Home of the 16

Question Need your HELP/OPINION for this Diagram on DEFENSE.

So there's a basketball community league to where I used to live in the Philippines. & since I can't make it this time, I drew a diagram on how to contain this varsity player guy that is well known for his mean drive. & I need your opinion on this whether if I'm correct or not. & my best friend there is supposed to be the captain of the team, & I sent him these pictures on how to contain the guy.

Note: Back when I played with them, 50-40% of the time I was guarding him & this was my plan for him & it worked 85% of the time.

They're always running the 2-3 zone defense (No 3 seconds violation).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. This picture shows where I want him to make this guy DRIVE. Since they can easily trap him in the baseline & that will force him to take an uncomfortable shot or kick out.

2. This is where I don't want him to drive.

3. The purple line shows how his body is supposed to be while the guy is driving to the lane. I want him to cut him off & not chase him giving him that momentum & & not give him the ability to use/establish his pivot foot, because once he sets left leg (2a) as his pivot foot, he can easily spin to the baseline & lay it in. So I want him to get back into that weird angle if the guy gets stuck while driving to the lane. DOUBLE TEAM IF NEEDED. If he decides to kick it out to the 3, the second defender should get back to his original position & challenge the shot.

Additional notes: KEEP HIM OUT OF THE BOX.

If he cannot keep up with the guy when driving to the lane, should the second defender help? They're always running 2-3 zone like I said.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 12-12-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Home of the 16

Default Re: Need your HELP/OPINION for this Diagram on DEFENSE.

Note That This Guy Is A Righty.

Sort of hard for me to offer advice without knowing more about both teams and the tendencies of their opponent, when he drives is everyone camping out on the perimeter? Of course size, speed and talent are important factors. What you definitely want to do is force him to drive in a direction away from their best % shooter, this forces either a difficult cross court pass and allows a ball side defender to cheat and help a bit. What I have done many times is get the drive happy player to commit to beating his man, force him into our center to handle him while the initial defender bails to cut off the ball side passing lane.....hard to really tell you how to play everything out without seeing it firsthand. One thing I strongly believe in is if a guy is a real problem, you have to do everything in your power to keep the ball out of his hands aka "Ball Denial" this takes an aggressive defender and strong rotations. Back in the day, this is what Michael Cooper successfully did against Larry Bird. My teams destroy all the top point guards by forcing them to give up the ball and never letting them get it back, thus forcing someone else to be the playmaker and this completely disrupts their offense.

As I said, given the limited information, this is about all I can tell you.

Banned

I'm not going to bother looking at these diagrams, but if the guy is a righty simply force him to his weak hand. As the defender go on the offensive. Always be on the offensive dictating what you want him to do so you can anticpate. If your always playing the reacting game and letting him dictate what you do he'll always beat you.

Unless your playing at a very high level it is incredibly rare for a guy to be equally skilled with both hands so take my advice.

Will he have capable shooters to kick out to? Like guys who are 85%+ when catch and shooting a 3

Home of the 16

They can shoot 3's, but not at a high level.

The next thing they're worried about out are the drop passes/backdoor cuts/cutters when he drives to the lane. The varsity player & their PG are so good at that. They both have the same skill sets, both can shoot, 1 is just bigger than the other.

I've stopped their point guard like 4 years ago, though, I had to make him uncomfortable by blocking 4 or 5 of his shots & stopped most of his drop passes. Basically took him out of his game spiritually, lol. Unfortunately, we lost the game, I became their scoring option because my best friend had to attend some family occasion & missed the whole game. They started calling me Ben Wallace after that game, it felt so good. haha

I really want to go home & play with them right now It's killing me... fml.

@DK, sorry, he hasn't responded yet.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Well, thats pretty obvious. You always keep the guy out of the middle, and make them go to the baseline.No questions. Elementary shit right there. Whoever draw those is correct. It doesnt matter if the guy is lefty, righty, or both, or none, just keep him out of the middle penetration. Period.

Home of the 16

Like I said, I need people's opinion for this, & I thank you for that.

Pros - Less % shot.
    Cons - Leaves the middle wide open prone for backdoor's.