Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.

Lebron fanboys mention it's a team game whenever rings come up then in this case talk about 1vs1.

Bird at one point or another was guarded by and destroyed dudes like Erving, Rodman, Cooper, Jordan, Bobby Jones, Pippen, Wilkins, Woolridge, McDaniel, Nance, Cliff Robinson, Kenny Walker, Worthy, Roundfield... plenty of them while he was under terrible conditions, not to mention doing this while trash talking the hell out of them. What would Lebron do better than them?

Also like the superstar Sf's nowadays cover one another or something like that, why don't people bring that up? Durant guards Lebron for most of the game? Or Melo? Not even close. Same can be said to a lesser extent for Lebron against other superstar Sf's. So please stop.

Oh yea and basketball it's 5on5.
    Plus jumpers gotta be contested by the on-ball defender while if you drive you may meet other players on the way... Just to say Larry got more ways to score, shooting anyway from anywhere, postgame, could drive with a great touch around the basket with both hands, go look at some of his floaters, if it was today people would be drooling.

Replace Lebron with Larry in the 80's with the Celtics and he wouldn't have his dominance, success, impact and so on, ijs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall

Lebron doesn't even have a quick first step like that. So how did you come up with this conclusion?
    Exactly. Like I pointed out in another thread. Lebron's lack of quick burst speed would hamper him against the hand check.

this thread has quickly turned into a Lebron-bashing thread. Not my intentions. So guys, let's not discredit Lebron here, but let's all just take a deep breath and take a moment to recognize the greatness in Larry Bird.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dh144498
    this thread has quickly turned into a Lebron-bashing thread. Not my intentions. So guys, let's not discredit Lebron here, but let's all just take a deep breath and take a moment to recognize the greatness in Larry Bird.

have we even seen LeBron's peak yet? he seems to be improving every single season since he's been in the league

Peak Bird vs LeBron we're seeing now? Peak Bird.

But we'll see if LeBron gets better. He still has more time to improve his perimeter shooting, post game and FT shooting before his athleticism starts to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Peak Bird vs LeBron we're seeing now? Peak Bird.

But we'll see if LeBron gets better. He still has more time to improve his perimeter shooting, post game and FT shooting before his athleticism starts to fade.
    this is true.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    have we even seen LeBron's peak yet? he seems to be improving every single season since he's been in the league
    This is true.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Let me ask how could Lebron be in conversation for Goat with MJ by media and former players but not be better than Bird ?

Yeah I watched Bird and Bird himself would tell u Lebron is better. Lebron will finish his career in tbe top 5 all time probably right behind MJ but some will argue Lebron as the goat.. Championships will be deciding factor.
    Lebron needs to win the next two years..

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Let me ask how could Lebron be in conversation for Goat with MJ by media and former players but not be better than Bird ?
    The only people who think LeBron is in the conversation with MJ are idiots without a brain. The media love to compare the biggest star today and the biggest star of the past. It's a good talking point. Take members of the media aside and ask "LeBron or MJ" and it'll be a landslide victory for Jordan.

People in the past have said Kobe's in the conversation for goat with MJ. Clearly he isn't...

Dunking on everybody in the park chosen_wun's Avatar

The media compares every great wing player to Jordan, also former players are dumb.

Mark Jackson said Kobe is the GOAT.

1) Right now, LeBron is not in the conversation for GOAT. Not even close.

2) We're talking about peaks here, not overall careers. In his peak, Bird was arguably the greatest all-round offensive force in the history of the game. And he was a very underrated defender (particularly help defense). If he had maintained his dominance longer, he would have a legitimate case for the GOAT.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo
    The only people who think LeBron is in the conversation with MJ are idiots without a brain. The media love to compare the biggest star today and the biggest star of the past. It's a good talking point. Take members of the media aside and ask "LeBron or MJ" and it'll be a landslide victory for Jordan.

People in the past have said Kobe's in the conversation for goat with MJ. Clearly he isn't...
    Lebron is clearly better than Kobe though meaning Kobe was never as good as Lebron at his best. I think when Lebron is locked in and in attack mode he is the most unstoppable force ever that isnt a center.

I was saying the same thing...Who are we to say as just basketball fans that LeBron is or isn't better than MJ or Larry when all the former players who have played with MJ and coaches speculate on it as if it could be a real possibility?

Phil, Magic, Larry, Barkley, Pippen have mentioned that he COULD be better (we have yet to see if he will be) but obviously right now he's not there yet. The point is LeBron has the tools to be the GOAT, it's up to him on whether or not he transcends himself.