Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Cleveland Cavaliers Edition

There's 48(?) or so threads on each page of the forum. Should I expect to see 30 Stickies once you're done?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

[COLOR="DarkRed"]THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

PG - Irving/Jack
    SG - Waiters/Miles/Karasev/Felix
    SF - Clark/Gee
    PF - Thompson/Bennett
    C - Bynum/Verajao/Zeller

Head Coach - Mike Brown
    General Manager - Chris Grant
    [/COLOR]

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.
    Future? Maybe. Kyrie is clearly a dynamite lead guard (such a lackluster defender though) and Bynum still has a ton of promise. I am not as sold on the rest of the roster, though they have a lot of young talent. But young talent doesnt always pan out, and we shouldnt assume they all reach their potential. Definitely shaping up to be a challenger to indy and the bulls in a couple of years.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.
    Probably, assuming they can get decent value for him. His market seems to be a veteran team that is looking for an extra bump by adding a versatile and smart defender who plays hard on both ends. What kind of assets is a team like the clips willing to give up for him though?

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.
    False. While there is some possibility of this happening, it would be nuts to base your coaching hire on such a tenuous future. It would make more sense to allow lebron to pick the coach if he came

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake.
    hard to really say. Im pretty high on him, but I understand some of the reasons experts were not as high. There was really no one in the draft (other than probably oladipo and noel) who I though was clearly better and oladipo is a small guard, their position of greatest strength.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season.
    True. If they dont, its a massively disappointing season for them. I think the final two spots come down to the wiz, pistons and cavs. While I hope the pistons make it, I wouldnt be surprised if they were the 9th team.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.
    False. Not a fan of zeller or clark really. Thompson is solid, bennett is a great unknown at this point. The griz are definitely deeper frontcourt and there are several others that I also think are both deeper and better.

BONUS 2. TRUE or FALSE: Dion Waiters will develop into a legit 2nd option.
    ah, I say false if we are talking about second option on a finals appearing team

Saw a basketball once TwentyThree's Avatar

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.
    True. It depends on how the young talent on the team will pan out, as well as Bynum's health, but I think this team is definitely shaping up to be a great team in a few years.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.
    False. If Bynum plays great then they should think about it, but it'll probably take a pretty good offer considering the fact that the organization loves him and that he's a great locker room presence, particularly with such a young team.

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.
    False. It may have been one of the reasons, but not the predominant one.

Too early to tell. I'm not a huge fan of the pick, because I'm not sure how he'll fit in the team, but we should allow him some time to show what he can do, particularly because the Cavs' draft picks the last 2 years were mostly good.

True. That's what I expect at least, but health could prevent it from happening.

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.

False. Grizzlies, Pacers and Bulls are better IMO.

True, but I think he'll be better suited with a 6th man role.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I'm only interested in moving Andy if the deal is worth it. His contract is really good considering his production, he's a great lockerroom guy and he's one of the few veterans on one of the youngest teams in the league. His motor, energy and work ethic are all good traits he can teach guys like Thompson, Bennett and Zeller. Hell, maybe even a little of that can rub off on Bynum.

The Cavs shouldn't be just moving him because it feels like the right thing to do and I don't think they will do that. He's beloved in Cleveland and the last remaining connection to those teams which won 60+ games, went to the ECF and Finals.

I'm not saying that a trade should be off the table. In fact, I'm all for it if it benefits the team longterm and the deal makes a lot of sense. However, I don't think with Andy coming off of two injured seasons that his market value is currently in a place where we'd get anything close to equal value back. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

NBA sixth man of the year

True. A young core of proven players in Kryie/Bynum/Waiters/Clark/Jack is pretty good and still has lots of potential.

False. They need Andy for his veteran leadership and his heart and hustle at the backup or starting Center position when Bynum gets injured.

False. I think that ship has sailed. It would be pretty pathetic for the Cavs to pursue Lebron in 2014 after what transpired between them. Bridges burnt.

