Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

Default How do you play 21?

i wanna see how different people play 21?

i usually play to 31, layups and jumpshots are worth 2 and 3s are worth 3. the free shot is from the three point line. i also played a game where you couldnt score in the paint until you had like 13. then with my cousin from new york, we played 21 and once you reached twenty-one you had to make a free throw and three to win, if you didn't you went back to 15.

so im just curious how you guys play whether it be tips or not, how much you go up to, any disadvantages such as scoring in the paint or something?

Banned

Default Re: How do you play 21?

simple 1pt or 2pts, up to 21

or

1p/2pt with free throws after every made basket and you keep shooting till you miss , this can end quick with a good free throw shooter .

Earned not given

First made free shot is 2 points.
    All field goals = 2 points
    Every free shot after first made free shot = 1 point
    3 and out for free shots
    Take back everything behind 3 point line
    No out of bounds
    No fouls unless called
    Must hit 21 exactly or you go back to 13
    Free shots must be taken from at least college 3pt line

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb

or

1p/2pt with free throws after every made basket and you keep shooting till you miss , this can end quick with a good free throw shooter .

This

We also play "graduation".

all live balls equal 1 pt

free shots are 2 pts, anywhere you want from three pt range

or if we are playing with tip ins

layups are 1, jumpers inside the three point line are 2 and threes are three and tip ins put you back to zero

you can't win on a free shot, must score on a live play to win. so if you have 20 you HAVE to make a layup, if you go over 21, you go back to 15

no fouls.

man it's been a while since I played 21
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 03-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    This. And if I'm playing with 3 or more people, we play with tips also. Tips are worth 2 points and if you get tipped then you go down to 0 unless you have 13 or more in which case you go back down to 13. If you get tipped 3 times though you're eliminated.

NBA Superstar

I'm pretty open to whatever rules of 21 people wish to play by. However, generally speaking, I think it tends to be:

21 by 1's and 2's
    Takebacks on everything (except tips if they're included)
    Safe point of 13 or 15
    "Free throw" = high school three point line
    Limit of three consecutive free throw makes before check-up required
    No fouls or out of bounds

I think it's 50/50 as to whether we include tips. Sometimes I'm guilty of willingly including them if I know I'm playing with a group of players who won't be boxing out on free throws (if they're playing free throws from the FT line, not three point line). Free throw line misses tend to open up a lot of tip dunk opportunities.

More times than not though, including tips seems to just create a never-ending cycle of a player earning points then having them wiped off by a tip, over and over and over again, until we're 20 minutes deep and realize we all have zero points.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm pretty open to whatever rules of 21 people wish to play by. However, generally speaking, I think it tends to be:

21 by 1's and 2's
    Safe point of 13 or 15

I think it's 50/50 as to whether we include tips. Sometimes I'm guilty of willingly including them if I know I'm playing with a group of players who won't be boxing out on free throws (if they're playing free throws from the FT line, not three point line). Free throw line misses tend to open up a lot of tip dunk opportunities.

More times than not though, including tips seems to just create a never-ending cycle of a player earning points then having them wiped off by a tip, over and over and over again, until we're 20 minutes deep and realize we all have zero points.
    I usually play a similar rule if it's not competitive, but with my buddies that are really good ballers we do unlimited because it puts more pressure on you to make shots and get the ball back.

qft, I've played some gruelling games with tips. If it's a "quick" game we'd just go to 11, I hate it when dudes say they want to go to 21 WITH TIPS not knowing what they're in for

Oh btw in Toronto, no joke, 21 is actually called "American" (every man for themselves) and 21 is a shooting game where you shoot and wherever your miss lands the next person shoots from, if you air ball, the next person shoots gets to shoot a layup, and you play up to 21.

21 by 1's and 2's
    Safe point of 13 or 15

Yep, this is generally how I play. Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.

^and lol @ it being called American. That's awesome. I've played that other version of 21 also.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.
    Ha, good point. I used to just grab the rebound and take it back if I wasn't in natural tipping range. But over the past few years, if I'm in the right mood and people are not giving a great effort, I've decided to try tipping from wherever I snagged the board. It's mostly led to failure, but there's been a few circus makes I can hang my hat on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yep, this is generally how I play. Usually include tips just because it can get pretty hilarious when people try to tip every missed shot.

^and lol @ it being called American. That's awesome. I've played that other version of 21 also.
    yea lol i remember there was this guy from Kentucky who came to one of the gyms i play at and he asked us if we wanted to play 21 to warm up and everyone was like "is this guy serious? he wants to play 21? that's for kids" but I got family in the states and they call it 21 so I had to explain to him that its called American, at least in Toronto

btw, your avy, who is that? I would have guessed Dizzy Gillespie because of the bell on the trumpet but I don't ever remember him having that haircut?

Christian Scott. Best jazz artist in music roght now, you should check him out.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    First made free shot is 2 points.
    All field goals = 2 points
    Every free shot after first made free shot = 1 point
    3 and out for free shots
    Take back everything behind 3 point line
    No out of bounds
    No fouls unless called
    Must hit 21 exactly or you go back to 13
    Free shots must be taken from at least college 3pt line
    Exactly this except I prefer to do all day for the free shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    I usually play a similar rule if it's not competitive, but with my buddies that are really good ballers we do unlimited because it puts more pressure on you to make shots and get the ball back.
    How does it put more pressure on you to make shots?

How I play:

Go by twos to 21.
    First free throw is 2 points.
    Free throws are at the top of the arc.
    Can't call violations until you get to 10.
    If you miss a FT at 20, you go back to 15.
    If someone tips in one of your missed shots, you go back to 0.
    Three and move at the line

I am your soldier!

Basically been said but:

- 2s, 3s, and free throws are 1.
    - Someone 'breaks' with a 3 pointer, ball goes live.
    - Made shot gets up to 3 consecutive free throws.
    - If all three are made, you check the ball.
    - If you have 20 and score, you drop to 13.
    - When you hit 21, you either shoot an extra foul shot or 3 to 'prove it'.

- No out of bounds.
    - Fouls can be called.
    - Clear the ball to the 3 point line, unless there's over 3 people.
    - Tips bring you to 0, unless you're at/over 13.
    - 3 tips you're out if there's over 3 people. Otherwise, unlimited.