Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Jordan Says Only 4 Current Player Could Play in His Era

Quote Originally Posted by LakersForlife
    rofl maybe not. and in the nba today got better midrange shooters its almost automatic.not in the 80 - mid 90s where defenders will sag off their man

Over the last 7 years Kobe hasn't shot better than 42% from 16-23 feet. Is that what you call automatic?

The best midrange shooters now may shoot roughly 50% on their jumpers, hardly automatic.

Dirk makes his living on midrange shots and he shoots 49% from 10-15 feet, 44% from 16-23 feet.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?...irk%20Nowitzki

MJ is high. Durant would be a superstar in the 90s. lol at people stopping his jumpshot. The overrating of the past is going crazy now lmao

College superstar

This thread and others on MJ's comments of late and the level of attention those comments are getting remind me of something I said some time ago. In this information age, (instant media, Facebook, twitter, YouTube, blogs, and message boards) anything a person says or does can quickly be blown up, (mis)interpreted, overly analyzed, and commented on by millions of people in a matter of minutes. In some way this is an advantage that those who played before the internet became so popular and mainstream had. Every single thing they said or did was not microscopically dissected by the "average joe" on a message board. So players in the past were slightly more shielded from and less "exposed" to the public than the players today.

Today if Lebron, Kobe, or Wade sneezes while a little baby is being pushed in a stroller, a blog about is written. If either of them makes an offhanded comment about a teammate or coach, an opportunistic reporter with a cell phone can capture it and instantly send it to the world where every one can give their opinion. Then we turn around and say, "Could you imagine Magic, Bird, or MJ ever saying or doing that?", when in reality they probably did, but the media technology of their day was not sufficient to capture it.

Let's be real. A lot of things that are easily exposed on a daily basis about players today such as locker room conversations, team meetings, stupid comments, fights in practice, etc. were only revealed in "tell all" books or special reports in regards to players of previous decades.
    Last edited by jlip; 02-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    You have got to be kidding with this comparison. Miller was a runner. Durant isn't.

When asked about Bruce Bowen's defense and how he handled it Miller said, "he can't hold what he can't catch".

Durant is so tall that he can receive the ball any time even when guarded. He is not running around all the time to get open like Miller or more recently Rip Hamilton.

Straight from the ESPN scouting report on Durant:

Scouting report
    + Tall, long-armed scoring prodigy with unblockable release. Deadly in transition.
    + Great foul shooter. Lacks strength. Struggles to get open against physical D.
    + Good handle and improved passer. Length an asset on defense and boards.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...2/kevin-durant

If he struggles to get open now what would happen when more contact is allowed.
    I showed you a video, actually you posted the video yourself I see, and Mullin one of the best shooters in the game rarely had anybody near him in a 38 point game win against a hungry Bulls striving for their first championship team. The best perimeter defending team and the top 2 perimeter defenders in the 90's in a very close game. Mullin is not pressured once and only is guarded somewhat close twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHg736-JiWQ

No way possible Durant only gets 50 points on the Bulls in that game. And you posted this video. Even the announcer even says, at 6:30 that Chris Mullin is "deceptively slow!"

Durant is deceptively fast. You overplay him he's going backdoor. He can catch and shoot as good as Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. And he can dribble and shoot as good as anybody who ever played the sport.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I showed you a video, actually you posted the video yourself I see, and Mullin one of the best shooters in the game rarely had anybody near him in a 38 point game win against a hungry Bulls striving for their first championship team. The best perimeter defending team and the top 2 perimeter defenders in the 90's in a very close game. Mullin is not pressured once and only is guarded somewhat close twice.

No way possible Durant only gets 50 points on the Bulls in that game. And you posted this video. Even the announcer even says, at 6:30 that Chris Mullin is "deceptively slow!"

Durant is deceptively fast. You overplay him he's going backdoor. He can catch and shoot as good as Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. And he can dribble and shoot as good as anybody who ever played the sport.
    He is truly elite, no doubt about it. On offense. His defense needs a lot of work.

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy

Typical "back in our day...." garbage that all old people are prone to do. Nothing to be taken seriously here.

Anybody today would be able to to play in ANY era, and be just as successful in it period
    Kevin Durant would average about 15 points per game in the 90's. He's incredibly soft and bailed out by the refs more often then not, and not to mention the more physical defenses he would be up against. Durant would struggle bad.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by The Choken One
    Kevin Durant would average about 15 points per game in the 90's.
    With all due respect,

Shut the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck up.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Is Durant all of sudden get shorter in the 90s? He would still be a near 7 footer with unlimited range.

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]They asked him which players would be AS successful in his era and he listed four of the six or seven best players of the last 15 years. It really is a totally uncomplicated and simple statement. It

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Melo would be top 5 in scoring in any Era, CP3 would be be top 5 in Assists in any Era ..A healthy D12 Would be a Force in any era with Blocked Shots and Rebounds .. Didnt see any of those guys listed and that is just scratching the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

That video didn't show the whole game. It did show Mullin driving and scoring in traffic several times.

