Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Jersey Retirements

I love these nights - first Big Ben and now Chauncey, both incredibly well deserved, the two foundations of that championship team with both playing style and attitude -

I am just curious - does this mean we are going to retire Rip, Sheed and Tay's numbers too?...

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Jersey Retirements

The Pistons will be retiring Rips jersey later this year.

I think Tayshaun deserves it. If Vinnie Johnson's number is retired, I think you got to do Tayshaun. He was vital swing man defender and did his business quietly. Never got an All-star selection but kept coming to work. I think he should have got one All-Star swing during the mid 2000s era. He was the reason we didn't draft Melo and no one in Detroit can ever really complain about that. We're just sad we picked Darko under Larry Brown.

Sheed. I go back and forth on this. He put us over the top. He had 5 great seasons here. But, in the minds of the people that aren't Pistons fans, I think Sheed was known more for his Jailblazer days and his hot-headed-ness.

If I were to vote, I'd retire Sheeds number. He did a lot for the Detroit and Michigan community. His attitude was infectious. He was on our coaching staff, too. But, I understand if the Pistons don't. (Plus we are going to run out of numbers at this rate.)

God damn....that Pistons team was one of a kind... Truly family.
    Last edited by ZMonkey11; 02-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Jersey Retirements

Yeah, that starting 5 needs to have their numbers retired. They really did some great things (including changing the rules of the NBA defensively). Sheed was huge here. He gave up on us in the 05 finals. I won't forget that. But he was also what put us over the top to win a championship in the previous year.