View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Talking Re: 2009 NBA Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
Jesus......DOB 1990...damn im gettin old :

We also have a 14 yrs.old Fil-American who will be making waves in the USA in the near future. His Name is Bobby Parks Jr.

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/medi...local.aspx#top

Quote:
Parks’ son dreams of playing for RP 5
By Joaquin Henson

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ Fil-Am son Ray is growing up to be just like his celebrated father and dreams of someday playing for the Philippine national team.

Ray, 14, stands 6-3, weighs 178 pounds and averages 25 points, seven rebounds and five assists for the Ridgeway Middle School varsity in Memphis. He was the youngest player invited to play in the recent three-day, 17-and-under Las Vegas Easter Classic and stood out in the tournament.

Ray is one of Parks’ four children. The eldest is Quincy, 25, and lives in Bolivar, Tennessee. Parks, 45, had a brief relationship with a black American woman when he played at Memphis State and sired Quincy. Then, Parks had two children, Ray and 11-year-old Celine Ira, with Marifer Celine (Shane) Barbosa, a Filipina now living in Los Angeles.

Today, Parks lives in Memphis with Filipina wife, Jasmine, and Ray. Jasmine’s daughter from a previous relationship stays with them. Parks’ son with Jasmine, Montell, 6, lives in Manila. Jasmine is an activity therapist while Parks owns a transportation business and conducts basketball camps in Memphis.

Ray, whose godfathers are PBA Hall of Famer Norman Black and former Ateneo cager Bobby Rius, said he learned to play when he was five in his father’s hoop school in Manila. Ray lived in Parañaque and studied at the International Christian Academy up to Grade 7 then moved to Memphis last year. He is advancing to Grade 9 at Ridgeway next schoolyear.

After playing in the Amateur Athletic Union this summer, Ray plans to visit Manila with his father. He is being invited to try out for the Ateneo varsity team by Black, the Blue Eagles coach.

“It would be nice to play in the Philippines,” said Ray. “I definitely want to go to college either in the US or the Philippines. I don’t know what to do yet. It would be an honor to someday play for the Philippine team. My dad would love to see me play for the national team.”

Black said he has seen Ray play on tape. “He shoots better than Bobby,” said Black. “I think he’ll be a great player. Of course, I’d like him to play for Ateneo but I leave it up to Ray and Bobby. The level of competition is certainly higher in the US and if Ray is invited to play for a big school, I’ll encourage him to go for it.”

Ray’s hero is his father. He wears No. 22 – like his father did – and said he hopes to win a lot of championships – like his father did – and gain the respect his father did as a winner.

“The two things I learned most from my dad are dribbling and shooting,” said Ray. “My dad’s more athletic and jumps higher than me but I’ve got a better jump shot and handles. Plus, I can play one, two and three. I’m like a mixture of LeBron (James) and Carmelo (Anthony).”

Ray said playing for Memphis State, where his 45-year-old father starred, would be a challenge because the players are bigger in NCAA Division I than even in the PBA.

“My dad thinks I have a very bright future because most of the guys my size and age in the US can’t handle the basketball and shoot as well as I can,” he said. “He was happy with my trip to Vegas where I was the only 14-year-old invited to play with 17-year-olds and I held my own.”

Ray said he watches the NBA hometown team Memphis Grizzlies play as often as he can. “They mostly need a good center and one leader,” said Ray. “By the way, I play for Mike Miller’s traveling team. In the NBA, my idols are Carmelo and Michael Jordan. And in the PBA, my idols are my dad and Jimmy Alapag.”

Ray speaks Tagalog fluently and said he misses his Filipino relatives in Parañaque and Makati. “I would like to give a shout-out to my family in the Philippines and my close friends,” he said. “Ingat kayo, mga kababayan ko!”

Quote:

Shout-out from Parks’ son
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
The Philippine Star 05/10/2007

Seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks’ son Ray sent an email from Memphis the other day to say he’s doing fine playing basketball and missing his Filipino relatives.

Ray seems on the way to becoming a Fil-Am superstar. He turned only 14 last Feb. 19 and now stands 6-4, give or take an inch. From the way he’s growing, Ray could shoot up to 6-8 – way taller than his dad who was listed a generous 6-5 in US college basketball record books.

Bobby, 45, was a star at Memphis State and played for the Tigers varsity that went to the NCAA Sweet 16 thrice. He was picked on the third round by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1984 NBA draft where the top five picks, in order, were Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Charles Barkley.

Bobby was the 58th player of 228 chosen in the draft. Among the players who were selected after him were Rick Carlisle, Bob Thornton, Eddie Wilkins, Butch Hays and Ken Bannister. Wearing his trademark No. 22, Bobby played for the Hawks in the NBA preseason but was cut before the regular campaign started.

Bobby made his PBA debut for San Miguel Beer in 1987 then saw action for Shell up to 1998, finishing his 12-year career with nearly 9,000 points, over 3,000 rebounds and more than 1,000 assists in 220 games. In 1989, he averaged a whopping 52.6 points in 23 games with a high of 72.

Ray’s email was written in both English and Filipino, like a true Fil-Am. Here’s what he said:

"My name is Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. but my close friends call me Ray. I am originally from the Philippines.

"Ako ay tumira sa Pilipinas ng eight to nine years. I speak Tagalog fluently. I am about 6-3 or 6-4 and I play all positions but I prefer to play the shooting guard or small forward (positions).

"Ako ngayon ay tumitira sa Memphis, Tennessee. I’ve been staying here for a year. I average about 25 points a game and around seven rebounds and five assists. I just turned 14 last Feb. 19 and I weigh about 178 pounds.

"There is a lot more competition here in Memphis. I’m a lefty and I can handle, shoot, post up and dunk. Also, I wear a size 14 shoe. I attend Ridgeway Middle School and I’m in the eighth grade going to ninth. I hope to play in the NBA or PBA someday. That’s after I finish college.

"I would want to give a shout-out to my family in the Philippines and my close friends. Ingat kayo, mga kababayan ko, mga taga-Parañaque at Makati."

Ray’s Filipina mother Shane was Bobby’s first wife. Bobby is remarried to another Filipina, Jasmine.

He might be the first ever Filipino to make it in the NBA in a few years from now.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote