Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default The Clippers should move Blake Griffin..

This current Clippers team isn't winning any championships with its current roster. They've got some solid pieces and one of if not the best point guard in the entire league and they should focus on building around Chris Paul, and IMO Blake is not the guy to do it.

Grffin is a good, exciting young player but you are not going to be winning any championships with him as your second option. Griffin is not a guy you can depend on for points in the paint during crucial moments or a guy you can rely on to get his and create his own shot in the post during the playoffs. His stats are nice but they can be misleading, they are empty in a lot of aspects & Blake Griffin's sucess does not always equal Clippers sucess aswell.

Also, Blake Griffins trade value is probrably one of the highest in the league due to his outstanding popularity. The value that he actually brings to a team isn't ANYWHERE near his current market value, this would allow the Clippers to bring in an outstanding amount of pieces.

I'm sure there are a number of teams that would be willing to overpay for BG & give up a lot of talent in order to get him. He will put buts in the seats, i could see a team like Atlanta jumping all over a chance to bring in BG.

The Clippers would be better suited to bring in a guy who fits in better with CP3 & is also defensive minded. J Smoove comes to mind, and with Griffins trade value the Clippers would easily be able to attain a draft pick and some other solid role players to place around Cp3 if they were to trade Griffin.
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 11-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default Re: The Clippers should move Blake Griffin..

Clips probably more concerned with selling tix and putting out an exciting product than winning championships

and for that end Blake Griffin is perfect

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Blake Griffin is the franchise player so no he shouldn't be traded. He's slowly getting more aggressive again and last night put up 22, 11 and 7 in limited minutes. Nobody knows how good he will be so it would be stupid to trade him. If I had to choose between Griffin and CP3 I'd hold onto Griffin due to age, him being maxed for 6 more years, upside and him being a big. Not to mention he's more profitable for the franchise as you guys pointed out.

If the Clippers are going to trade one of their stars I'd be looking to move CP3 first if by the all star break he's still this passive and not using Blake enough. I mean this business of Blake scoring 20 in the first half of games and getting almost no touches in the 2nd half? That's all on CP3.

This was supposed to be one of the most potent PNR duos in NBA history yet they don't even run PNR anymore. I bet you Rondo, Irving or Rose would kill to play with Blake Griffin and the other pieces we have. Not sure why CP3 isn't meshing with Blake but I feel like he's trying way too hard to turn Blake into his old running mate David West and making him shoot jumpers... instead of feeding him on lobs and dunks.

Banned

Griffin was better when he was allowed to dribble the ball anywhere on the court (what I mean is before CP3)

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    Griffin was better when he was allowed to dribble the ball anywhere on the court (what I mean is before CP3)
    I think CP3's ball dominance isn't a good fit for a big like Griffin who's good at handling the ball. Basically Griffin's options are catch and shoot, or catch in paint and immediately create with 3-4 seconds left on the clock because CP3 holds the ball for 20+ seconds most the time.

Like I said... CP3 is trying to turn Blake into David West 2.0 and that's not his game.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Blake Griffin is the franchise player so no he shouldn't be traded. He's slowly getting more aggressive again and last night put up 22, 11 and 7 in limited minutes. Nobody knows how good he will be so it would be stupid to trade him. If I had to choose between Griffin and CP3 I'd hold onto Griffin due to age, him being maxed for 6 more years, upside and him being a big. Not to mention he's more profitable for the franchise as you guys pointed out.

If the Clippers are going to trade one of their stars I'd be looking to move CP3 first if by the all star break he's still this passive and not using Blake enough. I mean this business of Blake scoring 20 in the first half of games and getting almost no touches in the 2nd half? That's all on CP3.

This was supposed to be one of the most potent PNR duos in NBA history yet they don't even run PNR anymore. I bet you Rondo, Irving or Rose would kill to play with Blake Griffin and the other pieces we have. Not sure why CP3 isn't meshing with Blake but I feel like he's trying way too hard to turn Blake into his old running mate David West and making him shoot jumpers... instead of feeding him on lobs and dunks.

Chris Paul is a proven All star / All pro in the league, that's a rare thing and you don't choose an unproven big man who's declined in each of his 3 years in the league over that.

I'm not sure there 1 GM who would take Griffin over CP3, i'm positive there is not. cp3 has proven time & time again that he can lead a team into the playoffs, Griffin has not.

And i don't think anybody ever really expected this to be one of the best pnr combo's of all time? Griffin had only 1 year of playing before cp3 came to town.. it's not like he was some proven top 10 player in the league by that time.

Besides, if you're a free agent who isn't a point guard are you really going to choose to go to the team led by Blake Griffin or the team led by Chris Paul?

I wonder if we poll'd Lebron, Durant, Kobe, and the other top players if they'd rather play with Paul or Griffin..

CP3 can attract other free agents, cp3 is a proven player in this league and the best pg playing right now, you act like bringing in a lesser player to play pg will make the clippers better?

Blake Grffin is the one who needs to adjust his game for cp3 b/c guess what? when BG was doing his own thing & getting stats the clippers were a joke, but with cp3 at the point they clips are a legit playoff team. Cp3 is a proven all NBA player, he's the best pg in the league and if he thinks ignoring Griffin is what is best for the team, then he's probrably right.
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 11-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Blake only been hooping for 2 years. U think he was going to lead The Clippers to the championship by then??

And there are plenty of GMs that would pick Blake over paul since Blake is a rare player and his defense improved big time from last year.... At least to me.

