View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #86
Shepseskaf
Old School

Default Re: Which underrated 80's players would be dominant today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljonesbro
What about all the other low 20 ppg seasons and sub 20 ppg seasons. Plus 32.9 ppg season was with a god awful team and was 1 year literally AND 55 games... His 2nd best season wouldn't even lead the league. I guess one random year of not a full season makes you guarenteed to lead the league in scoring despite MANY other low 20 ppg and sub 20 ppg seasons. Basically ur logic = He played n the 80s/90s hes a god.
I guess you can't read. Look at what I posted -- that Bernard King, in his prime, was a better scorer than anyone in the game today.

I did point out that he led the league in scoring during a tougher defensive era, but my first statement encompasses much more than that.

In short, as a pure 1st option scorer, Bernard's skillset was superior to anyone playing today. In that regard, I think he's top 5 all-time.

Let's take a look at the best scorers today vs. Bernard:

- KD is longer than King, but not nearly as aggressive or phyiscal. Bernard didn't need a Westbrook to help pump him up, he did it all by himself -- with very little offensive help. He also shot a much higher career % than KD -- .518 vs. .473. No doubt, King was a more dominant, effective scorder than Durant.

- Melo is probably the closest comparison to King in terms of attitude, body type and skillset, but falls short in on-court maturity and results. Plus, Melo is a career .455 shooter.

- Kobe, compared to Bernard, is more skilled in the body position and footwork aspect, but is also less efficient (.454) and not as strong physically. Personally, I prefer Kings approach to just go at the opponent, rather than applying finesse.

- LBJ is not really a scorer.

- Harden. King was just better.

- Wade. King was bigger, stronger, more efficient.

I could go on, but suffice it to say in direct response to the OP's question its obvious that a prime Bernard King would absolutely be a dominant player in today's game.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote