Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Wolves announcers just said Love's stats are empty....

Quote Originally Posted by mshahidz
    example: Providing poor defence, giving someone an open shot or too much room so you can chase a rebound.
    That's pathetic logic. I highly doubt Klove sits there and thinks "Im just gonna let him shoot so i can stat pad another rebound". He's a professional not a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    How can stats be empty he still puts up the stats. Like they were physically done by him. Whats the differnce between an "empty" 25/12 on 47% shooting versus a "non-empty" 25/12 on 47% shooting. They're still doing the same thing

Not really. The way you score is important, as is when you score. Dominating the high and low post opens up the court more than hitting 3's and midrange jumpers. Racking up 25 points in Q 1-3 isn't the same as scoring 12 in the 4th. Bigmen that tend to play around the paint also draw more fouls, and as stated earlier, create more opportunities for their teammates.

Also, offensive stats don't reflect a players defensive impact on the game (obviously). When you tell me the PF/C dropped 35/15 on 47%, my response is, "how much did they win by?". However, you have PF/C's like Love and Griffin who post gaudy stat lines, but those stats don't necessarily translate to W's. I'm not trying to pick on these players, because they are great offensive players... but that's where their impact ends, and it should be noted.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    That's pathetic logic. I highly doubt Klove sits there and thinks "Im just gonna let him shoot so i can stat pad another rebound". He's a professional not a little kid.
    I was exaggerating, but he really is not a great defender.
    When you see a player putting up 15 rebounds, you think he's a great defender but its not that case with Love. I think thats what people mean when they say "empty" stats.

Furthermore, how you score is more important...are you there in crunch time? are you putting pressure on the defence and getting them in foul trouble?
    I feel that Zbo has more of an "impact" on his team's success than Love.
    Last edited by mshahidz; 11-25-2012 at 04:47 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I wouldn't call them empty, but they certainly don't reflect his actual impact on the game. For example, if Duncan or KG post something like 25/12, their team is probably winning the game, because those players also server as defensive anchors. Love, on the other hand, is a defensive liability. So, he may post impressive scoring and rebounding numbers, but those stats alone don't make him a top tier player. Same goes for a player like Blake Griffin.
    When Dirk posts 25/12 they usually win, too. He

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

It gets annoying.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Kevin Love is similar to Blake Griffin, terrible defender, gets attention from flashy things (high numbers or nice dunks). Does not impact the game in the slightest.

Decent college freshman

It was the Warriors commentators that said that and you are paraphrasing. They said that Rubio has a bigger impact on the team than Love does as was shown last season.

They have a point. As good as Love is there are few players that can do what Rubio can do.

Decent playground baller nbarumorz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Kevin Love is similar to Blake Griffin, terrible defender, gets attention from flashy things (high numbers or nice dunks). Does not impact the game in the slightest.

never really though of love as a good dunker. Silly to say he doesn't impact the game in the slightest though, he swallows up boards and can score efficiently.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

I honestly believe that the Wolves will have a much better looking offense when Rubio returns. He isnt a legendary PG or anything, but he does seem to have a good ability to run an offense in an efficient manner that puts players where they really need to be. I see AK47 getting slightly better numbers for instance under Rubio. Love will still post his usual, but his number will be more effective as he won't have to fight so hard to get his. He will be more willing to help more on defense or in getting into the post to score.

Kevin Love not only has empty stats and stat pads like no one else, he's also a horrid defender.

Really overrated player.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I think Griffin has improved considerably his defense this year, lets see if Love can do the same.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    I think Griffin has improved considerably his defense this year, lets see if Love can do the same.
    Dirk did, I don't see why he couldn't. He's athletic enough and seems to have a gas tank for days at times. So I absolutely believe it is possible for him to become at least a non-liability on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I wouldn't call them empty, but they certainly don't reflect his actual impact on the game. For example, if Duncan or KG post something like 25/12, their team is probably winning the game, because those players also server as defensive anchors. Love, on the other hand, is a defensive liability. So, he may post impressive scoring and rebounding numbers, but those stats alone don't make him a top tier player. Same goes for a player like Blake Griffin.
    Griffin is slowly starting to play defense, much improved from previous seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaeI357Rqi4

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mshahidz
    example: Providing poor defence, giving someone an open shot or too much room so you can chase a rebound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuIosnLpmvo&feature=fvst

Look at his piss poor defence half the time.
    Now that particular game was KG out to make a defining statement about who is who in the NBA.

But I get what you mean on this too. It's like how can a guy be so far out of position. And if there's an area of the game that Love needs work, it's defense.

I wonder what Adelman is doing about defensive rotations, but just as important is the scoring the Wolves have put up - only 1 game over 100 so far in the season.
    And a ton of games where they can only get into the 80s.

When you look at their games you see that the T Wolves really are losing in just one facet of the game: 3 ball.

Team Averages
    FG% 0.423 - Opponent 0.435
    3p% 0.277 - opponent 0.35
    FT% 0.727 - .769
    RPG 43.42 - opponent 41.17
    APG 20.9 - opponent 18.6
    SPG 8.00 - opponent 6.33
    BPG 6.75 - opponent 5.58
    TO 15.00 - opponent 14.5
    PF19.25 - opponent 23.67
    PPG 91.7 - opponent 92.8

Now I'm not comparing K Love to these players. But these are some of the guys I have heard people say, early in their careers they have "empty stats."
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob McAdoo, Paul Pierce, Michael Jordan, Norm Nixon, Wilt Chamberlain, Bernard King, Kobe Bryant.

There's a lot more to it than that.