Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pre-3pt era players great at making the long 2? Who had 3pt range?

Rick Barry (never quite adjusted to the line in the ABA though)
    Seems like he took it seriously only during his last ABA season, and he shot it better than in his previous seasons - I also think the ABA line was a bit longer than the future NBA line. In 1980, he shot a lot of 3's for the standards of the era and shot better than in any ABA season, despite staying away from 3-pt shooting for multiple years.

Some of the set shot artists I've seen footage of were in deep 'modern 3 point range' we should look into them. Elgin consistently was hitting long 2's

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Some of the set shot artists I've seen footage of were in deep 'modern 3 point range' we should look into them. Elgin consistently was hitting long 2's
    Hence my Schayes reference. I was being conservative, because in some of his few shooting clips when the footage is shown almost from ground level, it seems a bit hard to estimate the distance.

CavsFTW and Psileas -

1) Should Sharman be in long 2, or 3pt range?

2) I put Nate in long 2, should I leave him there?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    CavsFTW and Psileas -

1) Should Sharman be in long 2, or 3pt range?

2) I put Nate in long 2, should I leave him there?
    Nate Archibald? Long 2, imo. Not so sure about Sharman.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Nate Archibald? Long 2, imo. Not so sure about Sharman.
    Thurmond, already have Tiny in the first group.

Thurmond as a 3-point shooter is too much.
    I'm not even that sure he was that good a mid-range shooter, either. Was he really shooting his mid range shots at a better clip than, say, a young Wilt was shooting his long 2 bank shots from the corners?

Thurmond as a 3-point shooter is too much.
    I'm not even that sure he was that good a mid-range shooter, either. Was he really shooting his mid range shots at a better clip than, say, a young Wilt was shooting his long 2 bank shots from the corners?
    Good point. Should we put young Wilt in as well, or remove both?

Another big long range 2-pt shooter may be Dave Cowens - offensively he was giving trouble to centers who didn't want to leave the paint much.

Good point. Should we put young Wilt in as well, or remove both?
    I'd add him with a question mark.

Another big long range 2-pt shooter may be Dave Cowens - offensively he was giving trouble to centers who didn't want to leave the paint much.
    Same thing I've heard about Reed.

College superstar

What about Chet Walker and Bob Love? I know they were both scoring forwards, and looking solely at their 2p and FT percentages, I'm drawing the conclusion that they could shoot. Anyone have any actual input on them?

Same thing I've heard about Reed.
    Agreed - for some reason, most left handers with similar ranges seem to also shoot in similar ways (probably in illusion), and Reed would punish you from mid-range.

Pistol Pete is the GOAT deep 2 shooter

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    McAdoo for the long 2.