2 Lanier
    3 Thompson
    4 Moncrief
    5 Monroe
    6 Zo
    7 Dumars
    8 Sharman
    9 Dantley
    Its tough imo.... they all deserve to be around here, i am just reaching my hand in that bag and whatever name pops up i am voting for...

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Default Re: #71 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Mitch Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    I think sometimes the good ole fashioned eyeball test is used.

T-Mac was simply a better and more dynamic player. Career success is partially rooted in luck. Vince has never made an All-NBA 1st Team (T-Mac did twice), and T-Mac has never flat-out disappeared on his team in the playoffs the way Vince has on a couple of occasions.
    I already stated that peak Tmac was obviously better. But, I don't think there's a ton of difference between, say, 2003 Tmac and 2001 Vince Carter.

These rankings are completely subjective and the criteria seems to change with each pick. Yeah, Tmac had a few seasons that are better than anything Vince did, but at their peaks neither one of them had a really great team around them and you could argue that Vince at least did more with those early 2000 Raptors than Tmac did with the early 2000 Magic. Even when Tmac had a decent Rockets squad he was unable to achieve any kind of playoff success. I think it can go either way really as to who you rank higher, the point is I believe they're in the same tier so whoever you rank first, the other shouldn't be far behind.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I already stated that peak Tmac was obviously better. But, I don't think there's a ton of difference between, say, 2003 Tmac and 2001 Vince Carter.

These rankings are completely subjective and the criteria seems to change with each pick. Yeah, Tmac had a few seasons that are better than anything Vince did, but at their peaks neither one of them had a really great team around them and you could argue that Vince at least did more with those early 2000 Raptors than Tmac did with the early 2000 Magic. Even when Tmac had a decent Rockets squad he was unable to achieve any kind of playoff success. I think it can go either way really as to who you rank higher, the point is I believe they're in the same tier so whoever you rank first, the other shouldn't be far behind.
    Neither the 2000 Raptors or 2000 Magic teams were good at all, but Vince at least had the benefit of an inside presence. Antonio Davis gave him that double double and 2 blocks per game. T-Mac had no interior whatsoever in Orlando, but I think he would have been better served staying there rather than going to Houston because of the unexpected re-emergence of Grant Hill and acquisition of Dwight Howard.

Houston was a decent squad, but T-Mac and Yao were still a star-crossed duo. Whenever T-Mac was on and firing, Yao was lagging a bit behind because of injuries, fatigue, etc. (2005 & 2008 Playoffs) and vice versa (2007 Playoffs). So, faulting T-Mac for his shortcomings in Houston in favor of propping up Vince doesn't work since Vince still had to deal with a weaker conference.

T-Mac continues to be one of the most misunderstood and unfairly maligned great players out there. I know people hate "excuses", but there really are a lot of intricacies of bad luck that held back his career.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Neither the 2000 Raptors or 2000 Magic teams were good at all, but Vince at least had the benefit of an inside presence. Antonio Davis gave him that double double and 2 blocks per game. T-Mac had no interior whatsoever in Orlando, but I think he would have been better served staying there rather than going to Houston because of the unexpected re-emergence of Grant Hill and acquisition of Dwight Howard.

Houston was a decent squad, but T-Mac and Yao were still a star-crossed duo. Whenever T-Mac was on and firing, Yao was lagging a bit behind because of injuries, fatigue, etc. (2005 & 2008 Playoffs) and vice versa (2007 Playoffs). So, faulting T-Mac for his shortcomings in Houston in favor of propping up Vince doesn't work since Vince still had to deal with a weaker conference.

T-Mac continues to be one of the most misunderstood and unfairly maligned great players out there. I know people hate "excuses", but there really are a lot of intricacies of bad luck that held back his career.
    That's a fair analysis, but pay attention to my final point. No matter where you rank these guys, they're close in the all-time rankings. That's all I'm saying... I haven't made a case to say that Vince should be ranker higher, only that they're more or less on the same tier. I'm fully aware that the comparison isn't apples to apples in terms of how their careers panned out, and injuries limited both guys to varying degrees. I believe that Houston team had potential but like you said, Tmac and Yao were never on the court long enough( in health) to be able to establish anything. Those are the breaks, unfortunately.