Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    Went with Option 2.

PG: Derrick Rose
    SG: Latrell Sprewell
    SF: Rudy Gay
    PF: Anthony Mason
    C: Tyson Chandler

Bench

PG: Jason Terry
    SG: Dell Curry
    SF: Rick Fox
    PF: Horace Grant
    C: Robin Lopez
    C: Mark Eaton
    G/F: Anthony Parker

Coach Phil Jackson.

I think that you have 7 guys who need to be spoonfed and a lot of ball handlers who have forks. I think they would be great in the actual nba justoff talent of course. But Phil with the triangle? Rose I think takes a while to adjust. Hes been best in a free flowing offense with a lot of responsibility. When the triangle puts the ball in the hands of Rudy and probably even Mason is he as effective off the ball? Guys like Eaton and Tyson are great on defense as stand alone players. When they have to be guarding the type of monsters on some of these teams it limits their helping ability.

I think a team with a bigman you need to guard at all times would hurt them. They have capable defenders....but I feel it would be taking a lot of what would make them special in the league we have. In this super league? I wonder how they adjust. Added to the offensive questionmarks? Id have to see it to really make a call. Rose/Sprewell/Gay in the triangle is a question mark to me.

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Could you add the following:

Calvin Murphy
    Lenny Wilkens (player)
    Wali Jones
    Ralph Sampson
    Vernon Maxwell
    Bill Sharman (coach)

?

Also, could I pick a guy like young Pistons Rodman or an older Bill Walton/Thurmond (or even Lakers Wilt), or are we restricted to players in their primes?

EDIT: Also Alex Hannum (coach)
    Last edited by fpliii; 04-05-2013 at 11:15 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I think that you have 7 guys who need to be spoonfed and a lot of ball handlers who have forks. I think they would be great in the actual nba justoff talent of course. But Phil with the triangle? Rose I think takes a while to adjust. Hes been best in a free flowing offense with a lot of responsibility. When the triangle puts the ball in the hands of Rudy and probably even Mason is he as effective off the ball? Guys like Eaton and Tyson are great on defense as stand alone players. When they have to be guarding the type of monsters on some of these teams it limits their helping ability.

I think a team with a bigman you need to guard at all times would hurt them. They have capable defenders....but I feel it would be taking a lot of what would make them special in the league we have. In this super league? I wonder how they adjust. Added to the offensive question marks? Id have to see it to really make a call. Rose/Sprewell/Gay in the triangle is a question mark to me.
    Good assessment. I should've factored in the Triangle though. But with a different coach, this is a good team.
    Last edited by Glide2keva; 04-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Facts Are Misleading

Durant
    Ewing

Rodman

Thibs
    Noah
    Artest

JR Smith
    Horry
    Andre Miller

Hinrich
    Ibaka
    Tony Allen

Anthony Parker
    Steve Novak

Starters:

C: Prime Ewing
    PF: Rodman
    SF/SG: Pacers Artest
    SF/SG: Durant
    PG: Hinrich

Key Bench:

6th man scorer: JR Smith
    backup center: Noah
    backup pf: Prime Horry
    backup pf: Ibaka
    backup point: Andre Miller
    backup sg: Tony Allen
    backup sg/sf: Anthony Parker

Designated shooter: Novak

Why my team is the best:

Dominant inside and outside superstars, surrounded by guys who effect the game without having to score like Rodman, Artest and Hinrich on the starting line up. Some of you might question Hinrich, but for the way the team is built...he is almost a perfect PG for this team. Doesn't need the ball, hits open shots, can shoot, all-world defense....

Coach is Thibs. He runs a tight ship and gets the best out of his team on defense. Give him all of these great defenders at his disposal and it's not even fair.

Noah brings energy off the bench and would be OK with that role. He's about the team and nothing more. JR Smith is an ideal scorer off the bench. Andre Miller in his prime will run an offense great. Tony Allen a lock down perimeter defender off the bench.

Basically, I win.

Better luck next year, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Could you add the following:

Calvin Murphy
    Lenny Wilkens (player)
    Wali Jones
    Ralph Sampson
    Vernon Maxwell
    Bill Sharman (coach)

?

Also, could I pick a guy like young Pistons Rodman or an older Bill Walton/Thurmond (or even Lakers Wilt), or are we restricted to players in their primes?

EDIT: Also Alex Hannum (coach)
    Added. Far as the players...I think I need to keep it primes. Some guys like Pippen would have 3 tiers if I broke them up. Blazers maybe a 4.....mid to late 90s a 2.....80s to early 90s a 3. I dont mind the complexity but I dont want people having to take all day. I do appreciate that some want more to think about though.

