Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22293031323334 LastLast

Default Re: Jerry Sloan steps down, leaves Utah Jazz! Era is over!

Quote Originally Posted by the_wise_one
    Deron is cursed now, he isn't gonna win any championship ring.
    It's not like he was going to win with Utah anyway

Not airballing my layups anymore

Jerry sloan steps down so he can be the lakers coach for next season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Jerry Sloan has not closed the door on making a return to the bench, though he won't actively campaign for a new job.

If presented with the right opportunity, Sloan would consider taking another head coaching position in the NBA.

The 69-year-old Sloan left the Jazz mid-season after the team's play deteriorated and there was a reported spat with Deron Williams, who was subsequently traded to New Jersey.
    He'll be back

Marcus Thompson: I'm hearing the Warriors are interested in prying Jerry Sloan out of retirement

A typical example of Jerry's thinking in an article about the best guys the Jazz got rid of over their years in Utah.

[quote]Dell Curry

His exit

As first reported by UtahMitch (who was in attendance), Phil Johnson won Man of the Year from the Idaho-Utah Multiple Sclerosis Society. The award is :
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#2f2e2e]given to an individual whose philanthropic, educational and civic activities strengthen the community. [/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR=#000000]Not to take anything away from Phil and the work that he did for MS, but also in attendance was Jerry Sloan and David Checketts. The RSL owner spoke to ESPN 700 yesterday and stated that the ownership of the Detroit Pistons had reached out to Sloan about coaching:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]I'll tell you this about Jerry and I don't think this has been published anywhere...he's one of the people that was asked whether he'd consider sitting down with the new owner of the Pistons and bless his heart, he thought about it for a couple of days and came back and said he wasn't ready to go back to work. I do believe he will. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Transcribed by moni[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Remember, Checketts was brought on as a consultant for the Pistons this summer. I don't know if he spoke to him about it at this function or if there were talks previously.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]I really didn't see him coming back from retirement to coach again, but after some time off, he might not be able to fight the desire to return. It would kill me to see him roaming another sideline.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Personally I'd love to see him prove what a great coach he's supposed to be without the job security and superstars he had in SLC. Detroit has some young talent but are a mess. Maybe Phil will take a job and Jerry will be lead assistant?
    [/COLOR]

In his book, Amaechi was highly critical of coach Jerry Sloan, castigating him for his old-school and often profane motivational techniques. "Jerry raged against players whom he thought didn't play hard enough, claiming they were undermining coaches across the league," Amaechi wrote. "If we lost two or three in a row, he would stride into practice yelling, 'You (expletives) are trying to get me fired. I'm not losing my job because you guys aren't hustling.' "During one of these job-insecurity diatribes, Karl (Malone) looked at me and smirked, 'If only we were so lucky.' Then he went back to the posture he'd long ago adopted: working diligently on his game while pretending Jerry didn't exist."

Standard-Examiner

Tim Kawakami: In a Tweet to @Si_ChrisBallard, I convinced myself: Clippers should hire Jerry Sloan ASAP... Sorry, Vinny
    LOL! U think CP and Blake are going to want to play for him anymore than Deron did?

Jerry Sloan is too good, too respected, to start his own coaching campaign. So as the 69-year-old answers questions about whether he might leave retirement behind and return to the job that he loved for nearly three decades, you get the sense he's resisting the urge to make some formal announcement of his desires. "I think if the right situation came along, whatever that is," he said before pausing to ponder. "I don't know what the right situation is. We'll have to wait and see, I guess." SI.com

But it didn't take long for teams to call, inquiring about his itch to get back on the bench, and sources said the Pacers were among those seriously hoping to land him before they gave Frank Vogel a permanent position. "Before, I was just visiting with people [from teams], but they knew that I wasn't ready to coach ... back in the summer," said Sloan, who returned to his house in Utah in recent months. "I didn't know if anybody was going to call [after that]. Maybe they won't. I don't know what my reaction would be. I had some people call when they'd lost their coaches. I was honest with them." SI.com

But the honest truth has changed since then. And considering energy has played such a significant part in Sloan's decision-making, he's sounding as if a return could be in the cards. "My energy level has changed a great deal since I quit coaching," said Sloan, who is an avid walker. "It's changed a lot now. I've had time to work out. I feel better. "I had a chance to relax, to do something that I haven't had the time to do in 30 years. That's rewarding. You have time to spend with the family and have Thanksgiving and things like that. I enjoyed all of that. But [returning to coaching] is a decision where, if somebody talked to me, I'd review the situation like anybody else and take it from there." SI.com

The Maloof brothers who own the team think very highly of Sloan, and sources said that Tammy hopes her husband returns to coaching and was favorable of the idea of possibly residing in Sacramento. Within hours of Westphal's firing, however, the team announced that assistant coach Keith Smart would take over. A Kings source said he was given a new deal that's guaranteed through this season with a team option for next season, meaning Sloan could be a candidate for that job and any other where his expertise is needed. SI.com

Chris Mannix: Interesting name for Washington suggested by one executive: Jerry Sloan.
    Could be good for Wall once they figure out who can run the pick and roll with him anyway.

From Karl Malone interview:

"I think Coach Sloan will coach again in the NBA. Absolutely...I would love to [be an assistant coach], with Coach Sloan."

* Jerry Sloan quit because he didn't get the support of Jazz management, last year. Malone claimed that he had it on good authority that Deron Williams' insubordination had persisted and finally boiled over that night last season against Chicago in the Jazz locker room. Williams had broken several plays during the game and the coach and player argued heatedly afterward.

According to Malone, Jazz CEO Greg Miller and general manager Kevin O'Connor failed to back up Sloan's wishes to suspend Williams, so he quit. Still, the hole in the story is that if Williams was more valuable than Sloan, why trade him a week after Sloan quit?

On Jerry Sloan's exit
    "I know for a fact, knowing Coach Sloan, if we're getting our butts kicked, we're practicing. I know for a fact that he was overridden on practices sometime on the road. Because Deron [Williams] was calling our GM.

"Coach pissed off, go in the locker room, words were said, Deron said words, Coach Sloan definitely said something, and the powers that be was there.

"In that defining moment, when [Jazz team management] shoulda stood up for Jerry Sloan...they chose Deron Williams. And Coach Sloan, being the coach I know and love, said, you know what? We should part the ways...And once Coach Sloan says something, it's history."
    Well as we've seen this year a coach is a lot easier to replace than a superstar point guard especially for an offensive system that revolves around the 1. Why they traded him after not backing the coach doesn't make much sense though.

Two sources close to Sloan said he appears recharged and could return to coaching next season. Six teams have already unsuccessfully tried to lure him back before he was ready, the sources said.

Don

[quote]We

The Bobcats are not expected to make a hire for several weeks. They also have interest in Indiana assistant Brian Shaw, former Portland and Seattle coach Nate McMillan, and former Utah coach Jerry Sloan, sources said. Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas, son of recently released coach Paul Silas, will also be interviewed, according to sources. ESPN.com