Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Again, it's amazing how this kid, who is being bashed as a weakling and underdeveloped, had managed to dominate the NCAA this year. We seem to be missing the big picture; all of this says an awful lot about athleticism vs. skill. If people want to let him drop in the draft... be my guest... some team will pick him up and we'll all be looking foolish in the near future.

Banned

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    He's got too much length for most SFs to post him. They can push him all they want to, but he's going to have over a foot of standing reach advantage on most of them so as soon as they get that ball up in the air he's going to swat it unless they fire it from awkward angles, which can be as bad as getting blocked.
    I'm not going to assume he's gonna block shots left and right. All a smart player needs to do on a rookie is pump fake and get under his arm. Draw a foul or have a clear 5 footer.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)
    He is prepared...to play basketball. And that is not the same thing, or even similar, to the bench press. If you want to talk about strenght, his leg press numbers are actually far more important. Question for anyone that thinks his bench press is a major issue: What plays will his inability to overpower opponents with his upper body be a problem? Other than getting and1s it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Seriously, guy.

You have got to cut that out. That is annoying and pointless.
    You're talking to a stubborn individual who will reply about how he isnt bothering you, he is talkin basketball blah blah blah ontop of asking you to relax because he takes your feelings into consideration. If you reply to him just start your post off with "You're a dyckhead..." then get into your point. Its what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by LakerRaider
    What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.
    I have never heard of the National Football League. Is there another, generally accepted name that it is known by?

Local High School Star

I have never heard of the National Football League. Is there another, generally accepted name that it is known by?

NFL (National Football League)

Quote Originally Posted by hippos
    I'm not going to assume he's gonna block shots left and right. All a smart player needs to do on a rookie is pump fake and get under his arm. Draw a foul or have a clear 5 footer.
    Here's the thing: If you have a foot of reach advantage you can wait for the shooter to jump before you go for the block. That's why length is such a major advantage. He'll have problems with d like most rookies do but that's definitely not something that ought to be held against him. If it was really so easy to post taller guys with naught but a strength advantage guys like Antonio Gates wouldn't wind up in the NFL.

Banned

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Again, it's amazing how this kid, who is being bashed as a weakling and underdeveloped, had managed to dominate the NCAA this year. We seem to be missing the big picture; all of this says an awful lot about athleticism vs. skill. If people want to let him drop in the draft... be my guest... some team will pick him up and we'll all be looking foolish in the near future.
    Big 12 had no big men. See what happened when he went up against a group bigs that are aggresive and enjoy contact (MSU). He had a subpar game and Texas lossed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I find that hard to believe. Maybe genetics played a part in that? But Durant is rail thin. When I first started lifting weights I had to start out using the bar to get down the technique then gradually add weight. Lifting 185 took time. And I played sports and boxed. So i was in shape. Just not strong. Just never lifted any weights. But I remember kids who just genetically had bodies like they lifted before and didnt. And they could do more weight then me. Maybe you were one of those kids.

185 is basically 2 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates. Bar is generally 45lbs on its own. I just dont see a mofo who never lifted sitting down and pushing that off thier chest like you did. I can see Durant not lifting 185 once before i can see 2-3 sets of 10 at 185 from someone who never lifted weights a day in his life. Sorry.
    Well, I did it. I have no reason to lie, really -- it's not like I'm flapping about pressing 300+ pounds or something. 185 isn't that big of a deal. And yeah, I've been told that I'm naturally strong; I'm also very broad-shouldered. If I lifted weights for a few years I'd probably look like DHoward, since everyone always thinks I lift as it is because of my chest/shoulders.
    Last edited by Loki; 06-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.

you've obviously never played at a high level of organized ball before.

strenght means everything.

if you are not strong, and you play against very tall and strong guys, you will get no layups. if you are in that situation, you better pray your jumpshot never fails

NFL (National Football League)
    Ahh, that makes sense. How 'bout using the generally accepted name from now on instead of making Laker fans look like retards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Here's the thing: If you have a foot of reach advantage you can wait for the shooter to jump before you go for the block. That's why length is such a major advantage. He'll have problems with d like most rookies do but that's definitely not something that ought to be held against him. If it was really so easy to post taller guys with naught but a strength advantage guys like Antonio Gates wouldn't wind up in the NFL.
    You lead me to my next point. How is he going to defend small forwards on the perimter that are much quicker than him? He doesn't have great lateral quickness. His stature and the way he defends makes me believe he's gonna get crossed up a lot.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
    you've obviously never played at a high level of organized ball before.

strenght means everything.

if you are not strong, and you play against very tall and strong guys, you will get no layups. if you are in that situation, you better pray your jumpshot never fails

Look at Tayshaun Prince and how skinny he is, yet he's one of the better defenders of the league.

Local High School Star

Ahh, that makes sense. How 'bout using the generally accepted name from now on instead of making Laker fans look like retards.

Wow, you think I'm a representative of all Los Angeles Lakers fans??? Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but unfortunately I don't represent all Los Angeles Lakers fans. Now, quit responding to me and get back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by hippos
    You lead me to my next point. How is he going to defend small forwards on the perimter that are much quicker than him? He doesn't have great lateral quickness. His stature and the way he defends makes me believe he's gonna get crossed up a lot.
    That could be a problem, sure. But not getting posted up by sfs. Only centers and power forwards would have the height to really take advantage of Durant's lack of muscle.