Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Well according to the stupid logic on ISH, he better win this ring, because if he loses he will no longer be perfect in the Finals. If Duncan loses in the Finals his legacy will take a hit, because according to many, losing in the Finals is worse than not even making it to the Finals.

Very good NBA starter

If he wins the Finals MVP.

1 Jordan
    2 Russell
    3 Wilt
    4 Magic
    5 Bird
    6 Kareem
    7 Duncan
    8 Kobe
    9 Shaq
    10 Hakeem

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    No disrespect to Cap, but if Duncan has a dominant finish to this run I might give him that edge.
    There is no way Duncan could be ranked ahead of KAJ.
    If you do not remember; KAJ was the FMVP in 1985 at his 38 while averaging 26/9/5/2/1 on 60% against Parish&McHale.

Peak, longevity, accolades. Whatever you say a criteria, KAJ has the edge. I guess the only criteria that Duncan being better than KAJ is being a franchise player. But that doesn't mean KAJ was a bad franchise player.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    If you do not remember; KAJ was the FMVP in 1985 at his 38 while averaging 26/9/5/2/1 on 60% against Parish&McHale.

Peak, longevity, accolades. Whatever you say a criteria, KAJ has the edge. I guess the only criteria that Duncan being better than KAJ is being a franchise player. But that doesn't mean KAJ was a bad franchise player.
    and he should have won the 1980 FMVP.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    How does 5 rings + 3 Finals MVP's not = Greatest winner of the era? Who has a better resume than that?

I swear Kobe fans don't even understand basic math.
    How does a five year drought between finals appearances with two first round exits and zero back-to-back titles make him the "greatest winner of our era"? Are you really that stupid that a team only "wins" if they win in the finals, but if they lose repeatedly in the playoffs, it doesn't count?

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Depends on how he plays. If he has a good series and wins FMVP, I'd bump him up to 7th ahead of Shaq. Although I'd still take peak Shaq over peak Duncan, Duncan winning a 5th ring as the team's best or second best player this late in his career would be too much to ignore.
    I would put him ahead of Shaq already. He never played with a top 15 all time player like Kobe but still lead his team to Championships pus he has had been great for so long.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

It is crazy to see TMac win a ring and not play large minutes to contribute. but Duncan, man if he wins he's going up to Magic and Bird status automatic.

NBA rookie of the year

I rank Duncan above Kobe right now.

4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a sidekick

Banned

It'd be pretty cool if he gets F-MVP.
    He'll have three(four total) Finals MVP in three different decades. 90's, 2000's and 2010's(if it happens).
    That's gotta be the first time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn

Recency bias and overreaction.

I tend to underrate KAJ to a massive extent at times, so best not to take my comments on him too seriously. I do think a case could be made to legitimately put them in the same approximate class of player though if TD finishes super strong.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I rank Duncan above Kobe right now.

4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a sidekick
    So Kobe is just a sidekick, but Parker's FMVP can be ignored (as well as Horry and Manu being decisive factors in 05).

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    How does a five year drought between finals appearances with two first round exits and zero back-to-back titles make him the "greatest winner of our era"? Are you really that stupid that a team only "wins" if they win in the finals, but if they lose repeatedly in the playoffs, it doesn't count?
    Kobe had a 4 year drought. Lebron had a 4 year drought. Shaq's last trip was in '06. Nobody from this era consistently gets to the Finals. Duncan would be tied for the most rings of this era, and already has the most FMVP's (along with Shaq).

Who from this era could say they have a better resume than Duncan if he wins this year? Nobody. Thus, he's the greatest winner of the era. Need me to walk you through anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a role player watching Shaq's one man show
    Fixed

Banned

I always find it amusing how in comparison to every other Top 10 GOAT on ISH, Tim Duncan never gets flak for having a high quality team around him. Everyone just assumes he's always played with mediocre or shitty teammates.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Kobe had a 4 year drought. Lebron had a 4 year drought. Shaq's last trip was in '06. Nobody from this era consistently gets to the Finals. Duncan would be tied for the most rings of this era, and already has the most FMVP's (along with Shaq).

Who from this era could say they have a better resume than Duncan if he wins this year? Nobody. Thus, he's the greatest winner of the era. Need me to walk you through anything else?