Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

Default Re: So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Yup, buying a plane ticket illegally, texting a few too many times, and being retroactively punished for poor academic performance sure is the sign of a dirty program. You can find dirt on any program that competes at a high level in the NCAA, from UConn to UNC to UK to Indiana. Wherever whenever.

UNC has never had major violations in basketball during the shot clock era.

Don't lump us with the UK's and UConns that have had multiple major NCAA violations, or Calipari who's waiting for his next violation to be handed down.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva

UNC has never had major violations in basketball during the shot clock era.

Don't lump us with the UK's and UConns that have had multiple major NCAA violations, or Calipari who's waiting for his next violation to be handed down.
    It's s good thing everyone seems to be ignoring the academic fraud that involved half your 2005 team championship team.

Swept under the rug already.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Eh, until Calipari leaves for an NBA team or something. Can't see him staying at UK for more than 3-4 more years. He almost has nothing left to prove. That is, assuming they don't find some foul play like in his past.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Hope so. Really do. Purdue can rack up some really good classes like they have been the next couple years, let em grow, build continuity, blah blah blah, but they're not winning a title.

And that's honestly fine with me. Looking at it completely selfishly, like every fan that doesn't root for maybe 4/5 schools should, GOOD. Most of the regular posters here are fans/alumni of big conference schools. Don't knock Calipari and UK for just taking advantage of the system. It's an "amateur" basketball problem, not NCAA.

You're 18, you're a legal adult. There's absolutely no reason for players not to be eligible once they hit 18 other than NBA GMs being punk asses that don't trust their staff's evaluations.

The AAU culutre of prep hoops is an entirely different animal and I'm not about to pretend I know how to legitimately "fix" it. But divorcing big money athletics from college athletics is a good start. 15 year old actors can drop out of school and get tutored on set in a trailer and no one cares. Why can't there be a structured, fully sanctioned Euro style minor league? Morally gross? You bet. But anymore than it already is?

It all boils down to, for me, let these kids make money for themselves. Everyone else is. There's an entire industry built on watching high school sophomores. Grown men make a living telling us how good they think 15 year olds are. That disgusts you less than the actual 15 year old making a couple grand a month to pay his mom's light bill? Take the kid gloves off. The industry of basketball doesn't treat these kids as children until it comes time to compensate them.

PAY EM.

I'm ok with paying players as long as they're not using tax payer or tuition fees. I can't justify paying players salaries when academics are being sacrificed just to do that. It doesn't serve the greater good.

And the NBA needs to get the age minimum back to 18. It's egregious how they're using college as a weed out system.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I'm ok with paying players as long as they're not using tax payer or tuition fees. I can't justify paying players salaries when academics are being sacrificed just to do that. It doesn't serve the greater good.

And the NBA needs to get the age minimum back to 18. It's egregious how they're using college as a weed out system.
    Completely agreed.

Which is why NCAA basketball needs to stop being the de facto minor league for the NBA and the NFL. ESPECIALLY the NFL, but that's a different thread. There needs to be legitimate minor leagues for both. Starting whenever the kid's parents want to sign the contract. The only way you can be against is either you're so disillusioned to think AAU tourneys will basically become minor leagues, which they won't, there'd be maybe 15 kids a year. And their entire future is predicated on basketball anyway, stop kidding yourselves thinking the majority of scholarship athlets are in it for the education.I'm talking about NBA sanctioned academies, just like the Euroleague.

"Amateur basketball" is clearly a huge business. It's far past time to make it an above board one. A kid doesn't succeed at it? Tough. Same way he doesn't succeed spending 65% of his time out of a classroom getting that "Organizational Leadership degree." A lot of people are honestly just kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Hope so. Really do. Purdue can rack up some really good classes like they have been the next couple years, let em grow, build continuity, blah blah blah, but they're not winning a title.

And that's honestly fine with me. Looking at it completely selfishly, like every fan that doesn't root for maybe 4/5 schools should, GOOD. Most of the regular posters here are fans/alumni of big conference schools. Don't knock Calipari and UK for just taking advantage of the system. It's an "amateur" basketball problem, not NCAA.

You're 18, you're a legal adult. There's absolutely no reason for players not to be eligible once they hit 18 other than NBA GMs being punk asses that don't trust their staff's evaluations.

The AAU culutre of prep hoops is an entirely different animal and I'm not about to pretend I know how to legitimately "fix" it. But divorcing big money athletics from college athletics is a good start. 15 year old actors can drop out of school and get tutored on set in a trailer and no one cares. Why can't there be a structured, fully sanctioned Euro style minor league? Morally gross? You bet. But anymore than it already is?