You ignore the fact that Durant can't run around screens to get open like Allen or Miller. "Deceptively fast" is like saying a girl has a nice personality. Relative to the average 3 he is definitely slow. His combine athletic testing was laughably bad. He excels because of his height and his skills.
    Last edited by tontoz; 02-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Evidently you confuse me with one of these young fans who just started watching in the Kobe era. I'm actually older than Kobe himself and started watching the game right before MJ entered his prime. I never once made made any declarations about either era being "tough." I spoke of the ability of players (great players especially) to transcend eras by adapting to the rules and styles of whatever era they are in. If flopping is what is "en vogue" during an era, guess what, the players will do that. If it is restricted via rule and referee enforcement then players will limit it just as they are doing this season. In addition to that, flopping became popular during MJ's era. Did you ever see Rodman and Reggie Miller play?
    I'm talking about flopping primarily on offense. That kind of crap was never en vogue in the 80's or 90's. Reggie Miller used to do his little kick the leg out BS when shooting a three pointer and he was vilified for it. It became more common place in this era which is why they had to make a rule to stop it. You didn't see Jordan or any other swingman of the 80's and 90's flailing their arms like they got shot out of a cannon and screaming "HEY" ala Kobe to trick officials into calling a foul. You didn't see swingmen dribbling into a defender and snapping their necks back ala Paul Pierce or doing that lame rip-through move and throwing the ball up to get cheap whistles. You know it's gotten out of hand when the league has to make rules to control flopping.

Also, I love how history is being rewritten. I remember the Bad Boy Pistons complaining about MJ crying to the refs. I remember during their championship runs opposing teams and players speaking of how the Bulls were the recipients of favorable treatment from refs benefiting from ticky tack, touch fouls. I remember this Dream Team photo with Magic, Bird, and MJ , with Magic jokingly saying to Bird like, "Don't get too close to Michael, you might get called for a foul."
    Are you kidding me with this shit? If you think Magic was kidding around like that that back then what the hell do you think he would say now? Jordan didn't get anywhere near the free throw treatment these stars got in this era. NOWHERE near. I've made this clear before.

During the 1st 3-peat in his Prime Jordan averaged 7-8 free throws at best (which is pretty much less than most star swingmen today especially with the amount of ball dominance and shots he was taking) and factor in that he barely took any threes as well...

'91 - Jordan averaged 8 free throws on 22 shots a game.
    '92 - averaged 7 free throws on 23 shots a game
    '93 - averaged a whopping 26 shots a game and his free throw average stayed at roughly 7 a game.

Compare Jordan to someone like Wade (who was basically Jordan-lite) -
    2005 - Wade on 17 shots a game averaged 10 free throws
    2006 - on 19 shots a game averaged 11 free throws (increased tenfold in the Finals)
    2007 - on 19 shots a game averaged 11 free throws
    2008+ on 19-20 shots a game his free throw averages have been between 9-10

Guys like Kevin Durant who are primarily jumpshooters and take 5+ threes a game STILL averaged more free throw attempts than Prime Jordan. Is James Harden still gonna get his bullshit calls and average 10 free throws a game on only 17 shots in the 90's? Even overrated bums like Corey Maggette were getting to the line 9-10 times a game in this crap era.

So put it in perspective. You have guys that averaged 2-3 more free throws than Prime Jordan on anywhere from 4-10 less shots a game and Jordan was the one who got star treatment? Obviously Jordan played in an era where the refs didn't blow the whistle as much while this league is in an era that's more than willing to parade their stars to the foul line. This era also have no legit big men/enforcers/shotblockers, and that ridiculous 3 second defensive rule. Yeah, I can see why Jordan would troll the league today.

I'm not here to determine which era was tougher. I really don't care, but as I said in another post I'm a little tired of my generation turning into our parents embracing this "Back in the day, everything was so tough we had to walk 10 miles up a hill, barefoot, in the snow just to go to the bathroom" mentality. The Wilt generation said the same thing about the Magic, Bird, and MJ era, claiming that Wilt would average 70 points in the 80's and 90's. The truth is ultimately we can't definitively conclude which era was tougher. At the end of the day, people are emotionally attached to whatever era they played in or grew up watching. In 2040, 15 year olds today who are watching Lebron, will be telling their children that whoever the superstar is at that time would not be able to play in the "tough Lebron era."
    Let's hope not because I can't imagine the league getting any softer than it is right now.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

Yea cuz Jordan totally had trouble putting points up.

KG should be on that list. Dirk?

I don't know wtf MJ is talking about. There's plenty of dudes who started in the 90's who couldn't make the league at all today.