As I said I plan for the next one to be deeper.....right down to choosing what kind of homecourt advantage you have. Fans who dont care or 90s Sonics/2000s Kings/05-08 Warriors fans. At least one assistant coach option. I plan to include college coaches as options....throw John Wooden in there. Perhaps a player/coach option for players I decide have that option. Guys who have done it....Russell, Lenny, Cowens, Dave D, Avery Johnson was damn near player coach on the Mavs at one point and so on), guys who played and went on to coach(many of them), and modern guys who may have approached it(Kidd/Kobe types). Id find a way to make them count fairly to make up for the saved pick....but it takes some thought.

But it would take more knowledge of NBA history than most who just have 5 minutes to blow are gonna have. Not everyone is as obsessed about such things as I am.

Next time im going all out. Maybe this off season.

Added. Far as the players...I think I need to keep it primes. Some guys like Pippen would have 3 tiers if I broke them up. Blazers maybe a 4.....mid to late 90s a 2.....80s to early 90s a 3. I dont mind the complexity but I dont want people having to take all day. I do appreciate that some want more to think about though.

As I said I plan for the next one to be deeper.....right down to choosing what kind of homecourt advantage you have. Fans who dont care or 90s Sonics/2000s Kings/05-08 Warriors fans. At least one assistant coach option. I plan to include college coaches as options....throw John Wooden in there. Perhaps a player/coach option for players I decide have that option. Guys who have done it....Russell, Lenny, Cowens, Dave D, Avery Johnson was damn near player coach on the Mavs at one point and so on), guys who played and went on to coach(many of them), and modern guys who may have approached it(Kidd/Kobe types). Id find a way to make them count fairly to make up for the saved pick....but it takes some thought.

But it would take more knowledge of NBA history than most who just have 5 minutes to blow are gonna have. Not everyone is as obsessed about such things as I am.

Next time im going all out. Maybe this off season.
    Ah okay, sounds good. Thanks for adding the requested players, I'll submit a team when I have a chance.

Kblaze, I actually had thought to add the assistant coach tweak myself adding you as one, instead of Rambis as 12th man

Anyways, your plan is promising. Next step is making a software out of it and selling it as a historic bball manager game

I decided to make a team that id most enjoy watching....**** winning...

Tim Hardaway
    Vince Carter Toronto version
    Drazen
    Antione Walker
    Vlade
    Hedo Magic version
    Jazz Okur
    Robert Horry somewhere around Rockets era
    Manu
    Kings Brad Miller
    Brent Barry
    Shawn Bradley
    Me as coach with the last pick

Timmy/Manu
    Drazen/Barry
    VC/Hedo/Horry
    Antione(peak...so..late 90s)/Horry/Okur
    Vlade/Brad Miller/Bradley

Id have them running like Doug Moe....go .500 and score 124 a game.

Kblaze, I demand you give an assessment of my team!

Everyone's picking Thibs

Having thought about it....the team I just made might not make the playoffs in an especially good year of the real life western conference. Not with me at the helm giving guys practices off for having 30 point nights and taking them out to clubs if we hold the other team under 110.

Bit of fun for the more interested ones....

Try to create a team that features all the proper positions....that you feel would NOT make the playoffs if they needed 48 wins in the west.

No just taking 12 centers and having Gobb coach them. Proper positions....worst team.

I'll find some way to reward the worst/best job done at that.....

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Coach: Rick Adelman (4)

Starters:

Scottie Pippen (2)
    Brandon Roy (4)
    Kevin Durant (2)
    Larry Nance (4)
    Dikembe Mutombo (3)

Bench:

Andre Miller (5)
    Dell Curry (6)
    Michael Cooper (6)
    Horace grant (5)
    Tyson Chandler (5)

Ramon Sessions (7)
    Shawn Bradley (7)

Lot of players I like. I have questions though. Adleman....considering that hes had the likes of Drexler/Tmac/Webber/Vlade/Brad Miller as the playmakers on many teams I can see him playing through Pippen...but his high post options are limited. If there at all. Hes got stone hands Mutombo, a fairly nimble but not playmaking Nance..Grant....and Chandler. He could adjust...but my view of his best work is usually with that good motion offense. Lot of pieces...lot of options. Like in Portland and on the Kings and briefly Rockets.

I think he would reduce Durants scoring a bit having him play into the ball movement atmosphere he would bring...making him less effective than usual. Pippen thrives...Durant and he would be a great combo...but Durant I dont think is best in Ricks offense.

Drexler shined yes....but he wasnt a halfcourt guy like Durant often is. Durant runs...but Drexler was like....90% head down coast to coast. Post you up or blow by you if he has to...but he was running sooooooooo much to do what he did.

