Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups CodeBreaker's Avatar

Default Who was better at his peak: Curry or Kobe?

Who was better at his peak?

Default Re: Who was better at his peak: Curry or Kobe?

2015-16 Curry was one of the best offensive players I've ever seen. The fact that he averaged 30 ppg while sitting out 20 4th quarters is insane itself. Add in his insane efficiency where he shot 50/45/91 and it makes his 2016 season even more unbelievably amazing. He could've easily averaged 35-40 ppg that season if he played in all 4th quarters. That being said, I think Curry was better at his peak.

Kobe, as we all know, is one of the best offensive players of all time. Obviously he's got the skill over Curry, and you can argue that he's the most skilled offensive player ever next to Jordan, but that's another topic. Peak vs peak I'm giving Steph Curry the slight edge mainly because of how efficient he was and the impact he had on the 73-9 Warriors that season.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    2015-16 Curry was one of the best offensive players I've ever seen. The fact that he averaged 30 ppg while sitting out 20 4th quarters is insane itself. Add in his insane efficiency where he shot 50/45/91 and it makes his 2016 season even more unbelievably amazing. He could've easily averaged 35-40 ppg that season if he played in all 4th quarters. That being said, I think Curry was better at his peak.

Kobe, as we all know, is one of the best offensive players of all time. Obviously he's got the skill over Curry, and you can argue that he's the most skilled offensive player ever next to Jordan, but that's another topic. Peak vs peak I'm giving Steph Curry the slight edge mainly because of how efficient he was and the impact he had on the 73-9 Warriors that season.
    @ giving the edge to a guy who is a defensive liability.

The gap between Kobe and Curry defensively is MUCH wider than the non-existent gap between Curry and Kobe offensively.

What impact exactly did he have on the 73-9 Warriors. Falling down 1-3 vs the Thunder and needing Klay to bail him out? And then blowing a 3-1 lead to LeBron while playing putridly in the Finals?

Dude's only championship as "the man" came with an injured Kyrie/Love and with Iggy stealing the Finals MVP for him. Funny how that vaunted efficiency who displays in the regular season fails to materialize in the Finals and during crunch time of the playoffs...

Chef Curry w/ da shot FromDowntown's Avatar

Stephen Curry lead a team of guys that cannot dribble to 73 wins, while capturing the only unanimous MVP, made 5 finals in a row and won 3 rings while setting every 3-point record known to basketball

Kobe, and this shit isn

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by FromDowntown
    Stephen Curry lead a team of guys that cannot dribble to 73 wins, while capturing the only unanimous MVP, made 5 finals in a row and won 3 rings while setting every 3-point record known to basketball

- @ citing a media-decided regular season award

- good job completely ignoring the fact that he had Durant for 3 of those 5 finals and 2 of those 3 rings...

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FromDowntown
    Easy

Overall I think Kobe but peak wise it's Curry.

[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Kobe, and this shit isn

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Overall I think Kobe but peak wise it's Curry.
    Peak only

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.

Also the fact that he made 402 threes in a single season, breaking the old record by 116 which was set by none other than Steph himself. Oh and let's not forget most of these shots were from 30+ feet away and contested and he STILL made 45% of them.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Kobe

Interesting comparison because both these guys are at their best in the regular season, or against undermanned/underpowered teams in the early rounds of the playoffs.

In terms of who is more valuable? It’s Curry and it isnt particularly close. Plenty of guys like Curry, Dirk, Barkley etc are more valuable in terms of actual winning than Kobe.

There are different kinds of fans tho, obviously. There are fans who would rather watch their team shoot 50% and win 96-94 with no stand out player, and there are fans who would rather watch Kobe score 92 points on 40% in a 94-92 loss.

It’s just like in politics. You can beat people over the head with logic, but for some weird reason you have people who refuse to abandon ideas that to others seem preposterous.

A lot of people think individual point totals, and “degree of difficulty” etc means something. They think it’s valuable because it looks cool on highlights. You can try to argue with them about it but it’s useless. Theyre motivated by something more innate than logic. They want to believe Kobe is some kind of mythical figure. And the “simple” measurements that include no context, hold the most sway with these folks.

Weird shit yo.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Definitely Kobe. Curry's inbetween game is what holds him back, especially in the Finals and why his shooting percentages take a nosedive sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob
    Definitely Kobe. Curry's inbetween game is what holds him back, especially in the Finals and why his shooting percentages take a nosedive sometimes.
    How about Kobe's shooting percentages?