Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Rifles make up 4% of gun homicides...Handguns make up 72%

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    full auto is completely illegal...

and yeah, another problem the US public has is not understanding that assault rifles aren't really any different than hunting rifles, they just have a clip.

The US public just thinks they look mean and scary and thus should be eliminated...not knowing there is no difference

"hey look at that, it is black and fancy looking like a machine gun, no one should have that!"
    I keep seeing people say that, but I'm not sure how true it is? I think the only confusion is over the terms assault rifle and assault weapon. But part of the criticism of assault weapons is that they have that extended clip. Is that really necessary? How many hunters need to unload 20 or 30 rounds into a deer?

I just read this too about a gun buy back program in NJ.

http://rt.com/usa/news/gun-buyback-program-weapons-031/

They actually had so many guns brought to them that they ran out of money. Even though it is expensive, this could be the best way to get guns off the street (700 turned in were not legally purchased guns). Especially in the current economic climate.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

^^^ and the vast majority of those handgun deaths, not assault rifles

should also be noted that gun deaths have been on the decline for over 20 years now and continue to drop.

school shootings combined with the media makes everything look crazy and out of control, but the US is doing much better in terms of gun violence than it was just 20 years ago.

Im curious to see what the mortality rate is on a handgun vs rifle. Meaning which one would a person have a better chance of surviving.

Made that high school varsity squad MJ23forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Im curious to see what the mortality rate is on a handgun vs rifle. Meaning which one would a person have a better chance of surviving.
    you mean after being shot?

obviously most rifles would cause much more damage than most handguns...

you mean after being shot?

obviously most rifles would cause much more damage than most handguns...
    Right. But statisticly, how many people have survived being shot by a rifle as opposed to a handgun. I know alot of people that have survived being shot by a handgun. Even in the head. I know one person that was shot with a rifle, and he died.

So my point is if 10 people were shot by rifles and 9 of them died, and 1000 people are shot by handguns with 100 of them dying, which is more dangerous? You're talking about a 90% mortality rate for rifles and a 10% rate for handguns.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 01-31-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Right. But statisticly, how many people have survived being shot by a rifle as opposed to a handgun. I know alot of people that have survived being shot by a handgun. Even in the chect and head. I know one person that was shot with a rifle, and he died.

[COLOR="Red"]So my point is if 10 people were shot by rifles and 9 of them died, and 1000 people are shot by handguns with 100 of them dying, which is more dangerous?[/COLOR] You're talking about a 90% mortality rate for rifles and a 10% rate for handguns.
    the handguns are more dangerous...they are doing much more damage

You bring up a good point in that these stats only account for deaths and not the thousands of injured and handicapped people that are that way because of surviving a handgun bullet.

I didn't go through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone brought this up, but what did you expect when you looked for this stat? I mean you don't live in a war zone so obviously the civilians' weapon of choice to do their crime/killing/protecting would be a handgun. Unless your purpose is the more peaceful practice of hunting game, or the more violent intention of going on a killing rampage, you use a handgun.

As long as everyone plays the 'I have no common sense' game you will keep sounding like jackasses and making circular arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I didn't go through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone brought this up, but what did you expect when you looked for this stat? [COLOR="Red"]I mean you don't live in a war zone so obviously the civilians' weapon of choice to do their crime/killing/protecting would be a handgun.[/COLOR] Unless your purpose is the more peaceful practice of hunting game, or the more violent intention of going on a killing rampage, you use a handgun.
    exactly...yet all of our focus remains on assault rifles for some reason...handguns get no attention

IE. if you brought up aids or knives or cars or fists or some other dumb shit in your argument about guns you are a jackass. I dont need to explain why, use your common sense. Assault rifles should be banned first if anything gets banned because IT IS LOGICAL. Nothing more nothing lesss.. what happenes next happens after the FIRST LOGICAL STEP. So please keep bringing up arbitrary associations with bull shit and you will continue being an asshole

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    IE. if you brought up aids or knives or cars or fists or some other dumb shit in your argument about guns you are a jackass. I dont need to explain why, use your common sense. Assault rifles should be banned first if anything gets banned because IT IS LOGICAL. Nothing more nothing lesss.. what happenes next happens after the FIRST LOGICAL STEP. So please keep bringing up arbitrary associations with bull shit and you will continue being an asshole
    sorry, it is illogical to first focus on the thing that does the least amount of damage...

that goes against logic

"hmm...handguns killed 6,000 people last year and assault rifles 18, but never mind those useless stats...ASSAULT RIFLES LOOK SCARY!!!"

sorry, it is illogical to first focus on the thing that does the least amount of damage...

that goes against logic
    So 1 assualt rifle can do less damage than 1 handgun?

thats logic? thats what you claim to base your argument on? some bullshit strawman argument?

As long as you ignore shit like that you cant be taken seriously.

You ban the most powerful thing and then go downwards.
    Last edited by OhNoTimNoSho; 01-31-2013 at 03:52 PM.