Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default David Stern: There WILL Be NBA Teams In Europe

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...pe-in-20-years

Stern: 'For sure' there'll be multiple NBA teams in Europe in 20 years

By Royce Young | Blogger
    January 3, 2013 2:55 pm ET

The NBA could be headed across the pond. (Getty Images)

David Stern is stepping down as commissioner on Feb. 1, 2014, which will mark exactly 30 years sitting on the NBA's throne.

So within the next year or so, he's got a lot of things to do before he passes the big chair to Adam Silver. One of those things is possibly setting plans in motion to return the NBA to Seattle, something he's reportedly "determined" to do.

Another expansion idea Stern has? Taking the NBA to Europe. Though it's not something he'll likely be involved with. On SVP & Russillo, Stern acted as if it's a certainty the NBA will have a European team.

"I think so," Stern said when asked if he sees a team in Europe at some point. "I think multiple NBA international teams. Twenty years from now? For sure. In Europe. No place else. In other places I think you'll see the NBA name on leagues and other places with marketing and basketball support, but not part of the NBA as we now know it."

It might sound a little crazy, but it shouldn't. Because it almost happened already with an expansion team in London. Via the Boston Globe:

There was a time when Stern had dreams of a team or even a division in Europe, a first in American sports. He was determined to devise a way for a group of teams in London, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, and Berlin to compete with the 30 stateside NBA teams and even have a real world championship series.

Regardless of how uncomfortable the idea made fans who believe 30 teams was enough -- and regardless of how inconceivable it might be to have a team in a time zone six hours ahead of the Eastern US -- Stern was going to add the London Abbeys to the NBA.

That idea died on the operating table though, because the international economy went rotten and because there aren't any NBA-style arenas overseas.

Which is why Stern put the 20-year timetable on it. Because within that time frame, someone is probably going to build an NBA arena with luxury boxes and concessions and 20,000 seats. Once that happens, an expansion team in London or Barcelona is probably an inevitability.

The NBA is already the second-most globalized game in the world behind soccer, so it's natural to try to expand its borders. There's money to be made internationally. And building a bridge between the NBA and Euroleague would certainly be an interesting evolution.

I know what you're thinking. How is this possible? How could the Trail Blazers take a road trip to Rome on the second night of a back-to-back?

Well, consider this: A flight from New York to London is roughly seven and a half hours. A flight from New York to Los Angeles is roughly six hours. So in the same way schedule-makers set up West and East Coast road trips, it would probably be the same for European trips. It would complicate NBA travel for sure, but it's possible. Especially since we'll probably all be able to teleport in 20 years anyway.

Still, with the league coming off a lockout where the owners cried poor, doesn't it seem odd to be adding more teams, which means the pie gets split even more? There are a lot of variables that will be in play to this actually happening, one being the health of the league.

This isn't something Stern will be overseeing during his tenure. Twenty years is a long time, and a whole lot of things can change. It's something on the radar, though, and Stern seems exceedingly confident it's going to happen. So start getting your mind wrapped around the idea of an East Coast road trip including a stop in London.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 01-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Default Re: David Stern: There WILL Be NBA Teams In Europe

Why did you post that picture of David Stern

The real hint lies at the end, its only possible when faster travel methods are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    The real hint lies at the end, its only possible when faster travel methods are available.
    Even back in the 70's you could go from New York to London in 3 hours. The technology existed over 30 years ago with the Concorde.

It's huge exaggeration about the travel thing. Of course there will be another service like the Concorde, or even faster. It's just a matter of time.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

I heard that before. No clue how they will schedule games...maybe we can beam people from place to place by then???

Wouldn't be shocked if Europe got all the FA's too, the fug would I want to play in a small market over here when I can go to Barcelona and become worldwide or some sht

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

good luck negotiating a TV deal with a 6 hour time difference. that's why it won't happen, not because it takes too long to fly or whatever. weekday 1pm EST games, that'll fly.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    good luck negotiating a TV deal with a 6 hour time difference. that's why it won't happen, not because it takes too long to fly or whatever. weekday 1pm EST games, that'll fly.
    Supposedly Euroleague is getting close to securing a TV deal in the US already. So I don't see why it would not work.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Outside of exhibitions, NBA should stay exclusively in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Supposedly Euroleague is getting close to securing a TV deal in the US already. So I don't see why it would not work.
    then you don't understand the value of a continental product compared to a global one, or television in general really.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Look at those massive earlobes though. Dumbo-looking ass.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Earlobes to droopy. Would not bang.

Even back in the 70's you could go from New York to London in 3 hours. The technology existed over 30 years ago with the Concorde.

It's huge exaggeration about the travel thing. Of course there will be another service like the Concorde, or even faster. It's just a matter of time.
    The concorde was a mad expensive flight I remember, besides, the only team capable of supersonic flight was removed from league. You mention NY and London, but what about west coast trips to Europe? Unless every team that plays the knicks gets to travel to London next, and vice versa with european teams passing through London, thats the only way possible. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    The concorde was a mad expensive flight I remember, besides, the only team capable of supersonic flight was removed from league. You mention NY and London, but what about west coast trips to Europe? Unless every team that plays the knicks gets to travel to London next, and vice versa with european teams passing through London, thats the only way possible. Crazy stuff.
    You'd need an entire European division.

That is so cool. The article said that by that time we will have teleportation. It's a long ass time from now. But that would be so cool to know that players are getting beamed over to their games.