Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    2 completely different thing - leaving for hip replacement surgery is finite. It has corners. "Surgery is this weekend, Riles hould be walking again, with therapy, by the end of the month and able to travel with the team by Feb" - or whatever"

Indefinite leave of absence is "I'm not going to coach until I feel better"

I would be less likely to think that riley is weasling his way out of coaching a bad team if he didn;t do it before.
    or steal a team that has a shot from a coach like last year. Low life is better than no life at all I guess.

haha right, so all of a sudden his hip's killing right in the middle of his defending champs being embarassed most nights by other teams. Frankly even if he isn't running away I hope they keep spinning it like that. Guy pulled a ***** move on van gundy, he deserves some crap for that, or so says karma.

The thing about the surgery excuse is, once its done, and if the team does start to win again, he can come back in anytime and say he's feeling good again.

Serious playground baller

It's a shame too, because they have a lot of young players who they should be developing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    haha right, so all of a sudden his hip's killing right in the middle of his defending champs being embarassed most nights by other teams. Frankly even if he isn't running away I hope they keep spinning it like that. Guy pulled a ***** move on van gundy, he deserves some crap for that, or so says karma.

The thing about the surgery excuse is, once its done, and if the team does start to win again, he can come back in anytime and say he's feeling good again.
    agreed 100%

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Ya'll dudes don't know anything about the Van Gundy/Riley swap (aside from what you hear/see on ESPN) so you can't present the "he snaked him" scernario as a fact.

I know people within the organization (family members to one of the active assistants) and from what I know/was told (pretty much 1000% credible) Van Gundy completly stepped down on his own.

The "I need time to spend with my family" was infact BS though. He simply didn't want to deal with the pressure of the failing with the team again and all the high expectations.

His picture perfect coaching situation was running with the the Lamar Odoms, Caron Butlers, Eddie Jones, D-Wades, core...No expectations, just going with the flow.

He felt he couldn't get the veterans to respond to him, so he stepped down.

Riley made the trades, but he did not throw Stan under the bus....

If anything it was the players(Shaq, Zo, GP, and Antoine most notably).
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-03-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    agreed 100%
    great minds think alike

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    Ya'll dudes don't know anything about the Van Gundy/Riley swap (aside from what you hear/see on ESPN) so you can't present the "he snaked him" scernario as a fact.

I know people within the organization (family members to one of the active assistants) and from what I know/was told (pretty much 1000% credible) Van Gundy completly stepped down on his own.

The "I need time to spend with my family" was infact BS though. He simply didn't want to deal with the pressure of the failing with the team again and all the high expectations.

His picture perfect coaching situation was running with the the Lamar Odoms, Caron Butlers, Eddie Jones, D-Wades, core...No expectations, just going with the flow.

He felt he couldn't get the veterans to respond to him, so he stepped down.

Riley made the trades, but he did not throw Stan under the bus....

If anything it was the players(Shaq, Zo, GP, and Antoine most notably).
    ummmm sure

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Yeah, "sure".

Like I said, all ya'll dudes can do is speculate but with no grounds for facts.

Your automatic assumption is that Riley threw him under the bus because that's the obvious route to go.

Stan Van Gundy is not going to serve as no damn puppet. Man is not the type to keep quiet. He would've been called out Riley or infact Jeff Van Gundy would've too...

Stan also hasn't fielded any other coaching offers...

Think about it.
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-03-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Banned

Pat Riley is an overrated disgrace.

as soon as his job gets hard he ducks out.

I wouldn't even consider trusting my team to this guy. him and Larry Brown both. at the very least I can give Eddie Jordan credit for being stable and having perseverance. I don't care how good a coach's reputation is, if he's quitting on the team whenever things get tough, what are the players supposed to do?

honeslty, I ask you guys who consider Riley a greater coach than Jerry Sloan because of Riley's "versatility," I ask you, what versatility? the guy can win with teams that are supposed to win. real versatile. he can win with Magic Johnson, Shaq, and a 12 man roster full of defensive stoppers. WOW. I swear people who think Riley is the best coach in the league must think Clinton's the best president ever. "but look at what the economy did while he was there! he's gotta be!"
    Last edited by geeWiz15; 01-03-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Riley sheds his skin once again. If you go to Wilkipedia and type in snake you'll find Riley's picture.

Local High School Star

I really wish we didn't have to play Suns tommorow. Ice cube : " tommorow will be a bad day".

Yup

He [Van Gundy] simply didn't want to deal with the pressure of the failing with the team again and all the high expectations.
    Little bit later...

and what kinda fricking lame justification is that vangundy didnt want to deal with all the high expectations? then why would he ok shaq coming to town in the first place? bigger question...why would he be a coach if he was not ready to accept the pressures of high expectations?

Banned

i'm siding with the people skeptical on Riley's hip being the reason. It makes no sense and how gullible can you people be? like a hip surgery has to be done at this moment in the season? like he cant still coach in a wheelchair after surgery? or with a cane?

i mean if he had cancer thats one thing. but hip surgery? wtf?

Yeah, "sure".

Your automatic assumption is that Riley threw him under the bus because that's the obvious route to go.

Stan Van Gundy is not going to serve as no damn puppet. Man is not the type to keep quiet. He would've been called out Riley or infact Jeff Van Gundy would've too...

Stan also hasn't fielded any other coaching offers...

Think about it.
    So van gundy willingly walked away from perhaps his sole opportunity to win an NBA title as head coach?
    Unless you know the details of his contract situation, or any handshake deals that might have gone down you really can't do anymore than speculate like the rest of us.

Yup

BFresh = B-Gone