True. I think they should have went with Porter at the SF.

True. And more than that, they'll likely surprise everyone. I think they might go as high as the 4 seed.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

True. If healthy though.

False. Bynum, when healthy, can be the legit 2nd option.

Lost in all these questions, I want to mention that Earl Clark will be their X-Factor, specifically against teams like Heat, Pacers and Nets who each have top 10 SFs. He needs to be able to compete well against them for the Cavs to have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    It would be pretty pathetic for the Cavs to pursue Lebron in 2014 after what transpired between them. Bridges burnt.
    ^^^What he said.

I don't think #1 is true until the Cavs grab a player that dramatically improve their team defensively. Great young offensive core but, with the young guys they have, I don't think they will be capable of playing championship caliber defense in 3-4 years when contending will be realistic.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
    Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
    Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
    Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
    Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413

Today's team?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

PG - Irving/Jack
    SG - Waiters/Miles/Karasev/Felix
    SF - Clark/Gee
    PF - Thompson/Bennett
    C - Bynum/Verajao/Zeller

Head Coach - Mike Brown
    General Manager - Chris Grant
    [/COLOR]

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Dallas Mavericks[/COLOR]. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Mavericks? Send me a PM with ideas.

1) I like this collection of talent, but I don't feel like this is a future title contender as it stands. The pieces just don't fit that well as I see it. I'm a Syracuse fan, and have a fondness for Waiters, but he's too ball dominant to be the ideal fit next to Irving. Bynum, if he's by miracle able to get back, is a bit of a clogger, and not really a great fit next to Waiters or Bennett who are get to the bucket types, and even limits Kyrie.
    There's a lot of talent, I just don't like the fit. And it would be nice if Irving could get through a season without missing time, even though it's often for minor stuff.

2) At this point, I'd try to keep Varajao. The window for me was last year, when he was playing as good as ever, and a contender could talk themselves into a two year window chasing titles. Now he's an expensive rental. And his skills and age limit the market to only real contenders. A bad team is only gonna look at him as a contract dump, meaning they'll want to load off a bad contract on the Cavs, which doesn't help them at all.
    If Jimmy Butler keeps progressing, and Snell starts out well on the wing, and Noah has continued foot issues, would you consider a swap of one year rentals of Varajoa for Deng? Because Andy would fit well with the Bulls defensive scheme and give them some much needed depth. While Deng would be a massive upgrade over Earl Clark, or anything else the Cavs could do at SF, and he's already accustomed to playing next to a ball dominant Guard. I don't think Chicago would do it, but it would be interesting.

3) God I hope that's not true. I thought Mike Brown's inept offense was part of why Lebron left. I really don't care for Mike Brown as a coach. But I thought he was brought in primarily because this team has some horrible defensive tendencies outside of Varajao. Ivring and Waiters are borderline turnstyles, probably fighting with Portland this year for worst defensive backcourts in the league. Earl Clark is a stretch four playing SF. Bennett doesn't have the footspeed to defend at SF. Thompson is ok, but not a classic rim protector. For all the faults with Mike Brown, he will get his teams to defend. He's like a homeless man's Tom Thibedue.

4) I hate to say it, but yes, I think taking Bennett was a mistake. And the reason I hate to say it is because I really liked Bennett coming into the draft, but he needed the right situation, and this isn't it. I really liked Bennett in Phx. My opinion coming in was the he was the toughest cover in this draft. The most gettinest buckets guy available. Phx had no offensive first option. Charlotte made some sense. Even the Wiz I thought could work. But with a couple big bodies in the lane, and two guards who tend to have the ball, he's being reduced to occasional mismatches and stretching the weakside of the floor with his jumper. And that's not enough to overlook what are going to be some defensive flaws. I really felt Otto Porter, who has a much more complete floor game, was a much better fit, and that's who I would've taken (and I stand by that even though he looked awfull in Vegas). And frankly I would've been tempted to roll the dice with Noel and seen if I could've added another piece next year by not playing him and not signing Bynum, and letting what I had develop. Or something that I heard after the fact that I didn't think of was go Oladipo, finally getting some perimeter defense out there, and moving Waiters to his natural position as the go to guy on a bench unit when Iriving is out, not unlike old Bobby Jackson, which really is probably where he belongs.

