Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Ranking each season of LeBron from best to worst

05-06 is underrated. That's probably the best I have seen him when it came to driving to the rim. He was a friggin bull that season

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    09-10
    08-09
    Big Gap
    11-12
    07-08
    05-06
    10-11
    06-07
    04-05
    03-04
    Pretty much this. 2011 Lebron is pretty far down the list as it should be. But I can see the argument of why 2012 Lebron should be the best.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    I feel that you guys are forgetting just how good he was in 2007. He singlehandedly crushed Detroit in a fantastic fashion. He may have gotten swept in the finals, but considering how awful that team was, I'd put it as one of his best seasons.
    No, it was clearly his worse season since entering his prime. His shooting was terrible, by far the worst of any prime season (under 70% on FTs, 31% on threes and 34% from 16-23 ft), his production dropped dramatically (minus 4 to 7 PER points compared to any prime season) and he hardly had any big games (in the regular season and postseason combined, he had only two 40+ point games and just one triple double). Aside from his game 5 vs. Detroit he had an underwhelming postseason, he only averaged 25-8-8 on 42% for that run and aside from game 5 had no monster performances. The '07 Cavs were a below average offensive team with Lebron struggling all year with his shot, they regressed hugely from '06 on that end, but still won the same 50 games because they played terrific defense (which was what propelled them into the Finals during the postseason, not their below average offense).

He didn't really crush Detroit singlehandedly, that was a defensive struggle of a series and he got decent support offensively from guys like Gibson, Pavlovic and Gooden. He's had plenty of better playoff series.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    05-06 is underrated. That's probably the best I have seen him when it came to driving to the rim. He was a friggin bull that season
    '08 was his best season driving to the hoop IMO, he was stronger and a better finisher that year. Stylistically, '06 Lebron was more slithery while '08 Lebron was more bullish.
    Last edited by che guevara; 07-06-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Banned

2010-2011 LeBron is better than 2007-2008 LeBron to me. '08 LBJ may have been more athletic but '11 LeBron was better at pretty much everything else especially when it came to jump shots which ultimately got them to the Finals because his jumper was wet all season. LeBron struggled against Boston in the 2008 playoffs because of his lack of a jump shot.

I feel like '11 LeBron gives you a better chance of winning than '08 LeBron does.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    I feel that you guys are forgetting just how good he was in 2007. He singlehandedly crushed Detroit in a fantastic fashion. He may have gotten swept in the finals, but considering how awful that team was, I'd put it as one of his best seasons.
    He really didn't have that impressive of a season. He had that dominant Game 5 but that was really it. He had tons of support in the other games of the series and the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by che guevara
    No, it was clearly his worse season since entering his prime. His shooting was terrible, by far the worst of any prime season (under 70% on FTs, 31% on threes and 34% from 16-23 ft), his production dropped dramatically (minus 4 to 7 PER points compared to any prime season) and he hardly had any big games (in the regular season and postseason combined, he had only two 40+ point games and just one triple double). Aside from his game 5 vs. Detroit he had an underwhelming postseason, he only averaged 25-8-8 on 42% for that run and aside from game 5 had no monster performances. The '07 Cavs were a below average offensive team with Lebron struggling all year with his shot, they regressed hugely from '06 on that end, but still won the same 50 games because they played terrific defense (which was what propelled them into the Finals during the postseason, not their below average offense).

He didn't really crush Detroit singlehandedly, that was a defensive struggle of a series and he got decent support offensively from guys like Gibson, Pavlovic and Gooden. He's had plenty of better playoff series.
    I guess I feel kind of biased towards that season because 2007 was when I really got into basketball and back then LBJ used to be my favorite player. Man, I was crushed when the Spurs beat the Cavs. I'm still going to respectfully disagree with you because his fg% dropped due to playing against solid defenses. The Pistons had good D. The Spurs had good D. Maybe I'm just wearing my nostalgia goggles a little too hard, but he crushed Detroit singlehandedly in game 5. I guess I didn't mention the fact he only singlehandedly crushed in one game (G5), because you are right it was mostly defensive (Didn't Gibson have the most points in G6?).

