Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Off-season

DeMarre Carroll

All indications are he will return to the Jazz next season, and Carroll said Utah informed him they'll pick up his option.
    No brainer. Wonder if that affects Howard at all? I'd welcome him back to at the right price.

Derrick Favors

Favors said he finally feels like he's in the NBA. He wants to be a starter next year, take his career to the next level and do everything possible to succeed.
    After his exit meeting, Favors spoke with Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor and Corbin about starting for the Jazz next season.
    Changes coming!

Raja Bell

Bell does not expect to return to Jazz next year.

Bell hopes the Jazz do the right thing and move him before the 2012-13 season. He was open to it before the trade deadline but never asked for trade.

Bell said Corbin was "unprofessional" at the end of the season. According to Bell, Corbin made things personal by playing everyone in the playoffs except for him and it was obvious.

Bell said if he's still on Jazz at the start of next season "we'll cross that bridge" then.

Bell said NBA referees and San Antonio coaches/players asked why he wasn't playing during the playoffs. They never understood what the Jazz were doing.
    Bell wanted to move on after his March confrontation with Corbin and thought the Jazz were going to, since they publicly said they would. Bell said Utah was two-faced and Corbin obviously punished him for the remainder of the year.

Bell said there were times this season he didn't know he was active until he was informed pregame by the media.

C.J. Miles

Miles said the team was put off by Al Jefferson's pre-Game 4 comments about no one beating the Spurs in the playoffs and San Antonio being better than Utah.

Miles loves the Jazz, the team's fans and thinks Corbin will evolve. But he never knew what was expected of him this year.

Miles said communication was much better with former coach Jerry Sloan, and Corbin has struggled relaying his message to team.

Miles: "I don't even remember us naming a captain, but they wanted leadership."

Miles wanted to play in Game 4 but said he wasn't allowed to.

Miles said he's not the type of person to speak out but he couldn't hold back anymore. He spent a long time with the Jazz, always did what the team asked of him and wanted the situation to work. But he felt the Jazz didn't treat him right this season and couldn't hold his tongue.
    Raja was a Sloan favorite too. Another sign of the change that's happened. It's official! CJ and Raja gone.

Devin Harris

Harris is "excited" to enter a contract year. He knows he started slowly and didn't initially play well this season. But he feels like he found his game at end of year.
    Harris acknowledged communication with Corbin has been an issue. Harris said his relationship with Corbin improved as the season went on and he thinks Corbin will figure things out over time.
    The game he found is better suited elsewhere. Package deal: Harris/Jefferson/Bell/possibly Watson and or Tinsley(depending on other moves)?
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 05-08-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Kanter says: "This year I learned so much. I learned so much from Al (Jefferson), from the playoffs and (Tim) Duncan. When I wasn't on the court, I watched what other players did. I'm going to work on my post moves and my passes and get more faster."
    He knows what he needs to work on. I expect him to make huge strides.

Bell comes across as a major league whiner, but the fact that multiple players say he needs to work on his communication skills probably means Corbin isn't entirely blameless in it. Just chalk it up to another learning experience for an inexperienced head coach.

Other players said communication with him was fine. It appears to be divided between the guys that were playing and not playing. Sloan loved Bell so it's not surprising him saying they communicated beter. CJ is a little more surprising but it sounds like he might just have Raja's back on this one and probably saw the writing on the wall anyway and knew he wouldn't be back so what the hell.

[quote]Favors has excelled for the Jazz and he looks to challenge incumbent starter Paul Millsap at the power forward position next season. Millsap has been dangled as trade bait over the last few seasons and his status on the team is something the Jazz must figure out over the summer.

If Utah feels that Favors is the player they want starting at the four both next year and for many years to come, the time is now to get some value for Millsap via trade. Millsap, who

[quote]Among the more revealing comments during Tuesday

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/660/0...offseason.html

Traditionally, the Jazz haven't made much of a splash in free agency. It's hard to lure big names to the Beehive State, even with extra cash. (Sorry, Jazz fans -- players like Ray Allen and Jason Terry are not walking through that door.)
    Funny the Jazz were the first to sign Terry as a free agent. They probably want to go for rings but who knows if you give someone a chance for a big role and enough money and security? They'd both certainly be great to see running around screens in the Jazz offense.

Given the Jazz's inconsistent point-guard play in 2012, Dragic could push Devin Harris for the starting job immediately.
    LOL! I doubt he signs if he's not starting. He'd make Harris look silly running the offense as Tinsley has.

