Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Now that Bynum is on Philly is he capable of putting up Peak Yao numbers?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../mingya01.html

Keep in mind whether he can actually ever be as good as Yao is another question.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Now that Bynum is on Philly is he capable of putting up Peak Yao numbers?

Holy sh*t. Career 20/10 almost with 2 blocks a game.

Edit: and yes, playing injured for almost his entire career
    Last edited by bfrombleacher; 08-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Now that Bynum is on Philly is he capable of putting up Peak Yao numbers?

I could see him averaging the same amount of games played per season.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    I could see him averaging the same amount of games played per season.
    Bad knees aren't anything that get better with age, or size. A healthy Bynum, production wise, could be a top 10 player in the league.

But, Philly will be paying a steep price for a player who typically misses 30% of each season. Also, I truly don't think Bynum's stats are necessarily the kind that translate into wins, though that is just an opinion with no factual evidence since we've never seen him as the main guy on a team. I think we'll finally know what and who Bynum really is these next two seasons, for better or for worse.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

I think a completely healthy Bynum completely engaged and given enough room to work could very well be the best player in this league one day.

But Philly plays at such a breakneck pace , always looking to push etc, it's going to be a hard transition.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    I think a completely healthy Bynum completely engaged and given enough room to work could very well be the best player in this league one day.

But Philly plays at such a breakneck pace , always looking to push etc, it's going to be a hard transition.
    They're obviously going to slow the pace of their game down.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves

If your best player is a half court player, clearly you're going to slow the pace. Iggy was awful in the half court lol.

Anyhow no ones answering the question, which is whether Bynum's production will be similar to a healthy Yao mings.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Bynum will definitely get his points that's for sure but I don't think Bynum is close to being the team player that Yao was. Yao also had greater range in his offense and had a nice jumper for a giant.

But if Bynum is healthy I think he scores more points than Yao. Philly's offense will run through him and he'll get his touches.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves

Either way , it's going to be a touch transition.

Their roster isn't exactly suited to a slow pace at the moment.I think he and the team will suffer a bit in the beginning but eventually they'll figure it out.Especially if he gets healthier and starts running the floor more like he did for the first time last season.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Either way , it's going to be a touch transition.

Their roster isn't exactly suited to a slow pace at the moment.I think he and the team will suffer a bit in the beginning but eventually they'll figure it out.Especially if he gets healthier and starts running the floor more like he did for the first time last season.
    I also don't think they have the deadly shooters to free him up in the paint. Holiday seems like a okay shooter(not sure), Turner doesn't seem like an effective long range shooter, etc.

Nick young and Richardson are decent , especially richardson having played in orlando is pretty prepared.

But Spencer Hawes is not the person you out next to Bynum.

Decent playground baller franchiez's Avatar

He will definitely be a standout in the league. Hes THE guy in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Bynum will definitely get his points that's for sure but I don't think Bynum is close to being the team player that Yao was. Yao also had greater range in his offense and had a nice jumper for a giant.

But if Bynum is healthy I think he scores more points than Yao. Philly's offense will run through him and he'll get his touches.
    How about rebounds/blocks?

Well, it depends on the differences between what LA had around Bynum and what the 6'ers will have around Bynum. It's tough to say how good the spacing will be for Bynum in Philly as compared to LA. And if there's one weakness to his game, it's his ability to handle double teams. This part of his game as a primary post player is what has him below Dwight to me. Bynum becomes absolutely confounded when doubled; he's not quick enough to pull any moves out of a double and he's not a good passer out of double teams at all. There won't be any more of Gasol playing beautiful Big-to-Big basketball with Bynum either to set up easy looks for him.

I don't think he'll ever be capable of putting up peak-Yao numbers as Yao had great range, more than two post moves, and could handle a double team. However, provided that there's good spacing with Bynum out on the court, he can pretty much wipe the floor with almost any Center in the league trying to guard him one-on-one. It's just his lack of mobility and lack of ability to do anything out of a double team that deters me.

Quote Originally Posted by KLovin
    Well, it depends on the differences between what LA had around Bynum and what the 6'ers will have around Bynum. It's tough to say how good the spacing will be for Bynum in Philly as compared to LA. And if there's one weakness to his game, it's his ability to handle double teams. This part of his game as a primary post player is what has him below Dwight to me. Bynum becomes absolutely confounded when doubled; he's not quick enough to pull any moves out of a double and he's not a good passer out of double teams at all. There won't be any more of Gasol playing beautiful Big-to-Big basketball with Bynum either to set up easy looks for him.

I don't think he'll ever be capable of putting up peak-Yao numbers as Yao had great range, more than two post moves, and could handle a double team. However, provided that there's good spacing with Bynum out on the court, he can pretty much wipe the floor with almost any Center in the league trying to guard him one-on-one. It's just his lack of mobility and lack of ability to do anything out of a double team that deters me.
    The question came up of how important it was for a big man to be able to learn to pass out of a double-team in the post — a skill Lakers center Andrew Bynum has struggled to develop as he’s started to face that extra defender inside. McHale said that’ll come, but smiled when the question was asked, because it’s really the very last step to come in a competent post player’s game.

“First of all, there’s like three prongs in that thing,” he said. “One, you’ve got to get good down in the low post. Two, you’ve got to get good enough to beat your man steady. Three, they double-team you — that’s the third prong, and then you’ve got to pass out, OK?

“You learn pretty quickly, because in the NBA especially, when you start getting double-teamed a lot and when teams have success, they’ll do it every single night. Bynum a year from now will be a very good post passer. He’ll know where to go, he’ll be relaxed, he’ll read it, and pass it out. Then you’ve got murder on your hands because the guy can score down there and he can pass out. And any time two (players) guard one in our league, three have got to guard four. And three cannot guard four in the NBA, the players are too good.”
    Mchale made this quote during last season, so do you think he'll improve his passing out of double teams throughout the season?