Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: cold showers are healthier?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Cold air dries out your sinuses, throat, lungs, etc. And constricts your blood vessels which leads to less mucus to trap infectious agents and white blood cells to fight whatever it is off. Viruses also last longer in the cold dry air. Cold air obviously doesn't make you sick on its own.. It creates and environment for it.

Don't know what you're getting at.. Cold Water showers are different than going outside in the cold with nothing on.
    That is wrong. You have it backwards. In cold air, the blood vessels in the nose get bigger which creates MORE mucus. This is how your body warms up the cold air you are breathing.

It's why your nose runs in cold weather.

The only thing you are correct about is that viruses last longer in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    The only thing you are correct about is that viruses last longer in cold weather.
    So he was correct originally.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    So he was correct originally.
    No, he wasn't. Cold air doesn't make you sick.

He was responding to somebody who said if cold water works, then would cold air work? He said because cold air opens your lungs to infection. And that isn't true.

Viruses can travel easier in cold air, but it isn't the cold air itself. It just means you are more likely to get sick if you are in close-quarters with people in cold weather than if you are in close-quarters in hot weather.

But cold weather itself doesn't get you sick if you are just sitting in your backyard with nobody around.

Plus, whether or not you have a jacket on in cold weather makes no difference in whether or not you get sick. So his answer was irrelevant.

코비=GOAT

Cold air can open yourself up for infection. Tears in the epithelial layer from dry nasal passages, stress levels influence the immune system and hormone release can cause activation in latent viruses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I always take scalding hot showers. After workouts, summer, winter, whenever.

Hot as [COLOR="Black"]fu[/COLOR]ck.
    I prefer cool showers after weightlifting and workout sessions that take place in spring or summer. I can't stand taking cold showers in the winter, even here in east Texas. I don't see a purpose in putting my body through extra stress.

As far as that increased testosterone bs, there are a few scientific journals that state serum t levels in rats decreased drastically when they were exposed to cold water for 10 minutes a day. As far as humans, I don't see how putting your body under such unnecessary stress would increase t levels at all. It's a crock of shit.

summary of one study

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    No, he wasn't. Cold air doesn't make you sick.
    That's not what he said, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Cold showers increase testosterone.
    Links?

good bump...

need to start doing this more often