10-11 (last season) is easy to forget how godlike he was, especially in the playoffs, just before he decided to change his mindset in the Finals and take some kindof backseat to Wade, he didnt need to drop as many numbers as this year as Wade/Bosh were helping out much more than they did this year, neither did he have that official alpha role as he had this year (as evident of the Finals that year)... but he was an assassin, he put on some of the best clutch performances of his career on both ends of the floor just closing teams out and shutting down the best players left and right.... people were talking about if he was on pace to have one of the best overall clutch/closing playoff runs due to his consistancy on that department on both ends of the floor.... Pippen went so far as even to call him "The best player in NBA history, better than Jordan" and so on.... he WAS playing that good... then the Finals happened... and damn that pissed me of, he didnt even play/shoot bad actually, he just played completely out of his role/usual self, took extremly few shots, passed to much, really looked like he took a backseat to Wade... just kept feeding him the ball over and over and they were doing good actually, so he didnt mind... but then came the 4th quarter where Wade was not able to deliver so well and so they needed Lebron but now he was out of rythm out of all the passiveness... horrible mindset/focus/decision making in that Finals while the Mavs were on fire...
    Last edited by pauk; 07-06-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Banned

I think that Lebron was better in 2010 than he was in 2009.

I know LeBron had a better post-season in 2009 but he also had easier competition and defenses in 2009 while in 2010 he went up against the Celtics and their stifling defense.

It just seemed like LeBron could do whatever he wanted to do in 2010 unless his jumper went cold which I believe did in the Celtics series and it was a horrible time for his jumper to go cold. I don't believe in the conspiracies that he quit or that Delonte slept with his mom. I felt like he just had a bad series and he had a bad series because he lost rhythm in his jumper. As LeBron said, he pretty much spoiled Cleveland fans and the entire NBA with his ridiculous consistency and I believe he got far more criticism than he should have in the 2010 ECSF against the Celtics.

I think the only thing he did better in 2009 compared to what he did in 2010 was play more consistent defense but the rest I felt like 2010 LeBron was better and much better in everything else. The less consistent defense is also why I have 2012 LeBron ahead of 2010 along with the added post game.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    10-11 (last season) is easy to forget how godlike he was, especially in the playoffs, just before he decided to change his mindset in the Finals and take some kindof backseat to Wade, he didnt need to drop as many numbers as this year as Wade/Bosh were helping out much more than they did this year, neither did he have that official alpha role as he had this year (as evident of the Finals that year)... but he was an assassin, he put on some of the best clutch performances of his career on both ends of the floor just closing teams out and shutting down the best players left and right.... people were talking about if he was on pace to have one of the best overall clutch/closing playoff runs due to his consistancy on that department on both ends of the floor.... Pippen went so far as even to call him "The best player in NBA history, better than Jordan" and so on.... he WAS playing that good... then the Finals happened... and damn that pissed me of, he didnt even play/shoot bad actually, he just played completely out of his role/usual self, took extremly few shots, passed to much, really looked like he took a backseat to Wade... just kept feeding him the ball over and over and they were doing good actually, so he didnt mind... but then came the 4th quarter where Wade was not able to deliver so well and so they needed Lebron but now he was out of rythm out of all the passiveness... horrible mindset/focus/decision making in that Finals while the Mavs were on fire...
    All that to basically say he "choked"? Yes Pauk, you can use that word, gets the point across faster...

08-09
    11-12
    09-10
    07-08
    06-07
    05-06
    04-05
    03-04

10-11 doesn't count - words can't describe what happened to that man, well, besides choking.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 07-06-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    1. 2011-12
    2. 2009-10
    3. 2008-09
    4. 2007-08
    5. 2010-11
    6. 2006-07
    7. 2005-06
    8. 2004-05
    9. 2003-04
    This

Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller
    All that to basically say he "choked"? Yes Pauk, you can use that word, gets the point across faster...

08-09
    11-12
    09-10
    07-08
    06-07
    05-06
    04-05
    03-04

10-11 doesn't count - words can't describe what happened to that man, well, besides choking.
    07 isn't better than 06 IMO.

7-time NBA All-Star

1.2008-2009
    2.2009-2010
    3.2011-2012
    4.2010-2011
    5.2007-2008
    6.2005-2006
    7.2006-2007
    8.2004-2005

Top 4 are obvious to me, the order is just debatable.

2012 Lebron has some advantages all around over the others such as rebounding, shot selection, defense, post game and moving without the ball plus the championship, and I understand why some will move it over 2010 because Lebron choking away the last 3 games vs Boston.

But Lebron was just a better player to me in 2010. He was at his best as a player in both '08-'09 and '09-'10, the tiebreaker is his superior playoff run in '09 and the more historically significant regular season in '09 from a team success standpoint.

