Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Larry Bird Post Moves (13:18 Minutes)

similar skillset and athletic ability...we know how well he worked out in the L.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRx0oUX-fns

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    similar skillset and athletic ability...we know how well he worked out in the L.

Serious question, whose alt is this?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Serious question, whose alt is this?
    No one's. The Logo/9erempire has been a troll for awhile. I give him credit for being able to string together semi-coherent sentences despite having Kobe's ***** so far up his mouth it's puncturing a hole in his brain.

High School Varsity 6th Man

It's really sad how the young basketball fans of today will never understand how great bird was at posting up, making the stand still pass and making the timely defensive play. All the young people today only understand the athletic plays and can't understand the beauty of the fundamental basketball play.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Kobe fans….

Back to the thread.

Most of those moves look extremely basic and simple.

But how come very few have done them?

That's an honest question.

Not too many people were able to do these apparently simple and basic moves. He was just smarter and more importantly had 'patience' something I always criticize Bron for not having.

There's many situations in which if Bird was any other player, he could've easily just thrown up a wild or a forced contested turnaround. But instead his patience allowed him to find a crease and get a better shot.

Bron tends to dribble away from the post in many similar situations, like why'd he do that for?

I think many players have the balance and footwork that Hakeem, Bird, McHale and others had, but they lacked the discipline and patience to get a better shot.

For clarification when I state "patience" I don't mean they hold the ball forever and make a decision. By "patience" I mean they don't settle as quickly and just give in to the defense. Their decision making and patience is usually at the speed of thought.
    Last edited by andgar923; 11-13-2012 at 03:53 PM.

lol @ this video.

It shows man on man coverage and he received the ball so easily.

Too much ball pressure in today's league for those kind of moves. Bird would be pushed around in his small frame.

You're funny dude, sadly funny

Must not seen the same vid I saw, the man is getting roughed up in most possessions, guarded by dudes like Pippen, Rodman, Grant, Salley, Mahorn, Chambers, Kersey and you talk about today's soft league? lmao

Almost 6'10, 220 lbs when he entered the league, is a small frame? You got dudes like Battier playing PF nowadays

And he wasn't strong? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUmz4...feature=relmfu
    Takes Moses, Barkley and more to put him down and even so it was hard.

GTFO
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 11-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.

LMAO, great joke.

Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Love... relatively similar skillset, similar athletic ability, still miles away as overall players... we know how well they worked out in the league.

[QUOTE=andgar923] Kobe fans

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    I don't think that making high post stepback contested fadeaways, faking the pivot to turnaround jumpers, making left and right handed hooks and floaters, scooping around two opponents, making fast up and unders, or quick spins, are simple at all.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
    Of course those aren't simple, I just mentioned that they 'appear' because that's the illusion that some of today's fans believe.

But I was also referring to the scoop shots and regular layups he took by squeezing his way under, and around defenders. Awkward layups that 'appear' to be simple, but actually require court awareness, timing, dexterity, balance and strength (for some). Honestly, some of those shots were simple, but he made them simple. He positioned himself and made the proper decisions to get those simple shots.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Of course those aren't simple, I just mentioned that they 'appear' because that's the illusion that some of today's fans believe.

But I was also referring to the scoop shots and regular layups he took by squeezing his way under, and around defenders. Awkward layups that 'appear' to be simple, but actually require court awareness, timing, dexterity, balance and strength (for some). Honestly, some of those shots were simple, but he made them simple. He positioned himself and made the proper decisions to get those simple shots.
    Agreed

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

Bird's first pro coach, Bill Fitch, nicknamed him "Kodak" because he could seemingly form mental pictures of the game in his head before they actually happened. (Those of you who remember Polaroids will have an easier time understanding the analogy).

Point being is that part of what truly separates the great ones from the rest is their ability to anticipate player movement and spacing a second or two in advance of when it happens. For anyone who's played the game enough, you know the feeling of making or receiving that great pass, or taking the well-timed shot after you've had the patience to wait for the optimal moment to make that play. Often, it results in what looks to be an easy scoring opportunity. As a player, it happens to me every so often. For the greats like Bird and Magic, it happened on a regular basis.

This is why you'll often see these players seemingly make something out of nothing, squeezing through the smallest of holes or threading the needle in a way that often surprises their opponent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

You're funny dude, sadly funny

Must not seen the same vid I saw, the man is getting roughed up in most possessions, guarded by dudes like Pippen, Rodman, Grant, Salley, Mahorn, Chambers, Kersey and you talk about today's soft league? lmao

Almost 6'10, 220 lbs when he entered the league, is a small frame? You got dudes like Battier playing PF nowadays

And he wasn't strong? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUmz4...feature=relmfu
    Takes Moses, Barkley and more to put him down and even so it was hard.

GTFO
    lol @ the exaggerations.

He was 6' 9'' and 210 llbs was his playing weight.

The reason why Bird's moves were so basic because it was just that. Bad defense but he was a good shooter so I expect him to make it.

Don't let rough play make you think it's good defense because it's not.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

lol @ the exaggerations.

He was 6' 9'' and 210 llbs was his playing weight.

The reason why Bird's moves were so basic because it was just that. Bad defense but he was a good shooter so I expect him to make it.

Don't let rough play make you think it's good defense because it's not.
    all I can say is LOL.

You need to watch a lot more basketball.

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

Larry Bird with athleticism would make Lebron an afterthought.

Larry Bird was great in the post, yes. But I think that Kobe has proven to be the best post player of all time.