Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    High School Starter

Default Re: Carmelo's offensive arsenal is the greatest the NBA has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LosScandalous
    Like I said, he's spent years perfecting his talent and he's going to continue to improve. His talent didn't just fall in his hands like a lot of guys.

He's a student of the game, gotta respect his variety.
    Having a variety of mediocre options does not equal greatness

Local High School Star thabisyo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Dogg
    As a huge Knicks fan, I must say Carmelo is one of the most one-dimensional scorers in the NBA. He runs iso all day and always forces the jump shot. He's great at it, but it's basically all he does. Last season during the playoffs he was shut down hard, shooting barely 30% from the field most games. He's not the greatest offensive NBA talent by a long shot.
    He does not just iso (but he still is one of the best ISO at the top of the key guys in the league) he is one of the best at making sure he uses his weapons.

his tendacies last year were 23.9% iso, 18% other, 8.6% transition, 16.2% spot up, 17.4% post up, 10.5 P&R and when he does force shots can people stop it?

He was tired in the playoffs from carrying the knicks. Bargnani is in town now he has a real 3rd option scorer unlike that chucker Felton.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He has way too many games needing 25 to 35 shots to score over 30 for me to care how talented he might be. Even if he had the best ever.....and he doesn't.....his skillset is irrelevant when the shots don't go in.

And nobody has been a more skilled scorer than Kobe in a long time anyway. And as a straight up offensive player? Melo has nothing on Steve Nash.

He's well rounded....but he could use it much better than he does.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Melo is certainly not the most efficient offensive player and nor is he the most diverse or possessing the most varied repertoir, that honor goes to Kobe.

So I see no dimensions by which Melo is the best offensive player. Guy is horribly overrated because he plays in NY and has that thuggish image

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    according to who? and who else has that variety right now outside of Kobe? nobody

Also for a guy that shoots 83% from the line, 45%fg and 38% from downtown..... Melo's "inefficiency" is stretched big time, especially when you consider how much he has to carry the Knicks.

Lol wut? Sweet J but sucks at finishing at the rim

Have you heard bout a guy called Mike? He was aiiiiight

Almost everytime I watch him play he does pull ups and turn arounds from the post, which unless he's hot misses at a high rate. I think his arsenal is highly overrated. I'd rather have James' ugly but effective bulldozing than Melo's "beautiful" turnaround misses.

Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Almost everytime I watch him play he does pull ups and turn arounds from the post, which unless he's hot misses at a high rate. I think his arsenal is highly overrated. I'd rather have James' ugly but effective bulldozing than Melo's "beautiful" turnaround misses.
    especially Melo's offense in the playoffs is lacking...

1) Jordan
    2) What's his playoff record again?
    3)

When you think about the 3 best post up perimeter players of all time, these names pop up...

Jordan
    Kobe
    and Carmelo
    Hard to include Carmelo when he has games 9-23. Sure Melo has a nice post up game and no one questions that. But he doesnt utilize it to his advantage often and bails out defenses by jacking jumpers. Sure its lovely when they go in but when they miss over and over. I just dont think Carmelo puts together an offensive feast display properly.

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Irrelevant picture.

Elite level finisher at the rim
    Is this a joke?

Last season, Melo shot .537 AT THE RIM and .477 on LAYUPS. How do you convert on less than 50% of your layups? In the playoffs, I'm sure he converted on less than 50% of his shots at the rim and less than 30% of layups.

Tony Allen, widely considered to be the worst finisher of the league, managed .569 at the rim and .524 on layups.

Compare that to James' .756 at the rim and .676 on layups. That is an 'elite finisher at the rim'.

Durant - .738 at the rim and .608 on layups.

Even 34 year old Kobe managed .693 at the rim and .635 on layups.

These are the perimeter scorers Melo is compared to. I know this is a troll thread, but Melo is an atrocious finisher at the rim. He is a good range shooter, but he does not have the best offensive arsenal in the NBA with respect to shooting. Even now - that belongs to Durant. And, lord, it's beyond an insult to compare him to the greats of the past.

When defenses keyed in on him in the playoffs, he was awful. He routinely shot his team out of games and played no part in 'ball movement'. People need to go revisit the playoff run he had.

I would take Paul George over Melo. The difference in defense between the two offsets the difference in offense where Melo is completely overrated imo. Sorry, he's a top 10 player in the league, but I don't want Melo on my team.

Top 10 in game superstar dunkers of all time too.
    When you think about the 3 best post up perimeter players of all time, these names pop up...

Jordan
    Kobe
    and Carmelo
    His face-up one drible turnaround jumper is smooth but his face-up drive is hands down the greatest ever.
    He has every offensive attack in the book and has spent his entire life perfecting them. He hasn't even peaked yet.