Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: FINISHING AT THE RIM using Athletic ability

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    Learn how to use both hands and also how to put "English" on the ball i.e spin it so even though you might not make it all the way out to the other side of the rim or get bumped off your path (btw bulk up so that doesn't happen, I'm 6'0 220) you can throw up like high up off the top and it'll hit then curve back in. It's effective, neat looking, plus it pisses people off then I do. I can literally stand underneath the rim both feet planted, throw the ball to my right up and damn near touch the right corner of the backboard with it, and make it curve back

I have been practicing the spinning, I watched Chris Paul/Allen Iverson do it and they are undersized so I will add it to my game. The 2 foot jump stop is what I need to work on as well because I feel I settle for 1 foot drives which sometimes are not as effective when getting in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    nope I lift weights a lot but just not for mass especially when playing basketball. I just wanted strength, explosiveness and quickness. In the offseason Ill consider adding weight but tryouts are in 4 days so too late now. The pump fakes work well against almost all players my age because they just want to abuse the shot. When going for a layup like automajic said maybe if I jump into the defender and put the body on them I can get the leverage and finish.
    Yea I'm not advising you to start lifting a bunch of weights in season that would be dumb and your gains would be a lot less with all the cardio you get form playing. You have to go heavy though and actually put some work into it if it's something you think you might want to do.

Definitely put your body into your defenders tho... it get's them off balance and they can't elevate as high to try and block your shot. I have a friend who is a great shot blocker and is 3 inches taller than me and I am able to get into his body to where he can't block my shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea I'm not advising you to start lifting a bunch of weights in season that would be dumb and your gains would be a lot less with all the cardio you get form playing. You have to go heavy though and actually put some work into it if it's something you think you might want to do.

Definitely put your body into your defenders tho... it get's them off balance and they can't elevate as high to try and block your shot. I have a friend who is a great shot blocker and is 3 inches taller than me and I am able to get into his body to where he can't block my shot.

I began to body my defenders more that way i finish more efficiently. Still have to get better at using the backboard better.

College superstar

Just takes practice and confidence during games. Play more and you'll get used to it.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

I'm in a similar situation as OP was. 6'0 143 pounds right now.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    I'm in a similar situation as OP was. 6'0 143 pounds right now.
    Learn the euro step and work on your weak hand.

work on your core strength and dont be afraid of contact. when finishing at the rim, if there is going to be contact, you should initiate it first to prevent shot blockers from getting up in the air to challenge your shot. Iverson, Marbury, those guys were amazing at doing that, Chris Paul and Derrick Rose are others that do it well. They never allow the defender to make contact first. Think of it as a race to the top, if you win youll probably have a good chance of getting an open look at the rim/glass

Serious playground baller

I'm 5'10 and about 185 and at 34 I'm probably just about as athletic as I've ever been. The only downfall I see to having more weight is it seems to take a toll on my body. Hit the weights just make sure you keep working on your game after you hit the weights. I think my biggest downfall is that I spend my 20's in the weight room and didn't start playing basketball till I after I turned 30. I'm not sure if you said how old you are or not but if your fully grown I would definitely try to add some muscle. If done correctly it will make you more athletic and add to your vertical. I'm still working on using my strength in the game but it seems to be coming along.

When I was spending most of my time in the gym and weighed about 200 lb's I had no trouble jumping up and grabbing the rim. my vertical was 36" at the time. Unfortunately it has dropped a good bit since then mostly because my ankles are so torn up and lack flexibility.
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 12-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Some good advice here. A few lbs in the offseason won't hurt you. 4 years ago at the YMCA and open gyms I was at we played 4 days out of 7. I played against 16 - 25 years olds mainly who were fast, most of which played for their HS or intramural college. I was 30 then, 6'1 and dropped from 200 to 178. Just this small drop in weight made a big impact on my game. I had no problem scoring, but those last few games you really have to push yourself. I did notice however that getting hit in the air caused me to have to alter my shot more, due to less control from being lighter. Ya, running for 3 miles on a treadmill then playing 2-3 hours of full court ball for 200 days out of the year, 4 years straight put quite a toll on my feet, but not so much so that I can't hang in the 30 and over league. Everything is like slow motion in this league compared to the fast pace games I used to play in and this will probably hurt my game in the long run. I need to mix in a few games with the younger crowd from time to time.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    Learn how to use both hands and also how to put "English" on the ball i.e spin it so even though you might not make it all the way out to the other side of the rim or get bumped off your path (btw bulk up so that doesn't happen, I'm 6'0 220) you can throw up like high up off the top and it'll hit then curve back in. It's effective, neat looking, plus it pisses people off then I do. I can literally stand underneath the rim both feet planted, throw the ball to my right up and damn near touch the right corner of the backboard with it, and make it curve back
    lol this. ***** pisses me the F*CK off when im playing good defense on a guy and hes in a bad position, but does those fukken layups that have spin on them and get them in lol