Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Talking Re: Yi to demand a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by SJellen
    so lets say hes on the block, whats his value?

Yi for artest

Yi for 1st and a second rounder?
    Sacto- Bucks Trade

Yi Jianlian, Brian Skinner, 2nd round pick for Spencer Hawes, Ron Artest and John Salmons. That would be a good and perfectly balance deal.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-29-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Yi to demand a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Heretik32
    Way to build yourself an early reputation in the league...
    It's no different than Steve Francis or Kobe Bryant. Exact same thing, except that Francis wanted to be closer to home (as if Houston was) and Bryant would ONLY play for the Lakers.

Yi wants to go to a place with a large Chinese population so that he can ease his assimilation into living in the US. It doesn't have to be a large market, it doesn't have to be a specific market, just a market with enough Chinese people around that he can feel a little taste of home, and who knows, maybe even start a little bit of a fanbase. I don't think that's too much for a player to ask. Before he was drafted, he didn't want any part of the Bucks for this reason. If you're the Bucks, you have to have an IQ of .5 to draft a player who doesn't want to be in your city. "Oh, we'll make him." Yeah? And he can just go stay in China, and you wasted the #6 pick in the deepest draft in a decade. Not only that, but wouldn't you want to help ease the transition of a new player coming in from a completely different country? Wouldn't you take that into account, because it's obviously going to affect how well he plays the game. He's already got to learn a different language and a different game style, and now you're going to make him learn how to live in a completely different culture in Wisconsin? In Wis-****ing-consin? The land of white, fat, ignorant, racist, bigoted cheeseheads? McCarthyLand?

Dumbest pick in the draft, unless they were only picking him as trade bait, then it's a pretty smart move. However, I don't see them shopping him around, do you?
    Last edited by JalenRawley; 06-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Sacto- Bucks Trade

Yi Jialian, Brian Skinner, Desmond Mason for Spencer Hawes, Ron Artest and John Salmons. That would be a good and perfectly balance deal.
    Brilliant.

It's just a shame Desmond Mason plays the the Hornets. But, maybe they'll let the Bucks borrow him, eh?

High School Starter

If you look at the grand scheme of things,

Yi going to a large market is good for basketball (i mean the sport of basketball) in a global sense. Not to mention that it is a wise business move. I'm sure Yi's agent and all his backers
    want to maximize their cash and popularity cow.

I dont think Yi minds playing anywhere. I mean, the dood has been playing 4+ years in the CBA lol.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I already didn't like this guy, now he is just a douche. He has no right to demand anything because he hasn't done anything. I wish he could get a big BAN stamped on his passport and NBA documents. He deserves to get his ass booted out of the league for that. This is the NBA not that weak **** he played in China you have to prove yourself here.

I hope he gets booed every where he plays. Guy is a troll.
    This "douche" was dunking all over the US national team that is supposed to be made up of the NBA's BEST players, and the best the US has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by cdot11
    I dont understand why everyone is bashing this guy. Arent his reps the ones in control of all of this or does HE, himself, actually want a trade? The Bucks are the idiots for taking him and trying to call China's bluff.
    Thank you. The Bucks are the real morons here. They were barred from seeing the guy play because the chinese gov't is obviously involved and didn't want him playing for the Bucks, but the Bucks go and draft him anyways?

How stupid can you be to not see this coming?

And you idiots are insulting this guy? Why? It's not like he's the first player who's ever held out because they didn't like their team, or demanded a trade, etc.

In fact, Glenn Robinson held out his rookie year against the Bucks.... for more money!

This Yi guy has big political ramifications for China, and you guys are *****ing at him, because a team took him that China wouldn't let him play for.

You're lucky to see these guys play at all. When Toni Kukoc and Dina Radja were drafted it was a good 4-5 years before they actually got to play for their respective teams.

[QUOTE=dhenk]I think it`s the chinese gov`t who wants to see him in a big chinese market,not necessarily a big market...it`s much more politics thn you might think...
    I

I usually hit open layups

Yi's reps want some big money, CBA wants money, so they want him in a big city.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

What the hell is wrong with all these ISH idiots, who think that everything has to be done the way the US does it.
    Because this is how the draft system is set up. If he didn't want to risk going to Milwaukee then he should have stayed in China or gone to Europe to play.

What would happen if all players (or their reps) started doing this crap? Greg Oden says "you know what? I'd rather play for a playoff team, Portland better not pick me". Or Durant does the same thing? There is a reason this draft system with the teams getting the rights to the players is in place. And again, it's not preventing the players from making a living playing basketball either. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

Milwaukee took the best talent available and he should be expected to report and play for them. Milwaukee could explore trade options but should feel no pressure to get anything done that screws them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Exactly. China is obviously the ones pulling the strings here. What the hell is wrong with all these ISH idiots, who think that everything has to be done the way the US does it.
    Because it completely destroys the integrity of the draft process. Instead of worrying about "is this the best pick for my team or the best talent available", GMs have to worry, "oh no, is he going to whine and cry because it rains too much here or because he doesn't feel like he'll assimilate easily?"

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the game he wants to play then he can stay in China. If you want to make the big bucks, then shut your mouth and suck it up.

"Oh no, I'm making MILLIONS to play a game in a city I don't like! SOMEONE CRY ME A ****ING RIVER, PLEASE!"

We shouldn't be giving into the demands of the Chinese government, anyways. Can you imagine if this was the American government doing something like this? "Oh, the American government is so arrogant! They think they can just do whatever they want!"

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Because this is how the draft system is set up. If he didn't want to risk going to Milwaukee then he should have stayed in China or gone to Europe to play.

