Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Knicks trying to acquire OJ Mayo to send to Denver in Melo Trade..

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    doesn't sound like Karl... as much as I like him, he has no offensive playbook... all of the scoring depends on isos and fastbreaks...

but OJ would probably strive in iso plays and alongside Lawson and Afflalo...
    How did Karl use Gary Payton in the Sonic Days ? Mayo is similar in size and built. Maybe he could try that.

Mayo is at his best in pick and roll situations and running the fast break, he has some speed in the open court.

He isn't as good of an iso player as fans seem to think. His first step has improved a lot ( still not elite or close to elite ) , so has his ball handling, but his inability to blow past his guy is the reason he takes a lot of jumpers off an isolation. He is slashing a lot better though

He is at his best when he is in the pick and roll and the defense has to make a decision because he can drive it, shoot it, or pass it. triple threat.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Here we go again.....

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    Any report on this statement. Maybe they see what I see and all the great OJ Mayo fans out there see. Maybe they will run plays for him? use him as a combo guard ? allow him to run an offense from time to time? run him in a pick and roll situation? Make him the feature, if not " the main guy" in their offense?

call me crazy, but if they like him better than those two, maybe just maybe that's what they are planning to do.

With that being said, I am not getting any hopes up. I got my hopes up with that last big trade rumor and nothing happened, so i'll just wait and see how this progresses in the next few days.
    Pretty sure the ball would work better in Lawson's hands. But running with the rest of the Nuggets would be nice. He'd flourish.

Here's a trade idea:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4zwqprs
    include the Knicks 2014 pick and another pick from Randolph to go to Denver.

I see the major problem being that it leaves Denver with A LOT of guards/wings that deserve minutes with Billups, Lawson, JR, Afflalo, Mayo, Gallo and arguably Forbes. I guess Karl would play a lot of small ball with JR and Arron playing a lot of SF with Gallo playing some PF.

This trade actually works IMO, it saves Denver $3 mil this year and a lot of long term money by dumping Al Harrington, they also get a good pair of young guys in OJ and Gallo and 2 firsts. Probably the best package they can get involving NY.

NY obviously likes it cuz they get Melo, but they also get to keep Fields and Turiaf to put next to him (with Amare and Felton of course). They might not like getting Al back, but it's a price to pay and he'd be a great sixth man for them.

Memphis gets a pretty good deal because I think Chandler would be a great fit considering his defensive skill and versatility, and they'd be able to play a lot of tall ball with Wilson at SG and he can give Rudy and Zach breathers. Walker and Douglas would help fortify their bench too.

Another trade I thought of is kind of big (but still not as big as some of the rumors) involves Memphis, Denver, NY and Dallas.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4bkqztk
    Pretty much the same as above except it adds JR Smith and Roger Mason going to Dallas, Turiaf to Denver and Haywood headed to NY.

While this a lot of $ for NY to commit to, it gives them the perfect big next to Melo and Amar'e.

Denver clears the wing jam, gets a decent back up big in Ronny and saves a lil more money.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Here we go again.....
    Seriously. This isn't even serious. I honestly have a feeling Denver doesn't really want to deal with NY for some reason. Clearly Melo's favorite. Look at how close things have came with NJ. All you hear about NY is how it's Melo's favorite choice, Amare wants him etc. Never really hear anything about them and Denver getting close on anything.

Whatever. It's got to the point where Melo just flat out isn't good enough for this hype. It's reached it's limit for me. I thank Melo for 7 post seasons, witch he choked in about 90% of them. Hopefully a deal get's struck up soon cause really starting to dislike watching him with the Nuggets. Still believe he's a top 10 guy but with the youth movement looking like it is doubt he maintains that spot for much longer. Besides his rebounding he's been pretty awful this year.

Still not as good as NJ's offer(s).

And niko I agree with you, I got all caught up in the BS that these writers spew out that I didn't even realize that personally I think Melo wouldn't sign with NJ.
    BS that these writers spew?

Denver and NJ had a 4 team deal ready to go before the season started(right before media day) that Denver pulled out of. Than sources were talking about how Den\NJ\Det had a deal lined up. Wasn't it reported that a GM was upset that the players played that day? Cause they assumed it was going through?.

NJ isn't "BS" .. Ya maybe Melo don't want to sign off. Maybe he want's the extension more than anything just not with Denver, who really knows?. One thing's for sure. The stuff with NJ has been pretty legit.

The New York Knicks have reached out to Memphis about participating in a three-team deal that would send Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo to Denver and Carmelo Anthony to New York, according to league sources.

Talks are in the infant stages and nothing is imminent, but the discussions are a sign of the Knicks' increased aggressiveness in trying to trade for Anthony.

Emboldened by their belief that Anthony will refuse to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the New Jersey Nets, the Knicks have stepped up their efforts to bring the Nuggets star to New York.

The Knicks have tried to engage Denver in trade talks all season, but the Nuggets, unmoved by the players New York has to offer, have been unwilling to partake in significant discussions. Sources, however, say that is changing as the Nuggets themselves wonder whether Anthony is willing to go to New Jersey.

The Knicks understand they need to recruit another trade partner or two in order to put together a package Denver would be interested in, and that's their motivation for inquiring about Mayo. It is not clear at this point whether Denver is actively involved in the talks with Memphis.

Mayo, who has had a disappointing and controversial season in Memphis, is on the trading block, and the Knicks' hope is that he would satisfy Denver's desire for a promising young prospect. Though the third-year guard is coming off the bench and scoring less than 13 points a game this season, Mayo averaged 18 points over his first two years.

Rumors surfaced last month about Mayo possibly being traded to the Knicks, but the Knicks' only interest in him is to aid them in acquiring Anthony.