'08 and '06 are very close. Not 100% sure why I went with '08 because he was a poor shooter compared to a respectable one in '06. But he did seem more dominant for some reason. He was much better defensively in '08, probably 10 pounds bigger, and maybe a little better as a playmaker and rebounder. But his jump shot was a pretty significant weakness.

'05 and '07 is extremely close to. Again, his jump shot was just awful in '07, while it was still bad in '05, but getting better. However, he went from a bad defender in '05 to an average one in '07, also looked bigger and stronger in '07. But it's extremely close.

'07 really was a disappointment at the time, I clearly thought he regressed and not only did his jump shot bother me all season, but he wasn't having the same type of big names. it's unusual, but quite a few perimeter players actually had statistical seasons similar to his.

The one thing that really impressed me about his '07 playoff run was his playmaking. But his opponents in the East were terrible except Detroit. First a Wizards team without their 2 best players Arenas and Caron Butler. Then a Nets team whose big men were Mikki moore, jason Collins and Josh Boone. And that Net series was still close even with Vince Carter(who the Nets relied on heavily for scoring) shooting 35% and averaging 20/8/7 with 27 3P% compared to his season numbers of 25/6/5 on 45 fG%/36 3P%.

So Lebron got lucky thatCarter struggled so much, and the series was still a 6 game series with game 1 really decided by Pavlovic's late chasedown block on Kidd, Carter turning the ball over on a last second shot vs Eric Snow in game 4, and game 6 was a 1 point game entering the 4th, but Donyell Marshall came out of nowhere and hit 6 threes in that game.

And Cleveland and Detroit had similar regular seasons. Detroit's defense had already fallen off significantly in '06 when Flip Saunders took over, and Ben wallace had been unhappy about this. Flip was always a very good offensive coach and improved Detroit's offense, but their trademark defense was not as dominant. And their defense dropped further when Big Ben left prior to the '06-'07 season.

Detroit went 53-29 in the season and outscored opponents by 4.2 ppg which was sixth best in the league, while Cleveland went 50-32 and outscored opponents by 3.8 ppg, which was seventh best in the league. And they did this in the same division.

The Cavs were a poor offensive team, but they were now a better defensive team than detroit.

People forget that the '07 Cavs were top 4 defensively and a great rebounding team that outrebounded opponents by 3.7 rpg. Plus they did have a good frontcourt, good role players who stepped up(whether it was Marshall, gibson or Pavlovic) and as much criticism as Larry hughes got, he was playing injured, and the Cavs record was better with him than without him in both the '06 and '07 seasons.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 07-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    1.2008-2009
    2.2009-2010
    3.2011-2012
    4.2010-2011
    5.2007-2008
    bingo

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    and the more historically significant regular season in '09 from a team success standpoint.
    Let's not forget that LeBron sat out the last 4 games of the season after Cleveland clinched the #1 seed. They lost all 4. We are looking at another 65-win season otherwise.

I miss all open layups

2010/2009

2010/2009 -The two seasons that are widely considered his peak around here are a virtual deadlock to me. His regular season in '10 was superior to '09. They had a lot of injuries to starters (Mo, and Shaq) that season but never missed a beat because of his completeness as a basketball player. This was also on full display during the 2012 run; more on this later.

These two years IMO combine to represent the pinnacle of offensive creativity against set defenses in the half court by a perimeter player. During this period the cavs were at their best offensively and their defense was largely responsible for losing in the CF to Orlando. The combined regular season and playoffs for 09 is why I consider these two versions to be a tie.

2012 - While the championship, MVP, etc speak for themselves, I will dare say this is the beginning of the most lethal version of Lebron. He has lost some of that bounce that had enable him to move like a bigger Wade, but I think it sometimes gets overstated. The reason I say this is because he has compensated by looking for easy baskets with off the ball cuts, etc something he didn't do in the past. He has also demonstrated the ability and willingness get deep position against smaller players while taking bigger ones off the dribble. If this continues then he would prove to be too big for SF while being to quick for PFs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by che guevara
    Including postseason

'09
    '10
    '12
    '08
    '06
    '11 (could put it over '06 due to superior defense, but I feel like '06 Lebron tears up the Mavs)
    '07
    '05
    '04
    Do you think either '06 or '08 Lebron could get to the finals though like '11 LeBron could? '11 LeBron got his team to the Finals with his killer and wet jump shot that season while LeBron was a pretty inconsistent shooter those two seasons.

I'm not sure if Lebron was good enough defensively either to contain Rose in the ECF in '06 or '08 like he was capable of doing in '11.

I feel like a lot of people are selling '11 LeBron short.