Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Great. Then please acknowledge what I said exactly.

You said Pippen >>>Magic and Bird

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I would take Pippen over Melo.
    Pippen is the GOAT perimeter defender, was an MVP caliber player, and at least a top 5 player (and the best all-around player) and the best SF in his prime. 6 rings, 9 conference finals, and 16 consecutive years in the playoffs.

Melo got knocked out the first round 5 straight years before Chauncey came to Denver and ran the Nuggets offense.

Scottie could realistically put up 22-23 points a game...or 9 rebounds...or 8 assists and get DPOY talk. And play the point. And defend virtually anyone over 6' and quite a few guys in the 7 foot range.

Melo is clearly a better scorer..but its not like we have a history of him winning anything to suggest they would use it to a teams benefit more than a team could use Pippens more well rounded game. Melo can have his extra points, I'll take Scottie's playmaking and ability to run the offense as a 6'8" small forward as well as Scottie's superior IQ, superior rebounding and elite defense whether it be 1 on 1 defense vs several different positions or his excellent help defense.

Was Pippen considered better than Clyde Drexler during those days?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I would take Pippen over melo easy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Pippen is a 16 point per game scorer for his career. He is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

After 92'........Clyde was considered a top 5 player as thee late 80's ushered into the 90's...

but a 92' onward Pippen was just proving to be a dominate 2 way player...and Clyde wasn't the same after MJ merked him.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Pippen and Clyde's primes didn't occur at the same time. Clyde in the early 90's was definitely viewed as better( remember he was MVP runner-up in 1992) but from 93 onwards I'd say no. The question is, is Pippen's best(94) better than Clyde's?(92). As an overall force, I'd say yes but Clyde was obviously a more dynamic offensive talent. Pippen had several years of 20+ points a game but the strength of his game was basically filling in the gaps of whatever the Bulls needed, and he succeeded in most/all aspects.

I think he was underrated when he played, because Jordan completely overshadow him, but at this time he's been overrated by many to be one of the absolute greatest players of all time. Very different from when he played.

I don't know if I'd build a franchise around him because he wasn't a great shot creator for himself but other than that and his ego issues I can't think of anything to criticize about his game. You could nitpick but really, Pip could do it all and was one of the best perimeter defenders ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Pippen is a 16 point per game scorer for his career. He is overrated.
    AND one of THE greatest perimeter defenders / playmakers ever.

Don't mind me, just correcting you.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    AND one of THE greatest perimeter defenders / playmakers ever.

Don't mind me, just correcting you.
    The thing is that I never heard that before the Kobe obsessive fanboys started repeating it over and over. I wonder why they kept repeating that.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    The thing is that I never heard that before the Kobe obsessive fanboys started repeating it over and over. I wonder why they kept repeating that.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I don't know if I'd build a franchise around him because he wasn't a great shot creator for himself but other than that and his ego issues I can't think of anything to criticize about his game. You could nitpick but really, Pip could do it all and was one of the best perimeter defenders ever.
    Magic wasnt that great at creating his own shot. Id say he got by. He was great at getting the ball to players who could get their own shot. The key is you bring in players to cover the Franchise players shortcomings. Theres no way you can honestly say the Bulls.wouldnt have won championship in 94 if they had Latrell Sprewell instead of Pete Myers.

Theres no doubt Pippen woukdve won an MVP, in 94 had the Bulls did a better job of replacing Jordan. They wouldve won 62 games and win the Finals

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I do. Ne-1 posted that GM survey done in 95 a whike back. Pippen was highly regarded in the NBA. I remember reading an interview with Tex Winter in which he discusses Krause.wanting to trade Pippen for Kemp and Hersey Hawkins. And he said Jackson, himself as well as the rest of the coaches said hed be nuts if he did that trade.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Underrated largely by Jordan fans who did not care for the Bulls as a team and want to diminish him in a way Jordan himself, their teammates, and coaching staff would not.

Perhaps overrated by a few people roughly my age who favor him over any modern swingmen and take it too far.

More often than not though...id say underrated.