Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default Why are these point guards never criticized for their defense...

Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Stephen Curry

All popular point guards in the eyes of fans, all-stars on the offensive end, but liabilities on defense.

How can we just ignore this?

Default Re: Why are these point guards never criticized for their defense...

[COLOR="Magenta"]they do get criticized where have u been at?

maybe not as much as the other wing players

and Star PGs have to spend a whole lot of energy on o#
    Hard to keep it up on d#[/COLOR]

They do get criticized. All the time.

But let's not kid ourselves. Individually Offense > Defense which can be hidden by a team

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Yeah they are criticized for their lack of d.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Are you kidding me? Kyrie gets near constant criticism for his defense... along with everything else. This board pretty much hates him at this point.

Those are basically the only flaws in their games too. Defense is all about desire. Unless you're flat footed or physically weak, than you can't stay in front of anyone quick or strong. These 3 are quick, so that's not the problem with them. Steph might be the only physically weak one in that group so I give him a pass.

NBA rookie of the year

They're not good playmakers. That includes Steph who could not run the West team in All Star game like CP3 did the previous year.

they all get criticized especially irving and lillard

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Are you kidding me? Kyrie gets near constant criticism for his defense... along with everything else. This board pretty much hates him at this point.
    Rightfully so. There's no excuse for the Cavs not making the Playoffs this year. Kyrie should of been able to lead his team to at least the 8 seed.

Not airballing my layups anymore

This is just an observation I had and I was wondering if anyone agrees with me. Has anyone noticed that CP3 is an amazing defender against lesser point guards but when matched up with top tier point guards around his level, they always seem to have a good game. For instance, Rose always dropped big time points vs CP3. Curry had huge games vs clippers (although cp3 had an even better offensive night) and Dragic/westbrook drops alot of points)

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Rightfully so. There's no excuse for the Cavs not making the Playoffs this year. Kyrie should of been able to lead his team to at least the 8 seed.
    The life of a 'franchise player,' I guess. They probably get a little too much praise when things go right and too much blame when they don't. Since the roster has been righted with Hawes and Deng, and maybe more importantly, getting rid of dead weight like Bynum and Clark, the Cavs are 15-14.

But, the damage was done in October and November. They got close, but couldn't quite overcome the dreadful start, much of which was due to adapting to a new system and a couple of failed offseason moves.

I'm not absolving Kyrie. I thought he'd be better than he has been this year... but people have over-corrected after last year, when he was probably slightly overrated. Now, people talk about him as if he's trash.

They're still likely to finish with around 35 wins which is an improvement of +12 over last year... and still have the second youngest roster in the entire league. They just turned things around a bit too late.

Quote Originally Posted by freshperry
    This is just an observation I had and I was wondering if anyone agrees with me. Has anyone noticed that CP3 is an amazing defender against lesser point guards but when matched up with top tier point guards around his level, they always seem to have a good game. For instance, Rose always dropped big time points vs CP3. Curry had huge games vs clippers (although cp3 had an even better offensive night) and Dragic/westbrook drops alot of points)
    I saw Westbrook and CP3 head to head stats the other day and CP3 was > than him. Back it up with stats. Curry and Dragic and Rose are tough matchups for everyone. Not just CP3

In any case there isnt a single point guard I would trust to guard the other top point guards in the nba. They just dont have the size.

The point guard position is better guarded by team defense. Which is why I laugh when people compare head to head stats.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

So good point guards are good point guards is what you're sayin?

Oh really? Let's look at some career numbers of points vs Paul:

RW: 18.2/4.0/7.0/1.7 with 4.1 turnovers on 40/30.2/82.5 shooting on 16.1 shots in 33.9 minutes.
    DR: 17.6/5.2/8.6/1.6 with 3.6 turnovers on 40.3/50/91.7 shooting on 15.4 shots in 39.2 minutes.
    TP: 17.7/3.0/6.0/0.9 with 2.0 turnovers on 54.9/38.1/77.1 shooting on 13.2 shots in 31.9 minutes.
    SC: 17.3/3.9/6.6/1.4 with 3.7 turnovers on 49.5/50/92.7 shooting on 12.3 shots in 35.3 minutes.

Oh man, Paul can not defend top tier guys. All of those are noticeably higher than their career averages.

Banned

Kyrie gets buried on here for his defense, so does Lillard.