Default Anthony Davis vs. rookie KG

lets compare current anthony davis to a rookie KG, who has better:

-jump shot
    -interior scoring
    -passing
    -rebounding
    -defense

also do you think anthony davis can develop to have the skillset of KG?

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: Anthony Davis vs. rookie KG

what makes you say rookie KG was better in all those areas?

excellent analysis. i loved your thoroughness. with such context, comparative algorithms, situational breakdowns and advanced stats, it's going to be extremely difficult for anybody to challenge or refute your position. you are a scholar

pretty sure he was asking 'who' was better at the different areas listed, i dont believe he was telling you KG was better.

Serious playground baller LBJDW305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    pretty sure he was asking 'who' was better at the different areas listed, i dont believe he was telling you KG was better.
    Common sense is not so common on here
    Last edited by LBJDW305; 06-29-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    hmm, you might be right. it depends if he means 'has' like he typed or 'was' like he's asking an open ended question. if he meant 'has', then he's listing all the things KG is better at davis at....

i can't remember KG's rookie season jumper much, but i know KG has him beat in interior scoring easily. davis has to get better in the post and he shot less than 35% in post situations at kentucky. KG had much better footwork and touch around the basket. both he and KG run the court extremely well.

passing i would say is close to even with davis possibly more prepared due to playing at kentucky, but KG was probably the one with better overall court vision, especially passing out of doubles (which i can't say happened a lot as a rookie but i digress).

rebounding again is close to even. KG is most certainly the better defensive rebounder while davis has shown he has the ability to box out and grab offensive boards.

defense, i'm going to davis. KG became an all-time great defender but davis is a natural right now. he already hedges well and can go out on the perimeter and block jump shots. KG was better at stealing due to his quick hands. we'll see if he can get close to 2 bpg his rookie season.

lastly, it's important to note that KG basically played as a PF/C 7th grade and on. davis didn't do so until his senior year in HS. that's why KG was more polished and smoother offensively, especially in the post. interior scoring is the biggest gap i can see between the two....
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-29-2012 at 05:07 AM.

KG as a rookie didn't hardly do anything. "Da Kid" was like an energy type SF. He weighed like 195 too. We had Laettner and Gugliotta doing most of the power forward work. He basically rebounded and blocked shots and provided energy. (10.4pts), (6.3 Rebs.) It wasn't until the next season when we got Starbury that KG grew up into the player he would become. When he started every game and put up (17.0pts.) and (8.0 rebs). And it wasn't even til 1997-98 that he finally surpassed Tom Gugliotta and became "The Franchise!"...Then on to "Big Ticket" status before ultimately being gifted to Boston.
    Last edited by KKittles30; 06-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KKittles30
    KG as a rookie didn't hardly do anything. "Da Kid" was like an energy type SF. He weighed like 195 too. We had Laettner and Gugliotta doing most of the power forward work. He basically rebounded and blocked shots and provided energy. (10.4pts), (6.3 Rebs.) It wasn't until the next season when we got Starbury that KG grew up into the player he would become. When he started every game and put up (17.0pts.) and (8.0 rebs). And it wasn't even til 1997-98 that he finally surpassed Tom Gugliotta and became "The Franchise!"...Then on to "Big Ticket" status before ultimately being gifted to Boston.
    Before Al Jefferson completely tore his ACL he was averaging about 23/11/2/2 on nearly 50% shooting. Add in a couple role players and 2 first rounders, the trade was good for Minnesota.

KG had 3 years left to be the best player on his team. The Wolves weren't going to accomplish anything in 3 years, so they took the best route to rebuild with a beast Al Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJDW305
    well maybe if he was asking a question he should have used a "?" to end the sentence?

KG was a better shooter probably. I'm not sure about defense. This would be easier if we had a year of college KG to compare but he went straight to the league so...

Ok, to say compare a current Anthony Davis to rookie KG is not a great way to do things. Anthony Davis hasn't played one game in the NBA so we don't know how his game will transfer to a more intense NBA schedule. Plus, he won't be playing NCAA players anymore, he will be playing the best rebounders, defensive players, shot blockers, etc. in the world. It's a transition period. So let's just wait until a quarter of the way through the season THEN make comparisons.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Low
    Ok, to say compare a current Anthony Davis to rookie KG is not a great way to do things. Anthony Davis hasn't played one game in the NBA so we don't know how his game will transfer to a more intense NBA schedule. Plus, he won't be playing NCAA players anymore, he will be playing the best rebounders, defensive players, shot blockers, etc. in the world. It's a transition period. So let's just wait until a quarter of the way through the season THEN make comparisons.

Who cares if he played against college kids? He won a national championship.

Kg was playing against highschool a year before his rookie season.

Anthony davis's competition > Kg. Let's not act like Kg was a HOFER his rookie year.

Anthony Davis is going to be big time, the dude already has a J, has elite defense with even more room to grow. Can already handle better than most big men & has the benefit of having played pg up until his sophmore/jr year of highschool.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    lets compare current anthony davis to a rookie KG, who has better:

-jump shot
    -interior scoring
    -passing
    -rebounding
    -defense

also do you think anthony davis can develop to have the skillset of KG?
    I think that we should wait until Ant plays an actual NBA game before we compare the two. I hope that Ant can develop his skillset and become equal to or better than KG. It all depends on how bad he wants it. We will see in a few weeks during summer league play. I hope the kid becomes a beast in the NBA and dominates.

Banned

Can the kid play an NBA game first before starting these sorts of threads?

Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJDW305
    I just logged on to say LOL. That is all.