Ersan Ilyasova
    He's a couple years younger than Millsap and has more range but other than that how do they figure? He's going to be paid more than Millsap too at least next season. Only place I'd be looking for young guys is at that the 1. They need vets as the playoffs showed.

Batum's a versatile player who could fill a number of gaps if C.J. Miles and Josh Howard move on.
    If CJ moves on? Think it's when not if at this point. I think they need a more seasoned veteran wing to replace Raja with Hayward and Burks already in place maybe a couple if Howard leaves not that they have any chance at Batum.

Rush could fit and might be gettable. He might make some sense.

Novak I say no unless he comes cheap for the end of the bench and I doubt that is happening.

He's stuck behind Kevin Martin (when he's healthy) in Houston, so Lee might prefer a change of scenery and a starting job if he can get one. Houston would probably be inclined to match, though.
    Martin seems more likely and maybe a better fit anyway. Lee would be nice but he's restricted and they want to get rid of Martin and keep Lee I think.

Belinelli maybe. Might be had

Carlos Delfino
    He might do.

Mo Williams
    Don't see him as a great fit though a huge upgrade over Harris. Not worth the price they'd have to pay though. I'd want him coming off the bench of the ball which is where Devin should be.

the Suns have made it clear that they won't bring Nash back to the desert. He'll probably go to a contending team with a chance at a championship. But unlikely though it may be, if the Jazz could land
    The Suns haven't made it clear that he won't be back. How do these guys get their jobs?

Despite all the talk of NY never letting Lin go it sounds like he is a possible get. The way he ran the pick and roll during Linsanity he'd have to be a guy the Jazz would seriously look at especially if they can't draft a pg.

[quote]Lin will be what

[quote]Kevin O

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/660/1...et-in-the.html

They added to the list.

Bayless might be ok as a combo guard off the bench.

Rudy might be ok if it wasn't for the fact that he's always talking about wanting to be ack in Europe. I'd probably stay away from him. Too hard to keep happy.

Andre Miller, PG, Denver (unrestricted)
    Previous salary: $7.8 million

Could the former Utah Utes star end his career in a Jazz uniform? He's shown he can still perform in a backup role in Denver, averaging 9.7 points and 6.7 assists in 28 minutes per game. But his high price tag and poor outside shooting might make him a liability. The Jazz would have to consider if Miller would bring anything to the table that Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson don't.
    High price tag? He had to settle for a lot less than he's worth last contract. He's likely going to get even less. Bargain! He's a better shooter than Earl and just an overall better player than both Tinsley and Watson. Unless they get Nash I'd say he should be a top target. He could start in Utah depending on who else they get.

Shannon Brown might be alright off the bench too.

Doubt they can get Fields and with Burks and Hayward not sure why they would target him?

Brooks might work but he's ideally not their type unless things change under Ty reign or he wants to come off the bench which I doubt he does unless he has to.

Not sure Augustin is their type either

Farmar might work as a back-up depending on who else they get.

Hill would be a nice bench guy too but I doubt Indiana lets him go.

I don't see any need for AK with what we saw from Hayward the past couple months.

Hayward played the most of the four, earning a starting spot in his second year and averaging 11.8 points and 3.5 rebounds, while starting 58 of 66 games.

He plans to spend most of his summer in his hometown of Indianapolis working out.

Perhaps it's the bad memory of the last two playoff games when he made only 1 of 18 field goal attempts, but Hayward said his main goal in the offseason is "to become an elite-level shooter."

He also said he wants to "develop strength and use my athleticism to take it to the rim and get to the free-throw line some more."
    All the obvious things he needs to work on.

Favors is going to Santa Barbara to work out with teammates Al Jefferson and Kanter. He said there are specific things he needs to work on.

"I need to get stronger and a little bit more explosive and work on my conditioning," he said.

"I want to improve my offensive game, improve my jump shot and just improve overall."
    His post game and passing need the most work.

Corbin singled Kanter out as the player who had come the furthest during the season.
    Not much doubt. You could see it from game to game.

The former Colorado star has a knack for getting to the basket and drawing fouls and many folks believe he can be an NBA starter if he develops a consistent jump shot. He said there's not one specific thing he's working on this summer.

"It's not just one thing, but I need to work on everything to become a more complete player," he said. "I need to get better by doing everything I can."
    Not much doubt he can be a starter in the league. He arguably could have been starting this year. His jump shot will be fine I think. He just needs to put up shots in the summer. Playing within the team concept is what will define how good he can be with the Jazz. He did improve as the season wore on.

[QUOTE]The former Jazz forward was quoted this week by Reuters, saying that returning to Utah is an option. His first option among NBA teams.

This season he played in Russia for CSKA.