The Knicks will also need at least one first-round draft pick to grab Denver's attention, and New York is confident it can get such a pick for Anthony Randolph from one of several clubs. Sources say Indiana was willing to trade a first-round pick to New York for Randolph last summer.

Any Knicks package for Anthony would also likely include some combination of Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari or Landry Fields.

While the Nuggets weren't impressed with those names early in the season, their strong play during the Knicks' resurgence has upped their value, according to sources.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets continue to discuss a possible three-team deal with the Nets and Pistons. In a deal that could include more than 13 players, the Nets would receive Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Detroit's Richard Hamilton while Denver would get Nets rookie Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and several other minor players.

But even if the clubs agree to a deal, Anthony could kill it by refusing to sign an extension to play long-term in New Jersey. Several sources say Anthony does not want to play in New Jersey and has thus far given no indication that he would sign such an extension.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, has been pushing for a deal with New Jersey and, in an effort to get the star to sign off on the trade, several people have been telling Anthony that New York doesn't want to break up its current team to get him, according to sources.

Sources say that's why Anthony made the curious comment on Monday in which he wondered whether the Knicks even wanted him.

"New York is playing well right now. I don't think they're looking at me," Anthony said. "They wouldn't want me to come in there and mess what they have up. That's what I've read."

But the Knicks are very interested in Anthony. The club's preference would be to sign him as a free agent next summer and thereby keep their current roster intact.

But in that scenario, Anthony would not receive the $65 million extension and with a new collective bargaining agreement on the horizon, he would risk losing millions of dollars by entering free agency.

If Anthony eventually nixes a move to New Jersey and tells Denver he will only sign an extension with New York, the Nuggets would likely either trade him to the Knicks or a club like Houston that would be willing to trade for him without his signing an extension.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.
    Looks like the gun was jumped again, this says in the infant stages.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6019859

Quote Originally Posted by dwightderon
    Still not as good as NJ's offer(s).
    Obviously, but Nj's offers don't mean anything if Melo doesn't want re-sign there, which he won't...

Here's a trade idea:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4zwqprs
    include the Knicks 2014 pick and another pick from Randolph to go to Denver.

I see the major problem being that it leaves Denver with A LOT of guards/wings that deserve minutes with Billups, Lawson, JR, Afflalo, Mayo, Gallo and arguably Forbes. I guess Karl would play a lot of small ball with JR and Arron playing a lot of SF with Gallo playing some PF.

This trade actually works IMO, it saves Denver $3 mil this year and a lot of long term money by dumping Al Harrington, they also get a good pair of young guys in OJ and Gallo and 2 firsts. Probably the best package they can get involving NY.

NY obviously likes it cuz they get Melo, but they also get to keep Fields and Turiaf to put next to him (with Amare and Felton of course). They might not like getting Al back, but it's a price to pay and he'd be a great sixth man for them.

Memphis gets a pretty good deal because I think Chandler would be a great fit considering his defensive skill and versatility, and they'd be able to play a lot of tall ball with Wilson at SG and he can give Rudy and Zach breathers. Walker and Douglas would help fortify their bench too.

Another trade I thought of is kind of big (but still not as big as some of the rumors) involves Memphis, Denver, NY and Dallas.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4bkqztk
    Pretty much the same as above except it adds JR Smith and Roger Mason going to Dallas, Turiaf to Denver and Haywood headed to NY.

While this a lot of $ for NY to commit to, it gives them the perfect big next to Melo and Amar'e.

Denver clears the wing jam, gets a decent back up big in Ronny and saves a lil more money.
    For some reason i feel like if Al came back he'd play 27,000 times harder just because everyone else does this year. He seems like that kind of guy that's not self motivating but feeds off others. It had to be unmotivating for him to be playing for a team that couldn't wait to let him go.

Obviously, but Nj's offers don't mean anything if Melo doesn't want re-sign there, which he won't...
    Location seems to be Melo's big interest. NY area. He wants the extension. He's came out HIMSELF and said he's signing that extension. It's obvious with the risk of the CBA changing etc. If Denver says I'd rather you walk than trade with NY than Melo might cave.

Pretty sure his agent is pushing for NJ too now, no?. NJ is still a very strong option, stronger than ever IMO.

Tough luck. Should have rode the coatails of a player more interested in winning

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    For some reason i feel like if Al came back he'd play 27,000 times harder just because everyone else does this year. He seems like that kind of guy that's not self motivating but feeds off others. It had to be unmotivating for him to be playing for a team that couldn't wait to let him go.
    Well I didn't watch him much for NY for the last 2 years, but in Denver he tries like crazy. He actually competes for rebounds and has some good defensive game (and one monster defensive game against Dallas). He stills jacks up a lot of shots and has a bad handle, but I'd def say his goods outweigh the bads.

LilBTheBasedGod
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by HB40TheNextStar
    Chicago-style pizza
    Thats bogus. The Bulls aren't willing to negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Location seems to be Melo's big interest. NY area. He wants the extension. He's came out HIMSELF and said he's signing that extension. It's obvious with the risk of the CBA changing etc. If Denver says I'd rather you walk than trade with NY than Melo might cave.

Pretty sure his agent is pushing for NJ too now, no?. NJ is still a very strong option, stronger than ever IMO.

Tough luck. Should have rode the coatails of a player more interested in winning
    I'm just saying, personally, I can't see Melo agreeing to NJ. the only reason his agent is pushing for NJ is cuz he told Melo he'd get him NY and he'd get the commission rate of Melo's extension (i.e. the more Melo gets, the more Rose gets).

Also you can't say NJ is like NY, that's like saying a player would go to the Clippers b/c they're in LA like the Lakers.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Infant stages.....

I won't believe til I hear it out of Melo's mouth.