Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Backcourt

Good college starter

Default The Backcourt

Whittling the backcourt to four contributors – Rookie Peyton Siva was always a long shot to crack the rotation, given the three veteran point guards ahead of him in the pecking order. But lottery pick Kentavious Caldwell-Pope – because of his ideal size and defensive and 3-point-shooting potential – was at least a candidate to unseat one of the four veteran guards available to Cheeks.

It’s now likely that Caldwell-Pope will be in the guard rotation when Washington comes to town next Wednesday to start the regular season, along with Will Bynum and Chauncey Billups and, perhaps, Siva for stopgap minutes.

Stuckey is due to have his broken thumb X-rayed and re-examined on Friday, two weeks since surgery to repair the broken tip suffered when he slammed it in his car door while carrying his infant son. Cheeks said that if he’s cleared to play, he’ll go back on the court and be evaluated for readiness. So it’s still conceivable Stuckey could be ready for the season opener.

-- NBA.com/pistons

Last edited by insidehoops; 10-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: The Backcourt

After watching todays game against washington - KCP passed up on a lot of open looks where he just pump faked instead of shooting it up. Maybe this was in response to the above article but he needs to take those shots in my opinion. An open look is an open look... Every other aspect to his game is very promising though, his hustle, defense, rebounding and even his ball handling and passing is very encouraging..

Also, it is CLEAR as day to me that Siva does not belong in this league. He looked terrible out there, all of his passes look like turnovers, he provides nothing on offense or defense. When he is on the court we look terrible...

Bynum on the other hand looks incredible, his chemistry with both the big guys as well as guys like Billups is amazing. His play is making me believe we don't need Stuckey...

On a totally seperate note, Seraphin is reminding me of a young Jermaine Oneal on offense. He has some serious potential...

NBA lottery pick

KCP is doing everything well except for shooting the ball. He's not going to be a regular rotation guy until he starts knocking down shots. Siva will only be on the roster just because he'll be an extremely affordable player that will be cap friendly. He won't see any real time. Bynum has been decent. I like the way he runs the pick and roll. It's clear that we'll need a healthy Stuckey this season. If not I expect Singler to get some minutes at SG, which is something I wouldn't have guessed going into the season.

Singlers shot yesterday from deep looked both confident and smooth - obviously he has focused on this aspect in the off-season.

Good college starter

The Celtics are not extending Jordan Crawford and Marshon Brooks. One of them would be a nice pickup at the 2.

I really want the Pistons to get Marcus Smart for some reason in the draft next season.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    The Celtics are not extending Jordan Crawford and Marshon Brooks. One of them would be a nice pickup at the 2.

I really want the Pistons to get Marcus Smart for some reason in the draft next season.
    Marshon Brooks is more of a 6th man. We'll need a top 5 pick to land Marcus Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Marshon Brooks is more of a 6th man. We'll need a top 5 pick to land Marcus Smart.
    Well that aint happening -

Not sure how I like the backcourt

But the frontcourt is the real focus this season

Good college starter

Chauncey and Will are the starters.

NBA lottery pick

Stuckey is back in the rotation today. He's going to come off the bench. It sounds like they want to see him play and make sure he feels comfortable. If he does he might end up starting. I think Jennings is supposed to be back on Sunday. The backcourt is about to change pretty soon.

great news!

One thing is CLEAR as day watching this game, Stuckey and Bynum do not gel at all when they are both on the court... It is a bad combo together... They both struggle with ball security and shooting - it is way too predictable...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    One thing is CLEAR as day watching this game, Stuckey and Bynum do not gel at all when they are both on the court... It is a bad combo together... They both struggle with ball security and shooting - it is way too predictable...
    They struggled together in previous seasons too. I'd personally like to see Stuckey run the point and KCP next to him. I'm not sure if it would work, but I'd like to see the experiment. It's at least a lot of size.

This current game in which we absolutely choked was caused by bad reactive coaching instead of positive proactive coaching. Leaving Bynum and Singler on the court for too long at the end there cost us through turnovers and bad shots (bynum) and terrible handling and unsure hands (Singler).

If we injected Billups in earlier in the last instead of in the final 3 minutes, we would of won by about 6...

This just shows that we did absolutely everything we could possible to lose this game against the team who got to the Western conference finals last year... We clearly looked better than them on their own home court...

Without our starting PG Jennings...

This is all very positive out of a loss - which should of been an easy win, up by 7 with 1.10 left in the 4th... Still frustrating

NBA lottery pick

This team should be better defensively. We've given up over 100 points in both of our games. That's what's concerning me. We've actually scored more offensively than I thought we would though.