Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default OFFICIAL: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

i hope this works out.

The Los Angeles Lakers have hired Mike D'Antoni as their next head, sources told ESPN.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the deal is for four years.

D'Antoni won't be available until later in the week, after he's medically cleared following knee replacement surgery, a source told ESPN.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rs-sources-say

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/1...e-mike-dantoni
    Lakers spokesman John Black confirmed on Sunday night that the team has signed Mike D'Antoni to a multi-year contract.

The team is expected to have a press conference to announce the deal most likely on Tuesday or Wednesday of the coming week.

According to Black, Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak were unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time.

Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash both expressed support for the idea of playing for D'Antoni, who was Nash's coach in Phoenix when the point guard won consecutive MVP awards in 2005 and 2006.
    Last edited by Mgamer20o0; 11-12-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Default Re: Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

sad day I hope they know what they are doing...oh well...maybe the end of the ring era.

Looks like no championship this year...oh well, no need to beat dishnetwork to sign the deal with twc

If they fail to achieve a championship this year, the fans will have reasons to hate Jimmy even more and mark the end of Phil of coming back to Lakers AND Howard may not resign with D'Antoni. It looks like Howard was hoping for Phil too based on the post-game interview. This also means other team would try to pick Phil up now that they know he is available. It would funny as hell if Phil get picked up by Clippers later to challenge Lakers or whatever Howard goes to.
    Last edited by kobesabi; 11-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Local High School Star

i am no fan of Dantoni, but one thing i like is that he will speed up the game. Sessions strengths were vasted by MB last year and now we have Nash and Howard and the Lakers were walking the ball up the court...

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    i am no fan of Dantoni, but one thing i like is that he will speed up the game. Sessions strengths were vasted by MB last year and now we have Nash and Howard and the Lakers were walking the ball up the court...
    If they waste this year, Howard may not return. Neither will Phil now that Lakers made this decision. Lets hope Phil made decision first instead of Lakers... I guess we will know more details soon. If they don't win this year...they will lose many Lakers fan including PJax fan.
    Last edited by kobesabi; 11-12-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

D'Antoni might be a great choice... Our defence is better than
    our offense at this point, and D'Antoni is an offensive guru.

And he knows Nash's skills so well, he'll get the most out of him
    when he's back....

D'Antoni
    WTF is wrong with our Ownership.....did Jerry let Jimmy make the decision again?
    And why the rush to sign him? Why not continue negotiating with Phil for the rest of the week.....D'Antoni just had surgery and can't coach for 10 days.
    This reminds me of the idiotic rush to sign Mike Brown. And WHY OH WHY 4 year contract.....how did that work last time???
    This guy is to Defense what Mike Brown was to Offense
    Did ownership forget that the Showtime Lakers focused on defense and rebounds in addition to running?
    An older Nash and Kobe cannot fly up the court shooting in 7 seconds for a season without fading in the 4th and in the playoffs.
    Geez.....has sanity fled this organization?
    Ugh.....I don't know who makes worse head coaching decisions.....my Raiders, My Dodgers or my Lakers......yeah, it's that bad. ....UGH!!!!!!!!!
    There is a reason D'Antoni has never been to the NBA finals.
    I would've given Phil anything he wanted except part ownership....and would've extended the negotiation.......I'm so very pissed!!!

Wow......Just heard Stephen A. Smith rail on the selection of D'Antoni worse than I just did.....he added some big time facts....D'Antoni's teams were always in the bottom 4 in the league in defense,
    Skip just called it a disaster of a signing. They said they are sure Jimmy made the decision.
    They are blowing up the signing worse than I did.
    Apparently Steve Kerr tried to get D'Antoni to coach some defense and he said he'd rather leave than change....so he goes to N.Y and continues to be in the bottom 4 in defense.
    Stephen A. just called Jimmy Buss a problem for the team and said his people tell him the same thing.......just as I have been telling everyone.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 11-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Stephen A. Smith on D'Antoni signing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8SHzQ6Q6A

This is the one without Skip...but still just as harsh and true.

Wow......Just heard Stephen A. Smith rail on the selection of D'Antoni worse than I just did.....he added some big time facts....D'Antoni's teams were always in the bottom 4 in the league in defense,
    He's just spewing shit, that is something he made up.

D'Antoni said he didn't want anyone to post up because it clogs the lane, this is why Amare never learned any post up moves, he said this is why he went to learn post moves and defense from Hakeem.......we have Dwight.....why did we hire this guy
    This is going to end badly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    He's just spewing shit, that is something he made up.
    So....he made up facts that are well known throughout the NBA and are very easy to look up???? Uh.....sure

Really excited about this move. Can't comment now. I'm driving. You'll hear my analysis tonight when I return. Try not to start a riot before I Grr back dk okay? :)

*from my android*

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Really excited about this move. Can't comment now. I'm driving. You'll hear my analysis tonight when I return. Try not to start a riot before I Grr back dk okay? :)

*from my android*
    Oh boy.....I can't wait to hear this

The team will at least be exciting.....but that's as far as it goes.

Nash is going to have a field day with D’Antoni as coach, so I'm pretty optimistic about that since he was struggling before he got injured. If the Lakers can show they can play D, then this might work. Offense will take care of itself. Not my first choice but I'll reserve my judgement.

"Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells"

Get it DONE.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

I'm hoping Nate is signed.

I usually hit open layups

I can just imagine what Phil Jackson said:

"I want 10 million a year and I want to coach all out of town games from my couch. I'll call my assistant coaches on my cell phone and tell them what to do." hahaha

The biggest downside of this hire is that my buddy DK is going to gripe, whine and bitch about it the entire season! In DK's words:

hahahahahaha Just joking DK.

I'm leaving town tomorrow until Xmas so I won't be able to check in as often. DK, I suspect upon hearing this news that you will be saddened but do try and get along without me. Have a great Thanksgiving guys!
    Last edited by mr sax; 11-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.