol wouldn't even be getting discussed.

You know how many times I've see "stacked FRONTLINE" posted? Yet facts show that 3 out of 4 of the frontline players Kobe played with has horrible to ok role player numbers? It's just trolling....

This is a haters world ppl, we have to accept it.
    I would depend on the circumstances, but I do agree that Kobe on the Nuggets definitely win the Western Conference. I'd be a little more nervous about the finals though. That series against the Magic could have gone a number of different ways...and I really think Gasol was very important against Howard in that series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

DMAVs agreed on your overall premise..

But.. I want you to apply that same logic to Michael Jordan.

Did Michael have a better supporting cast than his adversaries?

Who was ewing's second option in the early 90s? John Starks? Ewing had the equivalent of what 2011 Derrick Rose had.. a bunch of defensive role players and one offensive talent except Patrick was the one who made their defense and rebounding elite, on TOP of being the guy they leaned on offensively.

Ewings second option was basically JR Smith.

Charles Barkley? He had the pieces for 1 or 2 years and gave jordan one of his most competitive Finals series. Still never had a second option on Scotties level, nor the coaching, nor the overall teams over a signifigant time span

Hakeem? Not much even has to be said..

Shaq? Had some good talent, but again didnt have near the depth, as good a number two, or coaching to glue it all together.

David Robinson? Again nothing has to be said.

If you switch MJ out to the knicks and make him have to work with John Starks while Ewing gets pippen.. I dont see how the bulls with ewing lose there. Ewing had much less to work with but still led his team to wins and competitive series. You swap pieces and the odds are greatly in his favor.

And overall MJ had the best teams, second option, and coach of ANY other superstar in the 90s... yet no one seems to ever bring it up.
    Last edited by tpols; 08-20-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    DMAVs agreed on your overall premise..

But.. I want you to apply that same logic to Michael Jordan.

Did Michael have a better supporting cast than his adversaries?

Who was ewing's second option in the early 90s? John Starks? Ewing had the equivalent of what 2011 Derrick Rose had.. a bunch of defensive role players and one offensive talent except Patrick was the one who made their defense and rebounding elite, on TOP of being the guy they leaned on offensively.

Ewings second option was basically JR Smith.

Charles Barkley? He had the pieces for 1 or 2 years and gave jordan one of his most competitive Finals series. Still never had a second option on Scotties level, nor the coaching, nor the overall teams over a signifigant time span

Hakeem? Not much even has to be said..

Shaq? Had some good talent, but again didnt have near the depth, as good a number two, or coaching to glue it all together.

David Robinson? Again nothing has to be said.

If you switch MJ out to the knicks and make him have to work with John Starks while Ewing gets pippen.. I dont see how the knicks lose there. Ewing had much less to work with but still led his team to wins and competitive series. You swap pieces and the odds are greatly in his favor.

These are literally the points I've been trying to make since joining this site. Totally agree that in a lot of cases it's the team/coaching that is the most important.

But we have to distinguish between a guy like Kobe and Melo for example. That wouldn't work if you switched them...the Kobe led team would just almost always win unless the gap was just huge. But switch Kobe and Wade or Lebron...I think the guy with the better supporting cast and coaching wins most of the time.

Which is why I always defended Dirk for not winning. I never thought he had a team on par with the 10 Lakers or 11 Heat or 08 Celtics...etc. I still don't think he's ever had that.

So we agree. Glad it only took 4 years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

These are literally the points I've been trying to make since joining this site. Totally agree that in a lot of cases it's the team/coaching that is the most important.

But we have to distinguish between a guy like Kobe and Melo for example. That wouldn't work if you switched them...the Kobe led team would just almost always win unless the gap was just huge. But switch Kobe and Wade or Lebron...I think the guy with the better supporting cast and coaching wins most of the time.

Which is why I always defended Dirk for not winning. I never thought he had a team on par with the 10 Lakers or 11 Heat or 08 Celtics...etc. I still don't think he's ever had that.

Kind of goes back to Kblazes thread about how players really arent that much better than each other when it comes to the greats.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

I guess it's a case of better late than never.

I would depend on the circumstances, but I do agree that Kobe on the Nuggets definitely win the Western Conference. I'd be a little more nervous about the finals though. That series against the Magic could have gone a number of different ways...and I really think Gasol was very important against Howard in that series.
    Meh, it was more of the fact that Dwight wasn't a offensive powerhouse, and Bynum helped Also....Martin and Camby would of been even better defensively vs Dwight...Gasol was never known as a great defender...And Kobe took the Magics will away.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I thought "deep" means the whole team, not just the starting five. To say a team is deep, means their bench are also of quality.
    Sasha, Ariza, Farmar, Powell, Walton, Radmanovic, Mbenga, A.Morrison were the remaining players on the roster.

Do I really need to list their numbers in comparison to other teams?
    Those players were marginal impact players for LA besides Ariza, and most of those contenders I listed had a 6th man at the very least as good as Ariza.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Kind of goes back to Kblazes thread about how players really arent that much better than each other when it comes to the greats.
    I agree to some extent. But if you start talking about Kobe and Melo on the same tier...you lose me.

Same with Barkley and MJ. Bird and Nique...etc.

I agree, but not to the extent Kblaze does.