5) Like Atlanta, I see them in the mix for those 7/8 spots, with Washington, maybe Milwaukee.

BONUS 1) That's a deep frontcourt. It just doesn't fit that well together. And there's pieces in there I like more than most. I think Zeller's ability to run makes him a legit rotation piece in the league. And I think Earl Clark is a legit rotation stretch 4 in the league too. But Bynum to me ideally would be playing next to Clark as a SF, and then a truer SF.

BONUS 2) As I said before, I see Dion Waiters' destiny as one of those irrational confidence bench guys in the Bobby Jackson mold, only bigger and more physical. It would help if he was a little more focused defensively to make him a true starter, but even then he kind of needs to be the focul point of an offense, otherwise he just loses too much value.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    From a pure talent standpoint, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league. I believe that.

Andrew Bynum has an argument as best center in the NBA when he's healthy. I think it was a strong argument in the last season he played (2011-12). Can he get back there? Only time will tell, but there's no question the talent/skill is there for him to be a dominant force offensively and a very good defensive big.

Anderson Varejao
    has been playing at an All-Star level the last two seasons prior to his injuries. Last year, the guy was averaging 14/14+ and seemed to be getting stronger just before he went down. He was averaging more offensive rebounds per game than anyone has in over 15 years. The last guy to average more was a prime Dennis Rodman.

How many teams have two potential All-Star centers on their roster? Injuries are a question for both, but assuming good health, this is the best 1-2 center punch in the league and the great thing is their skillsets should compliment each other quite well if/when Brown wants to pair them up on the floor.

Tristan Thompson was one of the most improved players in the league last year. He very quietly basically averaged a double-double and played in all 82 games. In the 50 games he played without Anderson Varejao (thus giving him more minutes/responsibility), his play improved dramatically. He averaged 13+/10 in those 50 games. Very young guys can go one of two ways when having more responsibility dumped on them... respond or shrink. Thompson's response is a great sign for the future of this franchise. And, he's still only 22. He can also play either PF or center.

Tyler Zeller had a rough rookie season, but it wasn't until Varejao went down that his weaknesses began to get really exposed. Prior to that, he had been a nice rotational big off of the bench. Like I said about Thompson, when a young player is given the opportunity for more minutes/responsibility, he can respond or shrink. Zeller shrank, but I'm cutting him a lot of slack. He was forced into a situation as a rookie where he was playing 30+ minutes a night and anyone could see he just wasn't ready for that. On the bright side, I thought he looked much improved during Summer League and the Blue/White Olympic scrimmage. I'm still confident he's going to be a good player in this league that will have a long career. Not an All-Star, but a solid big man ideally off the bench on a good team.

Anthony Bennett was as surprising a pick for me as it was for everyone else... maybe even moreso, because I watched Tristan Thompson grow into a potential rock solid option as the PF going forward last season. That's really the main reason I never considered Bennett, but it has become clear that the NBA is going away from conventional 1-5 spots and more toward complimentary skillsets regardless of size/position. In that respect, Bennett fits in quite well. He has a very nice perimeter game and was arguably the best pure scorer in the draft. The Cavs needed a scorer in the frontcourt who can stretch the floor and get out and run. We'll see how AB turns out, but the pick was a very interesting and intriguing one. Obviously, Chris Grant and Mike Brown believed he was the best player in the draft. That tells me really all I need to know. He also looks like another versatile player who can play either the 3 or the 4.