Every team in the NBA has a great PG it seems. Its not like CP3 won 3 championships already.bl
    Last edited by Bigsmoke; 11-25-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen

Chris Paul is a proven All star / All pro in the league, that's a rare thing and you don't choose an unproven big man who's declined in each of his 3 years in the league over that.

I'm not sure there 1 GM who would take Griffin over CP3, i'm positive there is not. cp3 has proven time & time again that he can lead a team into the playoffs, Griffin has not.
    I already gave the reasons. Griffin has missed 0 games in his career outside of that initial lost season. CP3 misses 10+ games most seasons and his conditioning level isn't going to change that any time soon.

I think Griffin is one of the most untradable pieces in the NBA due to age, marketability, upside, current production and would be more valued than CP3 for those reasons. CP3 is clearly the better player but due to age, health, contract situation etc I disagree that every GM would take him.

BTW it's a HUGE myth and blatant lie to say Blake has declined all 3 years.

Year 1: Had far less talent around him. Took way more shots, got way more touches and got way more time handling the ball. Was a horrendous defender.

Year 2: Added a top 5 player to his team and tons of other talent. His shot attempts, touches, usage rates were all way down but his raw numbers weren't much worse. His defense went from terrible to solid, his shot improved and his post game became a bit more refined. His efficiency and advanced stats were much improved. PER jumped a full 2 points and he led the NBA in on and off court differential (better than CP3).

Year 3: He started off the year banged up with 2-3 injuries but is finally starting to come around. He's now had 3 20/10/5 games in low minutes and his defense is tremendously improved, shot from midrange tremendously improved and free throw shooting is a career high right now. In otherwords skill set wise Griffin is easily better this year than his previous two years but due to less shots, being a bit more passive and not much cohesion with CP3 it would appear to the average onlooker that he's declined.

CP3 is the main reason why this team is good. Just look at the Clippers' record with CP3 as the main man, as opposed to Griffin as the main man.

CP3 makes things happen. Griffin doesn't.

You just don't like CP3 cause he's taking minutes from your beloved Bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Blake only been hooping for 2 years. U think he was going to lead The Clippers to the championship by then?? bl
    Exactly. Makes me laugh when people say things like "He proved he couldn't do it by himself and needed a star to carry him". So he got his one rookie year where the team had tons of new players, was decimated by injuries... to turn the franchise around before being labeled a low impact, overrated player? The team got CP3+other talent the very next year and somehow Griffin is being perceived as a nobody without CP3?

I still think if Griffin had kept developing as THE man on this team without CP3 they would have made the playoffs last year. First round exit and 7-8 seed at best for sure... but at least in the playoffs with Griffin's development full steam ahead.

I think this is the best roster Clipps FO could have gotten together from a practical standpoint (minus Odom's signing) since drafting BG. If this core does not win the title or WCF then it's not cause their FO didn't make the necessary moves, the NBA Championship club is an exclusive place for a reason.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Patience with Griffin. He could become the guy. Griffin improved on his jump shot and defense, but he needs the ball in the 4th and needs to be more aggressive.

CP3 has more of an impact than Griffin, but Griffin could get there.

I don't think the Clippers will get far unless Griffin gets better than what he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiantastic
    CP3 is the main reason why this team is good. Just look at the Clippers' record with CP3 as the main man, as opposed to Griffin as the main man.

CP3 makes things happen. Griffin doesn't.

You just don't like CP3 cause he's taking minutes from your beloved Bledsoe.
    Again Griffin has more expectations than any player in NBA history from some people. He didn't turn the team around in his rookie year, therefor somehow proved he CAN NEVER be that guy. . BTW I love Bledsoe but quite frankly you have zero clue what you're talking about. My argument has been for Bledsoe to start at the 2 WITH CP3 not at the 1, so pull your head out of your ass.

Until CP3 signs a max deal he's a rental in my eyes. I haven't let myself get too attached for obvious reasons. I think he will sign but unless he learns to use his teammates more efficiently I'm wondering if it's a good idea to max him for 21 mill a year. Remember before CP3 got here Blake changed the franchise. Players including CP3 started wanting to come here to play with BLAKE.

People act like CP3 made this franchise but Griffin is the true franchise changer and catalyst. I have no doubt that within 3 years without CP3 Griffin would have been able to carry this team to the playoffs. Having two superstars in the future potential is HUGE and neither will go far doing it alone but people need to stop disrespecting Griffin and acting like CP3 came in and made this team. Clippers added a ton more than CP3 last year.

If Clippers for example let CP3+Odom plus pieces like Hollins walk... and let's say Grant Hill retires? They can afford two borderline all star types. Monta Ellis+Paul Pierce for example would both be available and affordable for the Clippers.

Bledsoe
    Ellis
    Pierce
    Griffin
    Jordan

Is this not a very capable team still? Ellis+Griffin would be a very sick duo IMO and Bledsoe+Griffin mesh better than CP3+Griffin due to Bledsoe's ability to generate fastbreaks with steals and defense.. and Bledsoe also is way more willing to throw Blake lobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Patience with Griffin. He could become the guy. Griffin improved on his jump shot and defense, but he needs the ball in the 4th and needs to be more aggressive.

CP3 has more of an impact than Griffin, but Griffin could get there.

I don't think the Clippers will get far unless Griffin gets better than what he is now.
    Jamal is my man but dude shouldn't be their leading scorer.

Let the stars go to work.