Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Django Unchained: Big Dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Nobody gives a shit about your opinion. I didn't even read what you said but the fact that it was from 'Mr. Jabbar' basically stamped it as trash. That is the reputation you have given on these boards, lad.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    The Kill Bill films (even the first) went beyond just being cool and campy. The first embraced the artifice and somehow was a terrific film. The second one is a bit of a western and even better.

This film is good...but Foxx is not that good an he's not given much to do. DiCaprio is terrific and the best scene in the film is his going off. That was tense. Jackson was also great.

But Walt was genuinely terrific and the best in show. Such control of his character.

Am I missing something? He did a great job, but I don't see how it was Oscar worthy. This movie was all Leo and Sam Jackson for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    The thing about Foxx, the dude looks always too "cool", "in control", with something smart to say, and is the "ultimate well trained assasin". We already had Waltz for that not to mention he impersonates a black slave and it doesn't fits his role in the slightest, dude should have been alot more down to earth with his extravaganza emerging from other places...

The Waltz hype comes from the average movie watcher who can also find great joy in any other overplayed character for the sakes of it being overplayed.

I don't think there are a ton of actors that could do much more with the Django character. Denzel for sure, but he was too old for the role. Maybe Terrance Howard, but he doesn't really have the charisma of Foxx. Look at Will Smith. He could act circles around Foxx, but im not buying for a second he could play Django anymore realistically. You always get the feeling Foxx is in control throughout the whole movie. Thats just my opinion though. Im biased and have always been a Foxx fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I don't think there are a ton of actors that could do much more with the Django character. Denzel for sure, but he was too old for the role. Maybe Terrance Howard, but he doesn't really have the charisma of Foxx. Look at Will Smith. He could act circles around Foxx, but im not buying for a second he could play Django anymore realistically. You always get the feeling Foxx is in control throughout the whole movie. Thats just my opinion though. Im biased and have always been a Foxx fan.
    Terrance Howard? Lmao here. Thanks for that.

I thought it was entertaining. I didn't go in with huge expectations though.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Terrance Howard? Lmao here. Thanks for that.

No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    What about Idris Elba?

I had no expectations, was baked, and truly enjoyed the film.

So many clueless people here. Movie was fantastic.

And can someone explain to me how one can critique a movie for being too "linear"? I mean, this isn't an rpg or a chose your own story fantasy book, it's a fkin movie. By that logic, any movie that's not memento, pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, etc sucks.

Adventure movies and western are supposed to be linear. That's what makes you appreciate the journey. You think The Lord of the Rings should have started with frodo in Mordor?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    So many clueless people here. Movie was fantastic.

And can someone explain to me how one can critique a movie for being too "linear"? I mean, this isn't an rpg or a chose your own story fantasy book, it's a fkin movie. By that logic, any movie that's not memento, pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, etc sucks.

Adventure movies and western are supposed to be linear. That's what makes you appreciate the journey. You think The Lord of the Rings should have started with frodo in Mordor?
    I see what you mean, when I say linear I don't mean it has to go the pulp fiction or reservoir dogs way being told in disorder but rather at least have some plot twist. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING unfolds as expected, wtf is that for a 2:40 hr long movie, from Quentin nonetheless.

Think about it though. Would Django have survived against Candyland?
    Last edited by D-Wade316; 01-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    I see what you mean, when I say linear I don't mean it has to go the pulp fiction or reservoir dogs way being told in disorder but rather at least have some plot twist. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING unfolds as expected, wtf is that for a 2:40 hr long movie, from Quentin nonetheless.
    I agree that most everything works out just as the viewer likely wants it to (except for at least one big part), but that was one of my favorite aspects of the movie. In an ode to great western films where it's a hero fighting against vile slave owners and country hicks (aka the classic good guy vs. bad guy), I had no interest in coming across some bizarre plot twist where Hilda ends up being Marcellus Wallace's girlfriend or something.

For me, there were enough bumps in the road to leave me on the edge of my seat. I was hoping things would work out, but there were many scenes in the movie that left me with doubt until the end. Django, for as talented as he was, was not able to just waltz in and have his way. Through perseverance he was able to prevail and subsequently, it felt like I was riding along on an exciting journey featuring much tribulation and most rewarding, a healthy dose of triumph.

I think it's just the nature of the film. It was a western about a protagonist winning back his girl. It opens itself up to some straight up hero actions. I think the over-the-top excellence, cleverness, and intelligence from Django was again an ode to the types of movies that influenced the creation of this one. It can come across a little campy, but I think that was the point, and I loved it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Think about it though. Would Django have survived against Candyland?
    You mean if it wasn't just a ****ing movie?

What was with the shitty, out of place rap music?

Tarantino usually chooses his music very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    What about Idris Elba?

Thats actually a really good pick