Earl Clark was maybe the lone bright spot in a dismal season for the Lakers last year. I don't expect him to be a star, but on this team with this kind of depth? Yeah, I think he can provide production at both the 3 and 4 spots. He seems like a very nice utility tool. His shooting has improved over his career, he's athletic around the basket and he defends/rebounds well.

I'm sorry, that's a damn nice frontcourt *if* healthy. Basically all of the Cavs' scoring production last season had to come from the backcourt with Kyrie/Dion. That is no longer the case and making Jarrett Jack arguably the best backup guard in the league? I'd say this has been a successful offseason and I think this is a playoff team regardless of Bynum's status. Even just Varejao/Thompson/Bennett/Zeller/Clark is a good frontcourt rotation. Bynum would make it the best rotation in the league.
    I love RBA's passion for the Cavs and his knowledge of our team, but this post basically bitch slaps the great Five Question forum and attempts to replace it. Answer the five questions and move on. This was a great Forum which is better when just answered.

Local High School Star

It's either False or TBD. The key is whether or not Tristan goes from being improved to a stud on the block who is a hard guard.

False. He's a glue guy...leader...winner.

Doesn't matter. He's coming back. You can book it. He's paving his path already with comments, actions, etc. He's back. That being said...he thinks Mike Brown can flat out coach.

Chris Grant likes surprises, but he did his homework. EVERY draft expert - including the "experts" on here - were all over the board. Grant listened to none of them and selected whom he thought had the biggest upside. This was not a stretch.

Below .500 but pushing for playoff seed all season long. I think Jack pushes this team more than people realize.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

Has to be close. Which of 6 players mentioned would not start at center for the World Champions?

As a scorer, yes. He's the kind of player who will make you say, "He scored how many?" Dude can score, but most often in a consistent, quite mode. 6,4,7,8 in the quarters for 25.

Quote Originally Posted by sixer6ad
    I love RBA's passion for the Cavs and his knowledge of our team, but this post basically bitch slaps the great Five Question forum and attempts to replace it. Answer the five questions and move on. This was a great Forum which is better when just answered.
    How did I "bitch slap" and "attempt to replace" the five questions?

I only felt like answering one of the five questions at that moment and I knew it was going to be a long answer, so I just made it one post. I answered the Varejao question in a different post at a different time when the mood struck me. I fail to see how my answer to one of the questions is seen as an attempt to replace the OP.

And, no, I will not simply answer the five questions and move on because I'm on here sporadically throughout the day, usually during downtime at work and I don't have time to thoroughly respond to all the questions in one shot. Feel free to compile my answers into one post and I'll delete the multiple entries if it really bothers you. I don't see the problem, personally.

I see this topic as a terrific way to promote interactive discussion of these teams. I didn't realize it was a great offense not to follow a rigid formula in every post. The other five question threads aren't being monitored in that manner.

Cav's will make top 8 in the east.

False. Irving is their only proven player. the rest are projects.

False. When you have to depend on a healthy Bynum to have a center, it's foolish to trade your only other serviceable center. Unless you want to throw Zeller right into the mix immediately.

false. of all the men to recruit James, Brown is not it. in fact, Cleveland may have affirmed James' decision to stay in Miami longer. if they want James back, they should hire Pat Riley. end of story.

True. if they were going to pick Bennet, they wasted their pick. they could have easily traded down, gotten Bennet and some value out of that #1 pick. what idiots.

After the top 5 teams (Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn, New York), the East is virtually open. considering, Cavs may be the best team after the Knicks, i say yes, they will make it.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

false.

false. he's a bust in the making.

[B]1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks. TRUE

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake. YES

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season. YES
    [/B + 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    [B]1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks. TRUE

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake. YES

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season. YES
    [/B + 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

TRUE

Why did you even bother commenting on 5 threads of these questions? You didn't answer any of the questions and just laughed at all the teams. No need to be disrespectful dude, especially when your not going to put any logic behind it.