Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: would Bill Simmons be a great GM?

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    If Hollinger can get a job as GM, why not Simmons? Sure, some of his trade scenarios are a bit out there but you can't deny the man knows his basketball inside-out.
    Hollinger is much better GM candidate than Simmons. He is one of the pioneers of analytics and formulated the PER statistic

Simmons is kind of a shock jock, and more similar to Skip and SAS than Hollinger. They all share in common the trait of remembering their correct predictions and forgetting the times they were wrong, relatively quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    From 2011-13, Simmons' take on who the Cavs should draft (at the time of those drafts) with all those high picks would have resulted in this starting five heading into last season...

PG - Brandon Knight
    SG - Victor Oladipo
    SF - Derrick Williams
    PF - Thomas Robinson
    C - Who Cares

Simmons is awful when it comes to spotting/projecting talent in the draft. Suffice to say, he'd make the worst GM in NBA history.
    Meh, I don't really put much weight into that. His NBA Draft evaluations are probably done after watching 3 games of each player because he's just too busy to actually scout college basketball players. I think Simmons is a pretty good strategic thinker and has a good understanding of team dynamics which would be important traits in a GM.

Not saying he would be good but I think it'd be interesting and I could def see him succeeding.

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Hollinger is much better GM candidate than Simmons. He is one of the pioneers of analytics and formulated the PER statistic

Simmons is kind of a shock jock, and more similar to Skip and SAS than Hollinger. They all share in common the trait of remembering their correct predictions and forgetting the times they were wrong, relatively quickly.
    I don't think Simmons takes himself so seriously, ive heard him admit his mistakes plenty of time. He is a blatant homer, but he owns up to it, and so what, that is what sports is about

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Rhodes scholar? Google didn't turn anything up.
    If you haven't noticed already, everything he says is absolutely absurd and incorrect. He's an obvious troll.

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Way better than Chuck or Shaq would be.
    I'd take Chuck over Simmons. They'd both fail miserably (for different reasons), but at least with Chuck it would be entertaining. Simmons would be a big, bland bore.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Also Bill Simmons didn't like the Celtics-Nets trade (which turned out to be Ainge butt f*cking Billy King).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzx...el=nygbk3&hd=1
    he's emotional and doesn't have the ability to think ahead

that's why he would be so bad

College superstar

It's unlikely that he'd be a "great" GM, as a great GM is paid way more than Simmons is currently paid. As in... someone would have already made an offer, and he would have accepted.

That said, someone else voiced my thoughts, but essentially I think he could do well. He cares about chemistry and fit and the non-measurables. His approach is likely different than most, but that wouldn't make it wrong. The results may, though.

There's more to being a GM than just basketball knowledge too. You gotta be a smooth operator, you're dealing with players, coaches, agents and other GM's. I bet he'd get hosed in more than a few deals because he doesn't have any negotiating skills and people would know he's too emotional in his thinking.