Roy leading the break? Eh. Miller could...but how much is he playing? Cooper fits Adlemans do everything swingman role...but how much is he playing with Roy/Pippen/Durant?

Id say this is more of a team for a Jeff Vangundy or Larry Brown. Grind it out....limit posessions. Team is talented enough to run...but I dont know if it has the parts to fit together on both ends.

Mutombo lets you run while he waits to see what happens. Id like them more with a bigman they could play through.

Of course they win in the real world.

When its vs these monster teams? Id like to know what kinda offense you had in mind to picture it coming together.

Which of Adlemans teams could you see them playing like?

All I can imagine is trying to squeeze Roy into a Terry Porter role and make a 90s Blazers kinda squad with one Drexler too many.

Its not a bad team. I just dont know what its trying to do.

Having thought about it....the team I just made might not make the playoffs in an especially good year of the real life western conference. Not with me at the helm giving guys practices off for having 30 point nights and taking them out to clubs if we hold the other team under 110.

Bit of fun for the more interested ones....

Try to create a team that features all the proper positions....that you feel would NOT make the playoffs if they needed 48 wins in the west.

No just taking 12 centers and having Gobb coach them. Proper positions....worst team.

I'll find some way to reward the worst/best job done at that.....
    According to the existing formula right?

Yes.

Its not easy with all that talent...but it can be done. Im pretty sure the Knicks built a team that wouldnt even be possible with our rules talent wise and pulled it off. I think they had Marbury/Francis/Randolph/Crawford at one point and were awful.

Shit the Lakers right now have a 1 and like....3 2s? Maybe 2 and a 3...but either way....they are too talented to make with these rules. And right now I think are in 9th....

Yes.

Its not easy with all that talent...but it can be done. Im pretty sure the Knicks built a team that wouldnt even be possible with our rules talent wise and pulled it off. I think they had Marbury/Francis/Randolph/Crawford at one point and were awful.

Shit the Lakers right now have a 1 and like....3 2s? Maybe 2 and a 3...but either way....they are too talented to make with these rules. And right now I think are in 9th....
    4)Mike Dantoni
    1)Wade
    4)Rip Hamilton
    4)Odom
    5)Beasley
    5)Emeka
    5)Raja Bell
    5)Mark Eaton
    6)Steve Blake
    6)Kyle Korver
    6)Taj Gibson
    7)Sun Yue
    7)Kwame Brown

College superstar

What the hell... kinda bored. I'm taking likely chemistry into account (i.e. Kobe, AI, Melo on the same team would not work well) --

(Group) - Player/Coach - Position I would play them - Reasoning (if applicable)

(4) - Coach Adelman - I had Thibs first.. but after seeing the players I had assembled, I believe that Adelman would be a better fit to utilize their offensive abilities, namely 3p shooting.

(1) - Bill Russell - C - We have all seen what a healthy Tyson Chandler does for a team, as a defensive minded C, now imagine upgrading from Chandler to best defensive player of all time.
    (5) Horace Grant - PF - I want someone around Russell that can hit jumpers, without being a weak link on D or rebounding. Add to that, Grant won titles as a starting PF, so he's not some scrub.
    (4) - Paul George - SF - Great (though not all time great) defensive player that can also hit 3s, and is blossoming in front of our eyes.
    (4) - Allan Houston - SG - ATG 3p shooter
    (5) Blaylock - PG - Ridiculous steals/threes combo

Bench:
    (5) Jason Terry - G - See below
    (5) Michael Redd - G - These two would just rain 3s/points on the opposition. Their sole purpose on this team would be to score, score, score.

(6) Perkins - C - below
    (6) Ibaka - PF - Starting frontcourt for a championship favorite now, and I can draft them this late? Perkins may be of little use in today's NBA, but he can guard big Cs straight-up, without help. Ibaka is an elite weak-side shot blocker with a legit jumper.

(6) Michael Cooper - SG/SF - This team needs an elite wing defender, and who better to do that, and come off the bench, than arguably the best bench player/defener of all time? Again... 6?

(7) Tim Legler, Larry Sanders - G, PF - This late in the "draft" I am taking elite talents. Both of these players have elite ability in specific areas. I'd rather go elite in some than good at all.

Conclusion: This team will run and gun, all day, every day. Huge weakness is that they don't have much post scoring... Russell was better at that than people give him credit for, and Grant and Ibaka can score from a front court position, but otherwise this team is hugely reliant on the wing players to provide scoring punch. Without an all-time scoring threat, will they be able to score enough? Will their D be good enough to compensate?