Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    No one in this thread has mentioned intangibles. Bird was one of the most driven and homicidally competitive players the league has ever seen. He was also one of the best clutch players as well. These things translate to all forms of basketball.

Bird would win, and by a comfortable margin.
    So was pippen. All you have to know about pippens drive is that he went from being a ball manger in college to an all-time great hofer. Bird left indiana cuz he couldn't cut it. Drive and inatngibles. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Bird routinely dogged Pippen...i don't respect your opinion on this matter, i can tell for a fact you've never seen these 2 matched up...sorry dude but you don't know what the hell your talking about.
    Bird didn't routinely dog pippen. He dogged sellers. Once pippen matured, pippen dogged bird.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Bird didn't routinely dog pippen. He dogged sellers. Once pippen matured, pippen dogged bird.

Like i said, you've never seen those games in the 80's, so you don't know what your talking about kid....

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...r=images&co=10
    Last edited by bwink23; 01-23-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Go YouTube some Bird highlights. He gets a one inch step on his man and the shot is good...
    This one of the key's to Bird's game he didn't need to get much separation to get his shot off. And he has a quick release and his shot and his ball fake looked pretty much the same. The NBA was filled with guys who thought Bird wouldn't get his shot against him. As for the idea that pump fakes wouldn't work in one on one, that seems ludicrous. So the strategy would let Bird shoot and hope you could get to it? Does that seem like a good strategy if it's two points behind the arc. James Worthy said he used to be mentally exhausted after playing a game against Bird, because your concentration needed to much greater than in an average game.

On the opposite end, I think Bird would have to play off Pippen which would give Pippen more uncontested shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0NMFf9Dkg.....Larry Bird 33 points and making a mockery of 7'0 Brad Sellers and Scottie Pippen. Notice they even would put Sellers on Bird instead of Pippen when they were on the court at the same time, cuz of Seller's length...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAOx36A48wU...about 5 minutes into the video...

As you can see, Bird has no problems shooting over Pippen....
    Is this the shot you mean?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAOx36A48wU#t=06m21s

If you at the following to a youtube link, you can go to exact point in the clip.
    #t=00m00s

So if you add #t=02m30s to the URL, it go to 2 minutes, 30 seconds in.

The following is a good example of how Bird didn't need much space and gets his shot off at the 7 footer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0NMFf9Dkg#t=00m30s

You were TOO YOUNG kid, move along. You don't know what your talking about....you'd have to actually have seen these guys matched up, which they did back in the day, and Pippen had all he could handle with Bird, trust me.
    I'm no kid, my first NBA Finals I saw was the Rockets/Celtics in 86.

I think the thing here is we got a lot of white old timers trying to prop one of their own, I'm not black nor white, I'm nuetral.

Read carefully, I'm not saying Pippen is a better player than Bird, IMO, Bird is top 5 GOAT player while Pip is top 20, but we are not talking 5v5 ball, in a 1v1 Pip wins because he's an elite athletic and long defender while Bird was avg at best at D, advantage Pippen.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    This one of the key's to Bird's game he didn't need to get much separation to get his shot off. And he has a quick release and his shot and his ball fake looked pretty much the same. The NBA was filled with guys who thought Bird wouldn't get his shot against him. As for the idea that pump fakes wouldn't work in one on one, that seems ludicrous. So the strategy would let Bird shoot and hope you could get to it? Does that seem like a good strategy if it's two points behind the arc. James Worthy said he used to be mentally exhausted after playing a game against Bird, because your concentration needed to much greater than in an average game.

On the opposite end, I think Bird would have to play off Pippen which would give Pippen more uncontested shots.
    If I'm pippen, I'm not biting on any sort of pump fake. Get in his hip pocket and take away his jumpshot and dare him to try to drive and be ready to meet him at the rim.

On the other hand, if bird allows pippen to just shoot uncontested jumpers, its gonns be an easy win for pippen. His jumpshot wasn't that bad enough that you can dare him to shoot it. Much less allow him to get into a rythem.

And james worthy is no pippen. Especially on defense

If I'm pippen, I'm not biting on any sort of pump fake. Get in his hip pocket and take away his jumpshot and dare him to try to drive and be ready to meet him at the rim.
    Two points here. If you're not biting on pump fakes, you're going to letting some uncontested shots go up because he shot and his fake looked the same.

When you say meet him at the rim, are you talking in terms of blocking his shot? I don't know of too many times where Bird's man blocked him when he was driving. That was usually because Bird didn't usually take the shot where you expected him too. He would scoop it or go off angle. If he did get his shot blocked while driving it was usually someone playing help defense.

And I agree with you that on defense, Bird is going to have to pick his poison.

You guys act like Pippen is MJ on offense. The better offensive player wins 1 on 1.

You guys also act like Pippen is gonna block every one of Bird's shots. Bird made a career out of outplaying his defender.

Oh and Bird was one of the most ambidextrous players ever.

present day?

gotta go with pip. Birds back must be in terrible shape for basketball it his age, what with all the problems he had during his career

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    present day?

gotta go with pip. Birds back must be in terrible shape for basketball it his age, what with all the problems he had during his career

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    You guys act like Pippen is MJ on offense. The better offensive player wins 1 on 1.

You guys also act like Pippen is gonna block every one of Bird's shots. Bird made a career out of outplaying his defender.

Oh and Bird was one of the most ambidextrous players ever.
    If I were to grade the two offensively and defensively

Offense

Bird A+
    Pippen B

Defense (man defense since this is 1 on 1)

Bird D
    Pippen A+

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Two points here. If you're not biting on pump fakes, you're going to letting some uncontested shots go up because he shot and his fake looked the same.

When you say meet him at the rim, are you talking in terms of blocking his shot? I don't know of too many times where Bird's man blocked him when he was driving. That was usually because Bird didn't usually take the shot where you expected him too. He would scoop it or go off angle. If he did get his shot blocked while driving it was usually someone playing help defense.

And I agree with you that on defense, Bird is going to have to pick his poison.
    You don't need to bite on pump fakes to contest a jumpshot. Just get up on him and make him drive or tey to score of the dribble.

Same goees with meeting him at the rim. You don't need to block every shot, but I don't see bird being able to beat pippen athletically.

Bird D
    Pippen A+
    A D? D? Seriously...D? D?

HAHAHAHAHA

Read this thread...please... http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=230228&page=3

Also...check this video out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ixy8Uttq0

If I were to grade the two offensively and defensively

Offense

Bird A+
    Pippen B

Bird D
    Pippen A+
    Bird was a pretty good help defender, but ISO D not so much, I 'd grade him about a C overall.