What would happen if all players (or their reps) started doing this crap? Greg Oden says "you know what? I'd rather play for a playoff team, Portland better not pick me". Or Durant does the same thing? There is a reason this draft system with the teams getting the rights to the players is in place. And again, it's not preventing the players from making a living playing basketball either. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

Milwaukee took the best talent available and he should be expected to report and play for them. Milwaukee could explore trade options but should feel no pressure to get anything done that screws them over.
    So look at it like a job interview. You're in HR, trying to hire a full time employee, and you have a little of applicants. One in particular doesn't even show up for the interview. You talk to his previous employers, and they tell you he's looking for something different than what you're offering. He obviously doesn't want to work for you. So, you hire him anyway, he's unhappy, he doesn't give 100%, he calls in sick a lot, and you think he pretends to understand a little less English than he really does, especially at key moments. Is this what you wanted? A half-assed employee? Is this what you're spending your money on?

Now, imagine the CFO looking over the reports, and he sees that this new guy isn't doing a damn thing. Everyone in the company, even the shareholders are complaining about this guy. What idiot would hire someone like this? Looking deeper into the hiring process, you see that the guy didn't even want to be here, and the moron in HR still hired him. So, they end up getting rid of the employee at their own cost, most likely firing the guy from HR, and if the CEO gets wind of it, the CFO might lose his job too.

What does this mean? Pick the right person for the job. Don't pick the wrong person and force them to do the job, you're -NEVER- going to get positive results that way. This is just common sense, but common sense is about as common as skinny Mensan in Wisconsin.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Because of two things.

Number one, when you're dealing with an international player, you can't expect to follow the rules of just one country, or just the league. China has its own set of rules and expectations. You have to respect that and work within that.

Number two. There's nothing stopping a player like Oden from holding out. The fact of the matter is, it could happen with every player drafted.

The only source of checks and balances on that, is simply that if you don't play you don't get paid.

So if a guy is ok with not being paid, then that's his choice and he can do whatever he wants.

If you guys as fans are pissed about that, how do you think they feel, being pretty much forced to live and play somewhere they don't want to?

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    If you guys as fans are pissed about that, how do you think they feel, being pretty much forced to live and play somewhere they don't want to?
    It's the draft. You don't have a say in where you go. It's like me being pissed off I didn't win the million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Except in this case, they won millions and they're just whiny because they don't like the city. Oh no! Guess what? I don't like my job either. Get over it, cry baby.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Because it completely destroys the integrity of the draft process. Instead of worrying about "is this the best pick for my team or the best talent available", GMs have to worry, "oh no, is he going to whine and cry because it rains too much here or because he doesn't feel like he'll assimilate easily?"

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the game he wants to play then he can stay in China. If you want to make the big bucks, then shut your mouth and suck it up.

"Oh no, I'm making MILLIONS to play a game in a city I don't like! SOMEONE CRY ME A ****ING RIVER, PLEASE!"

We shouldn't be giving into the demands of the Chinese government, anyways. Can you imagine if this was the American government doing something like this? "Oh, the American government is so arrogant! They think they can just do whatever they want!"
    Um, newsflash: The American government has been doing this in just about every single way you can possibly describe since the late 1800s. Take a look at a few presidential doctrines over the years if you don't believe me.

And again, what you're describing is EXACTLY what Steve Francis and Kobe Bryant did, not what Yi Jianlian is doing right now. He's not whining because he doesn't like Milwaukee. He's not whining because the weather isn't nice. He said FROM THE BEGINNING that he wanted to be in a city with a large Chinese population. That's it. That's -not- too much to ask for someone who has grown up in China, to want to be in a city with people he can relate to.

Did people get this ignorance over Francis and Bryant? No, of course not. They weren't Chinese. They were just arrogant, spoiled Americans, and both were appeased immediately.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

The Nba is too big and some teams are going to be non competative for a long time. This is a business and some players do not benifit from a non media team. There are jersies and contracts that pay more than NBA salaries pay. That alone makes some teams not wanted by players.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy

The thing is China dosent care what people think and they'll do what they want. Im not taking sides but it is meesed up that China is potentially keeping this guy from playing in the NBA.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley
    So look at it like a job interview. You're in HR, trying to hire a full time employee, and you have a little of applicants. One in particular doesn't even show up for the interview. You talk to his previous employers, and they tell you he's looking for something different than what you're offering. He obviously doesn't want to work for you. So, you hire him anyway, he's unhappy, he doesn't give 100%, he calls in sick a lot, and you think he pretends to understand a little less English than he really does, especially at key moments. Is this what you wanted? A half-assed employee? Is this what you're spending your money on?

Now, imagine the CFO looking over the reports, and he sees that this new guy isn't doing a damn thing. Everyone in the company, even the shareholders are complaining about this guy. What idiot would hire someone like this? Looking deeper into the hiring process, you see that the guy didn't even want to be here, and the moron in HR still hired him. So, they end up getting rid of the employee at their own cost, most likely firing the guy from HR, and if the CEO gets wind of it, the CFO might lose his job too.

What does this mean? Pick the right person for the job. Don't pick the wrong person and force them to do the job, you're -NEVER- going to get positive results that way. This is just common sense, but common sense is about as common as skinny Mensan in Wisconsin.
    All true but I think everyone assumes that the PLAYER in this case wouldn't dog it as it would seriously hurt his future prospects once his rookie deal is done.

In my naive thinking here, I'm also hoping Milwaukee "bites the bullet" of sorts and shows players/representatives that kind of stuff cannot happen. Similar to what happened in the NHL with Alexei Yashin. He didn't want to play out his contract and his team said it would be a breach of contract.

Yi and his people should have no leverage when it comes to the draft or like the other poster mentioned, it will ruin the integrity of the draft (which IMO is a solid system).

And people did criticize Francis for his moves and still do to this day. Vancouver simply caved into the pressure quickly.