It all boils down to, for me, let these kids make money for themselves. Everyone else is. There's an entire industry built on watching high school sophomores. Grown men make a living telling us how good they think 15 year olds are. That disgusts you less than the actual 15 year old making a couple grand a month to pay his mom's light bill? Take the kid gloves off. The industry of basketball doesn't treat these kids as children until it comes time to compensate them.

PAY EM.
    in addition to this a lot of student athletes (at least at the top tier schools) are not allowed to miss class, while their colleagues are afforded the discretion by their professors to go to class when they see fit.

I'm not advocating them skipping class at all, rather, it's just more evidence of the mixed message that the NCAA sends its student-athletes

if these athletes want to make a smoother transition to the NBA, get rid of all these rules and if they make poor decisions then so be it, let them learn the hard way like anyone else

as for paying them, i definitely would endorse an idea like that, these schools make ridiculous sums of money from their athletic programs and it could even be an incentive for players to stay. Why tell a guy he's not old enough to go to the NBA, but he can join the army and kill people, i dont get it

If they keep getting quality players that are coachable and clean cut, Kentucky will be a top program for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    in addition to this a lot of student athletes (at least at the top tier schools) are not allowed to miss class, while their colleagues are afforded the discretion by their professors to go to class when they see fit.

I'm not advocating them skipping class at all, rather, it's just more evidence of the mixed message that the NCAA sends its student-athletes

if these athletes want to make a smoother transition to the NBA, get rid of all these rules and if they make poor decisions then so be it, let them learn the hard way like anyone else

as for paying them, i definitely would endorse an idea like that, these schools make ridiculous sums of money from their athletic programs and it could even be an incentive for players to stay. Why tell a guy he's not old enough to go to the NBA, but he can join the army and kill people, i dont get it
    To be clear, I don't want the NCAA, a conference, or a specific school to compensate them. I want to entirely divorce amateur basketball from college athletics. Go the baseball route, kid wants to enter the draft straight outta HS? Cool, here's your contract offer. He wants to go to college. You're there at least 3 years.

The bastardization of post secondary education in lieu of athletics should seriously gross people out. Kids are enrolled in a lot of the schools we attended strictly because they're good ball players. Cite all the bullshit GPA stats you want, these kids are not at college to learn. THAT IS WHY COLLEGE EXISTS, NOT TO HAVE A GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM. They're already majoring in basketball. Make it real, make it a real job. I want these kids to make money off their talent but more than anything I want them to stop making a joke out of college.

To be clear, I don't want the NCAA, a conference, or a specific school to compensate them. I want to entirely divorce amateur basketball from college athletics. Go the baseball route, kid wants to enter the draft straight outta HS? Cool, here's your contract offer. He wants to go to college. You're there at least 3 years.

The bastardization of post secondary education in lieu of athletics should seriously gross people out. Kids are enrolled in a lot of the schools we attended strictly because they're good ball players. Cite all the bullshit GPA stats you want, these kids are not at college to learn. THAT IS WHY COLLEGE EXISTS, NOT TO HAVE A GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM. They're already majoring in basketball. Make it real, make it a real job. I want these kids to make money off their talent but more than anything I want them to stop making a joke out of college.
    very admirable, but man, do realize how impossible that seems? these amateur teams are hardly amateur anyways, everywhere you look there is a team sponsored by nike, a tournament by adidas etc. etc. These sponsorships have taken over the AAU circuit and the AAU circuit has taken the place of old fashioned college recruiting.

in terms of just basketball, the AAU game has begun to create a generation of players that only knows how to play when the ball is in their hands and i'm not particularly fond of that either

i've always been lukewarm to the baseball system, however, i agree it works in allowing players to see what they can make now and make an educated decision as to whether to sign or go to college. However, i think the existence of a proper farm system in baseball helps this though; a place where they can play and still get paid and realistically still have a shot of being a good player in the majors. Until that happens I think we are stuck with the same old system, possibly intensified.

the reasoning behind paying them make sense, sure, but i think it's a slippery slope. how would you differ how much players at Michigan St. make and say a school like Western Kentucky? I'm at a loss for ideas on that one.

btw, Purdue looking like contenders as early as 2013. If Hammons comes in in-shape they could possibly make some noise in the conference this year, last year was unfortunate with all the distractions
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 08-03-2012 at 05:10 AM.

QFT

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

[FONT="Verdana"]I predict no Kentucky in next year's final four.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    [FONT="Verdana"]I predict no Kentucky in next year's final four.[/FONT]
    who knows

next year is a down year for college basketball, and we'll have a lot of talent. Not much depth, but 3-4 top 20 picks. I think Cal has proven what he can do by now. I'd take our team over anyone but maybe Indiana.

and I'm not even entirely sold on Indiana, because they looked amazing when they play us and kind of mediocre against pretty much everyone else. Watford especially would be the number one pick just based off his performances against UK, dude is unstoppable.