Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thoughts of Seattle stealing a team?

Can we all at least agree the Maloofs are slimebags?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Can we all at least agree the Maloofs are slimebags?
    Yup. On the level of Clay Bennett.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Niytrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    It's stealing. Doesn't matter how you sugar coat things. If Seattle was really upset because their team was stolen, they should have compassion by not buying a team and moving it out of there.

Just because they tell you they are going to steal the team and move it, doesn't mean it's any better than a guy that lied and eventually stole the team.
    I disagree completely, two different scenarios in my mind. Schultz's intention was to sell the team to a group that would keep it here. When that failed, another group stepped in an offered to buy the team just to keep it here. The Seattle community went through great lengths just to keep the team here.

The Sonic's have a rich history, and Seattle is a very large market, unlike the Kings, who have moved several times in their history.

You can call it stealing or whatever you want, but the reason so many of the fans in Washington were upset is because of the way things transpired, not because the team was relocated.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

The municipalities have plenty to say, such as not passing an arena. The city of Seattle should be the first people to acknowledge this and basically petition or disallow any new arena unless it's a team from scratch and not the Kings.
    Ultimately, the Kings is their team to do what they want with, if they feel its in their best interests to sell to a billionaire investor who intends to relocate the team to Seattle then thats their prerogative. It was Clay Bennetts right to do likewise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Niytrus
    I disagree completely, two different scenarios in my mind. Schultz's intention was to sell the team to a group that would keep it here. When that failed, another group stepped in an offered to buy the team just to keep it here. The Seattle community went through great lengths just to keep the team here.

The Sonic's have a rich history, and Seattle is a very large market, unlike the Kings, who have moved several times in their history.
    Schultz was pretty stupid though for selling to Clay Bennett. He is equally to blame. Not to mention that he was a terrible owner that didn't care for the Supersonics at all.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    Ultimately, the Kings is their team to do what they want with, if they feel its in their best interests to sell to a billionaire investor who intends to relocate the team to Seattle then thats their prerogative. It was Clay Bennetts right to do likewise.
    I agree that it was his right, but the way that ownership group went about things and the way they lied and deceived the city of Seattle is the reason that there was such an uproar.

Banned

I'm just going to see how this plays out and how both cities feel about it. I know Seattle would be excited but Sacramento...not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    Schultz was pretty stupid though for selling to Clay Bennett. He is equally to blame. Not to mention that he was a terrible owner that didn't care for the Supersonics at all.
    Can't argue with any of that.

Banned

Clay Bennett should be proud for what he did....he basically screwed one of the richest man in the world. He made a better business decision than the freaking owner of Starbucks.

I would be bragging that I "one up" the owner of Starbucks.

I'm just going to see how this plays out and how both cities feel about it. I know Seattle would be excited but Sacramento...not sure.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war opened up with Larry Ellison entering the mix.

Banned

I remember the consensus of Seattle fans stating that they didn't want a team from another city. They explained that getting another team would mean taking another team from a city and let this be a warning to all fans.

It's like they totally forgot this. I want to hear them chime in on this.

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war opened up with Larry Ellison entering the mix.
    The Maloofs will walk away with this as winners. Like I mentioned earlier, they are going to pay a crazy amount for the Kings.

Clay Bennett should be proud for what he did....he basically screwed one of the richest man in the world. He made a better business decision than the freaking owner of Starbucks.

I would be bragging that I "one up" the owner of Starbucks.
    Eh, if you say so. All Clay Bennett did was lie about his intentions. Schultz sold the team for $150MM more than he purchased it for. In all honestly Schultz could care less about what happened with the Sonics - he had no interest in that team when he sold it.

I remember the consensus of Seattle fans stating that they didn't want a team from another city. They explained that getting another team would mean taking another team from a city and let this be a warning to all fans.

It's like they totally forgot this. I want to hear them chime in on this.
    I can't speak for those who said that, but I lived in Seattle when the team was sold, and still live in Washington. I've been a Sonics fan since a kid and the reason I was upset with the team moving is the way it happened - there was no reason to move the team. Seattle is a great market and the fan support is amazing. The only reason the team was moved was because the ownership group wanted a team in OKC. Sacremento is a little different situation in my opinion since it is such a small market and can't get any support for a new arena, but as a Seattle fan I'm OK with the Kings moving to Seattle.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

I agree that it was his right, but the way that ownership group went about things and the way they lied and deceived the city of Seattle is the reason that there was such an uproar.
    Thats how businessmen operate, the Maloofs have been equally duplicitious in their dealings with the City over negotiations for a new arena.

The bottom line is though when Bennett bought the Sonics he owed the city of Seattle, the fans nothing, it was his money and his team. Sonics fans had no right to be mad at him just like Kings fans can't be mad at the Maloofs, its not personal just business.