Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pre-3pt era players great at making the long 2? Who had 3pt range?

I thought it might be a good reference if we can put together two lists.

Long 2 Range
    Tiny Archibald
    Elgin Baylor
    Bill Bradley
    Wilt Chamberlain (young)
    Dave Cowens
    Dave DeBusschere
    Ernie DiGregorio
    Julius Erving
    Walt Frazier
    Joe Fulks
    Hal Greer
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Lou Hudson
    Dan Issel
    Sam Jones
    Bob McAdoo
    Bobby McDermott
    Jim McMillian
    Calvin Murphy
    Bob Pettit
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    Dolph Schayes
    David Thompson
    Nate Thurmond?
    Norm Van Lier
    Chet Walker
    Jo Jo White
    George Yardley

3-Point Range
    Rick Barry
    Freddie Brown
    Phil Chenier
    Louie Dampier
    Terry Duerod*
    Chris Ford
    Gail Goodrich
    Jerry Lucas
    Pete Maravich
    Jon McGocklin
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    Andrew Toney*
    Jerry West
    Brian Winters

Note: You guys can also mention players from the first few years after the 3 was introduced, prior to its becoming a weapon (listed with an *).
    Last edited by fpliii; 11-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: Pre-3pt era players great at making the long 2? Who had 3pt range?

wilt chamberlain use to shoot 40 footers when he was wide open

If you dunk it jumping from outside the 3pt line does it count as a 3pointer or a 2 pointer?

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bella
    If you dunk it jumping from outside the 3pt line does it count as a 3pointer or a 2 pointer?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bella
    Would count as a 3. Wilt got robbed of so many points because unfortunately there was no 3pt line when he was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Would count as a 3. Wilt got robbed of so many points because unfortunately there was no 3pt line when he was doing it.
    Exactly, a shame really. If the 3pt line existed he would probably have tried dunking from that range more so a safe bet is that RAy Allen and Kobe would not be record holders today.

Rick Barry, Jerry Lucas for sure were 3 point range.

Long-2's Jerry West, Bob Pettit... heck I'm inclined to mention pretty much anyone that wasn't a center - most of the guys who had a jump shot I have footage shooting from the corner which is a modern NBA 3 as it is. What exactly constitutes guys you'd define as having long-2 vs 3 point range, the consistency with which they take shots? Cause even Nate Thurmond hits a 'modern 3 point range' shot in one clip I have of him though I'm pretty sure he never did it often lol

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

McAdoo for the long 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Rick Barry, Jerry Lucas for sure were 3 point range.

Long-2's Jerry West, Bob Pettit... heck I'm inclined to mention pretty much anyone that wasn't a center - most of the guys who had a jump shot I have footage shooting from the corner which is a modern NBA 3 as it is. What exactly constitutes guys you'd define as having long-2 vs 3 point range, the consistency with which they take shots? Cause even Nate Thurmond hits a 'modern 3 point range' shot in one clip I have of him though I'm pretty sure he never did it often lol
    Well, I was thinking it'd have to be a weapon, or at least something they could hit reliably when open. But yeah, I'll add the guys you've mentioned.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    wilt chamberlain use to shoot 40 footers when he was wide open

sarcasm?

I never watched wilt but decided to just google his FT%

Regular season 0.511
    Playoffs 0.465

Doesnt seem like a great shooter.

Long 2 Range
    Bob McAdoo (amazing shooter at his best, one of the best ever at shooting with a man in his mug)

Calvin Murphy (one of the most underrated players ever, shortest NBA-player in the HoF, just a terrific shooter with range.. could shoot the 3 with his feet set, as the line was introduced in his final years)

Lou Hudson

Tiny Archibald

Bob Pettit

Hal Greer

Jo Jo White

you can also include Oscar Robertson (was shooting more mid 2s than long 2s but he could do it), even Sam Jones and Willis Reed

3-Point Range
    Pete Maravich (call it 4-point range lol.. played a year with the line, as a shell, shot 15 and made 10)

Rick Barry (never quite adjusted to the line in the ABA though)

Jerry West

Fred Brown (didn't call him Dowtown for nothing, 3-point line was introduced when he was past his prime but still managed to have some pretty good 3-pt shooting seasons, like in 1980 he made 39 and shot 88)

Chris Ford (line introduced in his last years, had some good 3-pt shooting seasons, in 1980 took 164 and made 70)

Brian Winters

Jerry Lucas

Also Gail Goodrich and Phil Chenier

3 point range - Pete Maravich, Fred Brown
    Long 2 - John Havlicek

College superstar

What about Bill Sharman? For some reason, I think of him as a shooter.

Dolph Schayes was also a big man who had at least long 2-point range, partially responsible for his low (esp.for a big man) FG shooting.

Note: You guys can also mention players from the first few years after the 3 was introduced, prior to its becoming a weapon.